Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superchad

Some Big Problems with simtropolis

74 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • there are some things that bug me A TON on the new simtropolis, some are minor, but most are major locks internet explorer up. annoying pop-up reply, no pop up was better. i hate the new subscriptions, i liked getting notifications from every reply, it is better and i can have updates in my email, so i dont have to go to the site to view new posts after that notification. personal messages gone without warning, i was never warned that i would lose all my pms, i had some real importatnt ones in there. lack of sc4 and st based profile entrys, like favorite thing about rh, and stuff like computer specs. new topic button just above fourms. side bar navigation. big buttons on fourms. missing signatures. confusing buttons, they are at the bottom not top. text not showing up the way i typed it.

Silence knave! If you don't like it, then get the hades outta here! Stop complianing! Dirk did not work hard on the new simtropolis so people like you can whine and moan about it!

• Original Poster
  • just posting some problems, like how it locks ie up, i cant close it period, plus sometimes becuase of the new pop up posting, it doesnt post at all.

Originally posted by: superchad

lack of sc4 and st based profile entrys, like favorite thing about rh, and stuff like computer specs.quote>

Those were rather useless, imo.

Some of these issues could be solved by using the most holy Firefox.

• Original Poster
  • i hate firefox, i am using it right now becuase i cant get ie to close, all these realy annoy me and affect my life on st, maybe more age3 less sc4 because of it

No! You are NOT making me switch to Firefox, no matter what!

It's not that I don't like Firefox, it's just that I can't stand it when people tell me to change something when I'm totally fine with what I've got.

We're not telling you to change, we're just reccomending that you switch. Besides, then you can see your most loved .png's. face-icon-small-smile.gif

• Original Poster
  • not changing, ie is way easier to use, and can do things that firefox cant, thought i think it was something i did while editing my profile that locked ie up, probably posting a link to an image on the web and click browse, but i do wish the old subscription design was back.

I don't get it. I never had a problem with IE in my life. I never used anything else. Simtropolis works just fine for me.

About the other stuff. Yes the new forum is very different, but I think we needed a change anyway. Also don't forget that Simtropolis is much faster now. We will get used to it. Personally I like the new forum.

Oh wow...dude, seriously if you had very important PMs, you should've saved them elsewhere.  Other than that, Silence, Knave!  And remember, Dirk said, if you read, that there were STILL A FEW BUGS and that he was working on them. sheeesh!

Originally posted by: SC4 meister

Oh wow...dude, seriously if you had very important PMs, you should've saved them elsewhere. Other than that, Silence, Knave! And remember, Dirk said, if you read, that there were STILL A FEW BUGS and that he was working on them. sheeesh!quote>

Thank you! Been wanting to say that to a couple people.

Superchad, you just need to cool it and wait till the dirktator is completely finished with hs godly work. Remember he said there is still bugs in this system. I for one am a fan of this new layout, even more os than ST 4.0.

• Original Poster
  • ok, but once the bugs are fixed will there be an email notif for every reply, or an option for that.

EDIT: subscriptions are messed up, most of the topic names are Reply

there are some things that bug me A TON on the new simtropolis, some are minor, but most are major

locks internet explorer up.

annoying pop-up reply, no pop up was better.

i hate the new subscriptions, i liked getting notifications from every reply, it is better and i can have updates in my email, so i dont have to go to the site to view new posts after that notification.

personal messages gone without warning, i was never warned that i would lose all my pms, i had some real importatnt ones in there.

lack of sc4 and st based profile entrys, like favorite thing about rh, and stuff like computer specs.

new topic button just above fourms.

side bar navigation.

big buttons on fourms.

missing signatures.

confusing buttons, they are at the bottom not top.

text not showing up the way i typed it.quote>

1. you can have subscriptions go to your Email, mine do.  You can subscribe to a forum, or a thread. Take your pick.
    2. IE lockups?  Has not happened to me, it could be a pc-related issue.
    3. The popups streamline the forum activities.  That way we're not refreshing the forum each time we want to post a reply -- the old forum was like that and with hundreds of visitors it just bogged down on the server.  There's a reason why things are the way they are and why I liked these forums because of it:  performance improvements!
    4. SC4 related profile entries are being worked on as we speak.  Again, we opened these forums up so you guys can check it out, we did say there was much left to iron out and add over the next few days.
    5. You should not be storing *important* pms on these forums.  However, all your old PMs are saved.  There is a chance (if I have the time) that I will reimport them, but it is no guarantee.
    6. There is a reason why things are divided into sub categories -- again, performance performance performance -- the less redundant data we have displaying at any given time, the better for our server. 
    7. If you don't like the side menu, there's a HIDE button.  Use it!

Originally posted by: Praetorian Cohort

The only thing that bothers me about the new site is that only the first two and last pages of a thread are linked to in the forum. Other than that, I like it. The grey theme looks really nice.quote>

Judging by Dirks posts, it seems that it can be easily changed, and if not through forum options modded in. I'm really looking forward to seeing the full potential of the forums now. face-icon-small-smile.gif

• Original Poster
  • they are going to my email, just 2 things i would like fixed

1. the name of the topic is in the name of the message

2. i get replys for every post, or something like this, imagine if somebody posted a comment and later sombody posted an update, i recive the comment but no the update, with notifs for every reply i have ever CJ update  directly in my email.

it would be great if you could reimport my old pms, or at least some of them, at least i have backups of my signature.

It's entirely possible to do some heavy modding with these forums, it's a language I'm quite familiar with.. we'll see what happens...

Email notifications are only sent to you ONCE, until you revisit the thread.  If you never visit the thread again, you will not receive anymore subscription notifications.

This is a VAST improvement over the previous forums. Here's why:  Consider:  thousands of people sign up, subscribe to the forum, the forum is busy sending out subscription emails, months later, these people no longer care and they still keep getting emails: worse, they block the emails instead of UNsubscribing, and I get hundreds of bounces: just as bad their email (hotmail, yahoo etc) expires, or the mailbox is full, I get HUNDREDS of bounces until I personally log in as them and unsubscribe to their threads.  This was a sserious drawback of Idealbb, and it was a main cause of sucking up our bandwidth: thousands of emails being sent out to no one.

Again, there is a reason why things are the way they are.  Try to think more about the efficiency with which the site must run, not about your own personal preferences.

If there was any possibilty at all to get some or atleast a few of my pms back I'd be so very happy...

If I may...could I get back most of my pms from back in midsummer....

Other then that I kinda think the new ST is growing on me...face-icon-small-smile.gif

• Original Poster
  • is there a way to have only members that want the old form of subscriptions, then couldnt they ask a mod to allow them to, and i would realy appreciate it if i got the old system, maybe only mods could chosse which people where allowed those kinds of subscriptions.

EDIT: a better idea, since most pretty much all my important ones are in the cj sections, pehaps topic notifications everytime the topic starter posts, and for cjs like istrina, every time a member posts, something like that, please consider this or something similar to this.

AND, I quote...

Again, there is a reason why things are the way they are. Try to think more about the efficiency with which the site must run, not about your own personal preferences.quote>

is there a way to have only members that want the old form of subscriptions, then couldnt they ask a mod to allow them to, and i would realy appreciate it if i got the old system, maybe only mods could chosse which people where allowed those kinds of subscriptions.

quote>

I'm sure if Dirk wanted to, he could. But there are priorities and unfortunately that's probably far down on the list. Functionality is better than personal preference and, while it's a shame we can't have every little tidbit sorted and organized to our exact likings that's life. Learn to live with it.

I'm sorry to say this but you have no idea how snobbish you sound. Coming out so... brashly, demanding that Dirk do this, Dirk do that. He's put countless hours into this, staying up until 2am or later (although that's normal for him apparantly. face-icon-small-wink.gif ) on weekdays. That's dedication to Simtropolis. It's discouraging for him to come on here and see posts like yours demanding that he do your bidding for your personal benefit.

So just... be patient. The site isn't even fully up yet.

Change = Hard Sometimes but Change = Good & Necessary Most of the Time Personally I had just gotten used to 4.0 but the new 5.0 is growing on me quickly. Most noticeably is the Speed, Speed, and more Speed. Actually, I really like this new designed its very "Sleek, Professional, & Detailed". Yea the pm's are gone which I wish I still had some but I think that is minor. Just a little note to Dirk, I noticed this when I was pm'ing a link to someone. The COLOR of the words that are the hyperlink are almost identical to the color of the normal text in messages. If I am correct, 4.0 automatically highlighted a hyperlink word(s) as blue. This made it very easy to recognize the hyperlinks in a post. Other then that I want to congratulate you and all the other admins on your hard work building 5.0. i remember building a web page for a CSCI class about a year ago in college. It was a daunting task and was no where close to the Sleek Scheme you have designed thus far. I cant wait till you get the rest of the site working.....namely the STEX (I have a BAT I would like to upload) so cheers to the new SIMTROPOLIS, -trigger

For all those complainers - STOP being so selfish.

People Please,  give it time, it takes alot of work to get a web site up and running,  their will be issues and i know dirk will work very hard to get them ironed out.  remember, this place is free, and their alot of people to consider, not just yourself.  i give the new 5.0 a thumbs up.  sure their are things one might like to have the same or to change.  But that is life, we don't always get what we want, most of the time life gives you the short end of the stick - so deal with it.  be patient, wait for the it to be done.

i personnal would like to say great job to dirk and all the admin's, thanks for all you do for others. bunny.gifbunny.gifbunny.gif  in the Army with have a value called Selfless Servce, and you guys sure show that here with all you do for the community. So,  thank you.

teddyb4492

Dirk, You have done an amazing job!  I know that I haven't participated in the forums 2 much, but I have found this website to be absolutely wonderful (as I am addicted to SimCity4).

I think it has been mentioned before about not complaing...  This is a free website and you are NOT paying for a service or a monthly subscription fee.  There is a limit to what a server can do for a certain amount of money.  I know, I operate my own server.

Donate Money, and then perhaps you can have everything you want...
    My Donation to this website was probably some of the best spent bucks ever face-icon-small-happy.gif

On the profiles, there should be some indication that your updates were successful imho.

On an unrelated note, it's funny when people get their panties in bunch because someone has a critique. I would think that the admin of this site is smart enough to take critism well and mature enough not to require members smother him with platitudes. Indeed, he has shown that. Often, critiques are done in the best of intentions anyways, so there's no need to be upset, lol. Even more so, because such behaviour has a tinge of elitism, which imho is detrimental overall even if it is justifiable.

Anyways, looks promising otherwise. I'll save the rest of my comments until I see more of it.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering from that thread I made months ago, I am still working on that plugin playlist/database thing, but got sidetracked writing a 2D physics engine, a metacode framework, setting up a business, a network, a website and a million other things, lol.

• Original Poster
  • be nice if i got notifs, ONLY from the topic starter for CJs, so i only get updates, also i cant wait till the stex is back up, and till the notifs have the topic name in there subject.

Please be patient, the new system has only just started up and we can't expect everything to be perfect right from the very beginning, give dirk some time to fix bugs and put the rest of the website up and you will see that Simtropolis will be better. Excellent Job so far with the update dirk! face-icon-small-happy.gif