• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Update 65 - 5/28/12 - AXELROD: Small Farming Community to Crossroads

Sign in to follow this  
packersfan

Update 65 - AXELROD: Small Farm Community to Crossroads

I have had these pictures laying around for a while. Here is another little community that has now been enveloped by the expansion of Martin. On the street map, I still have Axelrod's town limits and street names, though, it has been annexed by the City of Martin.

0165052812.jpg

Axelrod was just a small community along Hawthorne Pike (D-34).

0265052812.jpg

South 32nd Street is expanded south to Axelrod Avenue. The City of Martin is poised to expand into the farmland surrounding Axelrod.

0365052812.jpg

Shops along D-34 in Axelrod. We can see a gas station at the upper part of the picture.

0465052812.jpg

Axelrod's streets are upgraded from dirt to packed gravel.

0565052812.jpg

As the City of Martin overtakes Axelrod, the intersection of West Axelrod Avenue, South 40th Street, and West Hawthorne Avenue (D-34, N-45) is completely rebuilt.

0665052812.jpg

0765052812.jpg

Old Axelrod is certainly no longer a farming community.

0865052812.jpg

Now many years later even the City of Martin is starting to rot as houses are abandoned and empty lots appear more and more.

0965052812.jpg

1065052812.jpg

1165052812.jpg

Wenzel Commuter Rail Hawthorne-Martin Line and WTAMetro Red Line 1.

1265052812.jpg

1365052812.jpg

1465052812.jpg

Today's update is shaded white. Last week's update is just south of where we are today.

1565052812.jpg

Sometimes I hit a rut, but I think I'll start hammering away building again. I think I may have to restart the St. Paul tile (so far only seen in Update 5, I believe. It will be a shame since the design of that downtown was kind of cool and shortsighted, haha.

Check out the District of Wenzel Street Map to get an idea where we are.

Sign in to follow this  

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Beautiful city but I didn't expect to see empty lots. If you want charred houses, you can put a fire station in the area then set some houses on fire. The fire won't spread, but it'll give a charred look.

Share this comment

[quote name='corydreinhardt' timestamp='1338260264']
The transportation network is phenomenal!
[/quote]

Thanks. Really? Phenomenal? Thank you.

[quote name='ggamgus' timestamp='1338293554']
Beautiful city but I didn't expect to see empty lots. If you want charred houses, you can put a fire station in the area then set some houses on fire. The fire won't spread, but it'll give a charred look.
[/quote]

There are many empty lots in Milwaukee. I'll have to take your advice and char some houses and burn some down just to give different looks. :D

Share this comment

Those last two shots look wonderful. And then, of course, your stellar region views/maps :P

It's looking as wonderful as always, how's your downtown looking these days?

Share this comment

Great update. That's what I think the destiny of SC4: Showing the beautiful ways of how cities develope worldwide. I'm an avid reader...

Share this comment

[quote name='packerfan386' timestamp='1338351243']
I really like the way your farmland is set up in the region view, very Wisconsin'y! :)
[/quote]

Maybe, though I took more inspiration from Illinois and Iowa, etc, since Wisconsin has far smaller and irregular farms, haha, but yes the inspiration from home is there.

[quote name='k50dude' timestamp='1338354644']
Those last two shots look wonderful. And then, of course, your stellar region views/maps :P

It's looking as wonderful as always, how's your downtown looking these days?
[/quote]

I would love to really renovate downtown again, but that tile runs so sluggishly and crashes to desktop...I do need to post pictures of what I do have there, though, haha.

[quote name='westy177' timestamp='1338372783']
amazing love it how every single stretch of asphalt is named EPIC
[/quote]

Just like in real life.

[quote name='grstudios' timestamp='1338409205']
Great update. That's what I think the destiny of SC4: Showing the beautiful ways of how cities develope worldwide. I'm an avid reader...
[/quote]

Yeah, "natural growth" has always been something I wanted to do in my journals. I tried with Rabourn and Sessquenna, but District of Wenzel has been the most successful in terms of small communities and farms being almost all placed before expansion changes the landscape.

Share this comment

[quote name='packersfan' timestamp='1338298712']

corydreinhardt, on , said:

The transportation network is phenomenal!

Thanks. Really? Phenomenal? Thank you.

ggamgus, on , said:

There are many empty lots in Milwaukee. I'll have to take your advice and char some houses and burn some down just to give different looks. :D
[/quote]

It's not the empty lots. But it's the green glow, the zot. I'm pretty sure that empty lots in Milwaukee don't glow green and have an arrow pointing at the street. :P

Share this comment

[quote name='ggamgus' timestamp='1338513920']
It's not the empty lots. But it's the green glow, the zot. I'm pretty sure that empty lots in Milwaukee don't glow green and have an arrow pointing at the street. :P
[/quote]

Haha. Oh, yeah, my bad. I should have covered those up with empty grass lots, since they seemed to refuse to grow.

Share this comment

[quote name='Bluthlucidity' timestamp='1338632247']
Your transit network is unparalleled. Absolutely incredible work.
[/quote]

Ha, I'm not so sure about that, but very much thanks!

Share this comment