• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

New SorGun

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Revisiting the town of New SorGun

SimCoug

New SorGun Masthead.jpg

Update 8
Revisiting the town of New SorGun
Fall 1853

Over a year has passed since we’ve visited the town of New SorGun, and the small settlement has seen some big changes. The mill has provided plenty of jobs for folks willing to move to the wilderness – and the area surrounding the mill has seen a number of new houses pop up.
Update 8 - 1 Mill Mosaic.jpg

Indian Point has grown too - here is a little animation showing the changes over the past year. (open animation pictures in a new tab if they are not working)
*animation*
5967a71da848c_Update8-2IndianPointAnimation.gif.a877f29d49a373c60d79da9209912d86.gif

The flood of business at the mill has made Mr. Yarahi a wealthy man. He built his family a fine home on a small hill overlooking the harbor.
5967a71f53eab_Update8-3YarahiHouse.jpg.db1bf31f4bfeb7b33b84784fa9a50d90.jpg

The corner of Main and Harbor has seen some new changes as well, T. Master built a storehouse near the docks to process all the goods that are beginning to flow into town.
*animation*
5967a7221e3f8_Update8-4MainHarbor.gif.a16f62cdfaf48d8d15b0a2ad59b6e7b6.gif

Once considered the outskirts of town, the cattle pen has seen a number of houses constructed to house the influx of settlers.
*animation*
5967a72500a1d_Update8-5Cattle.gif.3f1917e773f4c51d283e9b5df3457b75.gif

Now let’s take a stroll down Main street – starting at the far edge of town and finishing at the docks. Big changes in a years’ time, but the conditions for growth have been near perfect for this little community. Many would consider New SorGun a boomtown – perhaps it is true – but times are a-changin’ and nobody knows if the next year will be as good as the last.
Massive Mosaic – click for full size – 3mb
Update 8 - 6 Main St Mosaic.jpg

Despite the huge growth over the past year, the town is still lost among the surrounding wilderness. What will this community look like in 100 years? – only time will tell.
Massive Mosaic – click for full size – 1mb
5967a72df1043_Update8-7Overviewmosaic.thumb.jpg.509537cb36a4595416490013b977f2bc.jpg

Replies from last teaser:

Texan:
Very nice city! I can't wait to see the actual entry for it. I am sure its going to be great!

Thank you, and glad you stopped by.

kakado_to_save: Very good! :O i am expecting for more!

Thank you very much, and great job on the first entry of your WW2 CJ

Mastof:
Very Nice! Can't wait for it!

Thanks! Hopefully the new update was worth waiting for *:)

Fox:
Once again, nice update, and sorry I missed the last one. I liked that one better cause it had more pictures *:P
Stop with the teasers ... you are making cry for more!! :wub:

Glad you were able to catch the last update - Thanks for sticking around *:)

yarahi:
Been in my head ever since I saw these log photos.. So really just giving it back *:P
New Sorgun looks nice. Excited for the full update *:yes:

Hope you like the last update *:)

Simul8ter8:
uuuggghhhauuaaaghhgahaguaauaagaauh!
Translation:: *why must you tease me like this!

Like every mom says, good things come to those who wait. *:)

15 Comments

Recommended Comments

[color=#ff00cc]Love all the fantastic detail.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]You create such beautiful scenery pictures.[/color]

Share this comment

Outstanding stuff, work of art. I hope you're making regular backups of this city so you'll able to rediscover "how it was" when it has passed to the future.

Share this comment

Absolutely stunning , as always. I agree with Moskva about making the backups of this region. It'd be extremely cool to see an animation of one to two hundred years of growth. Congrats on breaking into Ben's top 10. This journal is certainly worthy of the accolades placed upon it.

Share this comment

[b][img]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/733/bestofthebestsmall.jpg[/img]
[size=2]CONGRATULATIONS!! THIS ENTRY WON [url="http://community.simtropolis.com/journals/2774/entry-16695-week-21-52112-52712/"]BEST OF THE BEST! - WEEKLY EDITION[/url] FOR THE CATEGORY [i][color=#0000FF]MOSAIC[/color][/i][/size][/b]

Share this comment

Directors Commentary:
The first appearance of animated .gifs *:)
A little clunky, but it's a start.  Ever since I started this CJ I had the idea in the back of my mind to show the progression of time.  Since I was doing a spin on the natural growth style, I wanted viewers to be able to see the progress over time.  Future entries show this much better, but I was basically cutting my teeth on these first gifs.  
You also get to see more of C.P.'s great 19th century houses in this update.  His lotting is top notch, so I didn't really do much except go in and remove all the car props.  Oops, guess I missed one... or two... or three... *:no:
Those damn light pols make another appearance... How did I not notice all these mistakes 5 years ago??
The last pic was quite a feat to create.  I wanted to get a sense of how small the settlement was compared to it's surrounding.  A region pic would work, but I liked the idea of seeing something from the farthest zoom in game.  I took about 15 images from the farthest zoom on the surrounding city tiles and then stitched them all together in photoshop.  I remember it being a super PITA, but I love the results.  So much so, I incorporated these types of images in many future entries.  I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.  
This was also the first time I made it onto the coveted Ben's Top Ten created by @Benedict.  I won't lie, I was pretty excited *:)
Thanks for stopping by!
*I am in the process of updating all the images in order to ensure they don't have broken links in the future - in addition I thought I would add a little commentary since it's been 5 years since these entries.

Share this comment