Cyclone Boom

Tutorial: Method for Automated SimCity 4 Screen Mode Switching

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I am always amazed at the level of detail you employ when creating tutorials. This is both thorough and a delightful help for advanced players to automate the mundane task of swapping specific mods in or out of the plugins folder. It saves time and insures there are no mistakes.

There was a question some time back where the player wanted to use different specific terrain mods on a per city tile basis. This would be ideal for that as well.

18 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

in Windows it's possible to use the "Auto-hide the taskbar" option from Taskbar Properties. This does what it says, and makes the taskbar hidden from view when not hovered over. However, this requires toggling back the setting once exiting the game.

Well, you're not required to change back. Some of you might take a liking to auto-hide and decide to keep it.

• Original Poster
  • 9 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I am always amazed at the level of detail you employ when creating tutorials.

I suppose anything worth doing is worth overdoing. *:)

9 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

There was a question some time back where the player wanted to use different specific terrain mods on a per city tile basis. This would be ideal for that as well.

I can certainly see potential scope here for other mods. In terms of a single file it'd be the case of continuing on with two scripts: One for with the mod, the other for without. Then modifying the File= <File Name> option in both. Finally if so desired, adjusting the parameters to make each start either windowed ( -w ) or full screen ( -f ).

The same I suspect could also be done by moving an entire folder containing multiple files. Or expanding the code to perform additional move processes.

1 hour ago, jeffryfisher said:

Well, you're not required to change back. Some of you might take a liking to auto-hide and decide to keep it.

True, it is indeed the personal choice of each user as with any option. The only reason I say "required" is since to restore the configuration how it was before starting the game and using said workaround, the auto-hide setting must be toggled back and unchecked.

Of course in the scope of this tutorial, preserving the Taskbar is needed or else there probably isn't much point in raising the UI when running windowed. *;)

You can also use a program to assist.

I use Shiftwindow. All you need to do is specify what monitor and what program you want to be full screen and your window'd program now fits perfectly. You can also use your other monitor without trouble at all!

Just hit trigger and you're all set!

aHbEuf7.png

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, Haljackey said:

All you need to do is specify what monitor and what program you want to be full screen and your window'd program now fits perfectly.

Understandably command line scripts aren't for everyone.

So from what I gather, ShiftWindow would replace the need to raise the UI since the window could be stretched to full screen. Or alternatively by adjusting the "Shift to" options, for a specified width and height with coordinates. Then it would be possible to position and resize the game's window above the Taskbar if so desired. Is that correct?

Really the idea behind my method is for there to be two shortcuts, allowing the game to be started either way with a familiar double click. Which in turn moves the mod file in or out of one's Plugins folder to benefit from the raised UI (keeping the Taskbar visible). Or whenever preferred, to run SC4 in full screen as normal. Also being batch scripts that Windows recognises by default, they aren't dependent on external programs which may not be a like-for-like solution to move the mod file as described.

I'm also curious on the possible other uses to manage sets of custom content. Because batch files are simply a set of repeatable instructions.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By warrior
        This tiny mod simply moves the the region name and the whole mayor user interface up by about 40 pixels.
        Why would you want to do that?
        Well if you change the games resolution to the same size as your screen, but run it in window mode it will look almost full screen (there will be no borders) but you will still have the windows taskbar at the bottom allowing you to switch applications easily and without waiting for the screen to go black and then go to the desktop as it does in full screen mode. The trouble with this is that the windows task bar covers up some of the UI. So this mod just moves the UI above the taskbar.
        Only for people who have their windows taskbar on the bottom of the screen (most people)

Setup
        To set SimCity to Windowed mode with the same resolution as you screen:
        Right click the SimCity 4 Icon, Click properties.
          In the target box after the last double quote (") type this (with the spaces, without quotes):
        -w -customresolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32
          Replace the 1920x1080 with your screen resolution, so if you have a 1600x1200 resolution you would type:
        -w -customresolution:enabled -r1600x1200x32
          Click Apply and then OK and start SimCity 4.  
        Installation
        There is only one file in the zip which can go anywhere in the plugins folder.
        It is incompatible with SimMars, The black UI mod (found on a Japanese site), and another other mod that recolours or modifies only the 2 sections of UI shown in the above screen shots.
        It works fine with mods that modify other parts of the UI such as the God Terraforming in mayor Mode.

Doesn't work on a 800x600 resolution, however hardly anybody has this resolution, and if you are playing at 800x600 you won't want to play in a window at that resolution, you'll what all the screen you can get.
        (Based on Windows 7's taskbar, which is thicker than previous Taskbars. Vut this still works on other operating systems.)
        This mod is only 7KB.
        If you have a problem use the comments, there is no support thread for this, but I will quite happily answer questions/problems in the comments here on the STEX.
      • By Macwelshman
        Would anyone be able to help with a script that sets various road settings, such as segment colour or road halfwidth in the road editor. I've tried creating a script but my knowledge is poor. If the majority of the settings could be set into a script it would speed up the process loads. Even if someone gives me a way of setting one item I should be able to follow that logic to adjust the others. Thanks!
      • By Framit
        Hello. I trying to build sunken Walls. I have drawn a model in Sketchup and it looks well in the asset editor, but i can't sink it into floor. I have try many solutiions, the NO BASE script, sunken templates, I have even made a script to change mesh bounds value. Nothing at all.  I have read a lot of post in differents fórums. Nothing at all. I'm missing something and I don't know what it is. Helpplease (excuse my english).

• By Prophet42
        I have always wonderd if anybody else has ever noticed that the Rotate function in SimCity 4 Deluxe is reversed?  My SC4 install is on a Windows 7 machine.  When I hover over the rotate map arrow on the left, the pop up says 'clockwise' and the arrow does show the clockwise direction.  When I click on it, the map rotates counterclockwise.  When I hover over the rotate map arrow on the right, the pop up says 'counterclockwise' and the arrow does show the counterclockwise direction.  When I click on it, the map rotates clockwise.
        As far as I can remember, my SC4 has always done this.  Even when I had it installed on my XP desktop.  Just curious, is this common knowledge? Has anybody else noticed this on their game?
        I know it's not a big deal, and I have adjusted to this idiosyncrasy, but sometimes it bothers my sense of engineering logic.  At least the zoom +/- works correctly.
        I wonder what other idiosyncrasies people have noticed.?