TekindusT

What do the stars under our usernames mean?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was just taking a look to the Milestone thread and realized I have no idea what those stars under our usernames and ranks in the forums mean. Sure they have a logic behind but it's a bit difficult to see for me, except that the users with most posts have their first star inside a shield or inside a banner...? But why some users with less posts have 5 stars and others have only 1 but the first one is shielded... ? Are they tied to our post count? You get it. Any Simtropolite ready to shed some light on this matter for me?

I'm not sure about it, but I believe it's related only with the number of posts and the different shields are like levels. For example, until a certain number of posts there are no shields, only stars. When the user surpasses the posts limit number for 5 stars the first shield is added with only 1 star. The same thing will happen until the user reaches the next limit for that shield. So when the member has only 1 star, but has more posts than a 5 star member, he/she probably has a higher shield level.

• Original Poster
  • @JP Schriefer Yeah, more or less that I could deduct after writing my post (when I really started thinking hard about it and looking at people's stars), but for example... it looks like at some point the stars which are "blank" inside, like yours, become at some point "full" like mine...*:???:.

I can confirm @JP Schriefer's observation is spot on. *:yes:

They're ranks tied to your content count (posts + other site items). As this increases, you'll reach levels which provides:

1. A new custom user title (e.g. "Resident" to "Foot Soldier").
    2. At certain levels, a new accompanying rank image.

Reputation is not a factor here, as that uses a separate rank system.

These images essentially contain a maximum of 5 slots featuring stars or shields. Each subsequent rank will add a new star, until you receive the 'upgraded' style. In theory, they are supposed to increase in grandeur the higher you reach.

The rank earned by @A Nonny Moose is the highest active, and was specially made gold in tribute:  pip_a_31_5222a.png.45aa0f4605099d8a69459

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RandyE
        As @CorinaMarie mentions below, this poll is only advisory, not an official poll.   The poll results represent the opinions of members participating.
      • By RandyE
        Previews: (1) Clouds (2) Stars (3) Forest (4) Streets (5) Ocean (6) Snowfall (7) Cityscape

17 Folders of Background Sets for SC4 These are 17 sets of backgrounds for the City (Mayor) view that are easily installed, changed, or switched back to the default blueprint grid background that comes with the game.  I've included a high contrast version of the default so the grid can be seen clearly. Each of the 5 background files in each folder corresponds to a zoom level from the widest overview to narrowest close-up view in the game.
             The default backgrounds included with the game are found in the form of 5 .png graphics files named Background3D0.png through to Background3D4.png in the SC4 install directory under Plugins. Before using the replacement sets of backgrounds make a backup copy of the 5 default files that come with the game. I zip them up in a zip folder and leave them in the Plugins folder for easy access.

Further Instructions for Installing Region and City View Backgrounds
        Initially, I found a set of solid color backgrounds which demonstrated how easy it is to create and switch backgrounds, so for the basic instructions and a solid color set refer to the file Custom Region View Backgrounds which includes solid colors for the region view as well as the city view.     Custom Region View Backgrounds  
        Creating the Backgrounds The cloud and star pictures were adapted from seamless background textures found in the commons. All other pictures are adapted from SC4 graphics, and previews as created using the in-game terra-former.

The following details are not necessary for installation and use of these backgrounds but are provided for further interest in the topic. City View Backgrounds Technical Details There are 5 backgrounds in each folder for each of the 5 zoom levels from 0 to 4. In the game there are actually 6 zoom levels but the same background is used for zoom 5 (4) and 6.

For the cloud backgrounds and mostly for the star backgrounds I did not adjust magnification as the sky and stars normally appear fixed in the sky from ground perspective.

The cloud backgrounds are high brightness which may be further adapted using a paint program. The textures will maintain their form for a variety of changes to saturation and hue, brightness and contrast.

Each zoom level 'in' from the outermost zoom is 2x in magnitude, so each zoom 'in' is twice as close as the previous zoom. The backgrounds are 128x128 pixels .png formatted at 16m colors.
        The magnifications are 2048 (16x), 1024(8x), 512(4x), 256(2x), 128(1x) for the canvas sizes. 512 pixels = 1 kilometer and 2048 pixels = 4 kilometers total for the large tile.
        The picture you start with will be transformed into the isometric view in the game. Vertical and horizontal lines are shifted to an isometric flat plane background so some adjustments must be made to keep lines vertical and horizontal.
        Vertical lines are achieved by subtracting 22° (90°-23°=67° ). So if you have a picture that has right angles, vertical shapes that you want to appear vertically in the city view, subtract 23°, or rotate 23° to the left to get the picture upright.
           Horizontal lines change slightly with zoom level above zoom zero, they will appear parallel at zoom 0, but slightly obtuse from zoom 1 to 4. The horizon can be brought back parallel by subtracting 5° from zoom zero through to zoom 3. I did not bother adjusting the horizontal as my backgrounds conform to the isometric horizon of the game view, skewed only slightly by 5°.

Isometric angles:

Zoom 0: 30° (isometric)
        Zoom 1: 35°
        Zoom 2: 40°
        Zoom 3 and 4: 45°

The city view rotation is around a square as similar to the axis of a compass. The vertical lines become horizontal when rotated east and west, but remain vertical north and south.

I noticed a slight stereoscopic effect at zoom 3 on the Heavy Starfield background.
        If you focus your eyes beyond the screen you may see SC4 in 3D field perspective.
        The effect is similar to autostereograms: "An autostereogram is a single-image stereogram (SIS), designed to create the visual illusion of a three-dimensional (3D) scene from a two-dimensional image."
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        Autostereogram

Please use the comment section below or PM if any questions, critiques or problems installing and using the backgrounds.

• By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        When I make a reply ina topic, I saw this message:
        Thanks.
      • By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        Security is important. Lots of sites have a security center. Imagine if I am a security researcher/white-hat hacker and I found an exploit. What should I do? Is there a security center? Is it private? Does the community have a good disclosure process?
        Thanks.
      • By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        The major redesign of the site header led by @corinagrigorovici (eh, @CorinaMarie) and @CycleDogg (again, I mean @Cyclone Boom) is awesome. A new logo is included in the top of the logomark (text as a logo). This change also brought a new thing, @A Nonny Moose memorial button with its tooltip. But, anything in the world isn't perfect. Simtropolis' header has some flaws. The logo location is above the logo, which not fine. This isn't a problem if the logo isn't too tall like the Walt Disney logo, but our logo is too tall. So, we need to resize our logo so the logo isn't too tall. Or, switch to unstacked version, like SimCity 4 Devotion or Ubuntu did. If two choices aren't sufficient, you may switch to logomark only version, while using the logo in cases like Twitter avatar. The memorial button location isn't fine, thanks to the very tall logo. The fix is relevant too, fix the logo first, then align the button if not correct.
        I hope you'll accept my suggestions. Sorry for mistakes.
        Thanks.