ChrisK76

Right click quick scroll on Aspyr 1.1.1

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello,

I downloaded Aspyr SC4 on my Mac and was able to load years of play from one region map from my days on a Windows machine to my iMac a couple years back. What I don’t understand is that the right click fast scroll doesn’t seem to work on my iMac machine. The zoom is also responsive in a terrible way, moves in and out way too fast and poor control. I can’t seem to get used to how dreadfully slow it is using edge scrolling to navigate around and spent hours searching this site tonight to see if there is some kind of solution that would help me get back to playing the game again. When trying to lay down roads, move fast along borders and use zoom it just seems to take forever to move about the map. Are my days on SC4 over for good? Please help.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the welcome, I am glad to be here. Hopefully someone who is familiar can help me out here.

5 minutes ago, ChrisK76 said:

Hopefully someone who is familiar can help me out here.

I hope so too. (We have so few Mac peeps tho it might be some time before they log in and notice your topic.)

From other things I've read in this section, is it possible for you to run Wine or Boot Camp or such and use the Gog Version? As I understand it that would get you past the Plugins limit as well as allowing Nightlights.

• Original Poster
  • I was reading about this and am curious, Wine or Boot Camp, what are these?  I see the Gog Version you mention takes me to the SimCity 4 for Windows page.  Are Wine and Boot Camp Windows PC emulators for Mac?

7 minutes ago, ChrisK76 said:

Are Wine and Boot Camp Windows PC emulators for Mac?

Yes, for Wine. It's an emulator. I used it once on a Linux test comp and it allows Windoze programs to be run. I'm sure it's the same concept for a Mac tho I've never tried it on one. For the Boot Camp, I believe that's a way to partition the hard drive and boot into the Mac OS or Windoze.

You'd need to research tho as this is not my area of expertise. *;) And should the Gog for Windoze version be an option with either of the above you can wait till they put it on sale. Two or three times per year they drop the price to $4.99 USD.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for clairifying that for me. I thought that’s what was meant by that. I am going to start investigating those while I wait for an answer on my question here. I was debating doing something like that because my brother did it for my mom on her Mac a few years back for some games she liked. Since it looks like the Aspyr game will not work much longer anyhow on Mac after a future upgrade coming in 2018 this might be the way to go. 

Macs (the default mice at least), only have a single mouse button. Whilst you can plug in a mouse including a second button (the right/alt click), whether it will work or not isn't clear. For starters you absolutely need to check the drivers for it are installed, also that the O/S has properly detected it as having the correct number of buttons.

But after that, if the Aspyr version doesn't have support for right clicking, there wouldn't be a lot you could do either way. That last part is something only those using the Mac version of the game will likely be able to comment upon.

• Original Poster
  • Oh my gosh, thank you so much, for a techie wannabe like myself I never realized that right click was not enabled in my settings. I had never had to play around with this before. You helped me to figure it out. The mouse settings in the computer wasn’t turned on even though I have a two sided clicking mouse. Now does anyone know what game pacs I should download to enhance my Aspyr experience on the iMac? I saw that there are some building packs or enhancements available to download on here.  Also would like to understand what it means that SC4 may not be supported anymore on the Apple machines later this year due to an upgrade, what do I need to do to be able to play the game again after Apple stops supporting it? Now that I finally got it working again I don’t want to lose it. Very excited, Thanks again for your help.

7 minutes ago, ChrisK76 said:

Also would like to understand what it means that SC4 may not be supported anymore on the Apple machines later this year due to an upgrade, what do I need to do to be able to play the game again after Apple stops supporting it? Now that I finally got it working again I don’t want to lose it.

There is a topic which might have some answers for you about this: Apple Phasing Out Support for 32-bit Applications in 2018; SC4, SC2013 Likely Affected

9 minutes ago, ChrisK76 said:

Now does anyone know what game pacs I should download to enhance my Aspyr experience on the iMac?

Afaik, you can use pretty much anything Windoze versions use other than you might need to jump thru some extra hoops to get the stuff installed. Like if it's all in a self extracting installer .exe program you'd need to use File Juicer to get the files out. Ofc, you won't be able to see nightlights since the Mac version of the game doesn't have that patch.

For this part I'd suggest you could start a new topic in SimCity 4 General Discussion and ask there since way more peeps read that forum than here. Provide information about what types of cities you like to design and that'll help peeps know what to recommend.  Btw, there're several linkys in my About Me page for starting out which might interest you. (Linky in my signature.)

It sounds like the problem is that you’re unable to scroll using the mouse around the map. I think your problem may be in the Preference section of the program sometimes the box that enable scrolling become unchecked. It’s happened to me at least twice