Jump to content
  • Announcement

    • Dirktator

      Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

      For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
Joe_Winko_From_YouTube

Exporting Milkshape Model Statue into SimCity4? help?

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I made this statue of myself in Milkshape 3D. here it is:

2ahz3i8.png

I really want to import it into Simcity 4 so i can put it in the center of my capital city. how would i do that though? is there a way to export from milkshape 3d into simcity 4?

i remember reading that you have to use a program called gmax, but i couldn't get it to work on my computer because i didnt know how to register it. 

is there any way for me to import this into simcity 4? any advice would be appreciated.

 

also, here's the polycount for the model: 

nvxs1d.png

 

please help <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible to import, however there will be a bit of a process involved.

The first thing you'd want to do when you export is you'll want to go to File>Export>Autodesk 3DS. This will be the first step you'll need to take. Since 3DS is one of the wider used formats of 3d modelling it's the best medium for going between programs.

Gmax was the standard program to download as the Building Architect Tool was designed around it. You wouldn't be able to run the BAT without Gmax, it's like the source for it. As far as 3DS Max, you can import almost anything as-is and you would need the BAT4Max to go with it and as someone with no experience with it, I can't actually verify it other than tell you it's an alternative. 

Then when you open up Gmax, go to Import and then look for your 3DS file. It will prompt you for unit scaling but you may have to re-orient your model when it comes through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 5 minutes ago, airman15 said:

    It's possible to import, however there will be a bit of a process involved.

    The first thing you'd want to do when you export is you'll want to go to File>Export>Autodesk 3DS. This will be the first step you'll need to take. Since 3DS is one of the wider used formats of 3d modelling it's the best medium for going between programs.

    Gmax was the standard program to download as the Building Architect Tool was designed around it. You wouldn't be able to run the BAT without Gmax, it's like the source for it. As far as 3DS Max, you can import almost anything as-is and you would need the BAT4Max to go with it and as someone with no experience with it, I can't actually verify it other than tell you it's an alternative. 

    Then when you open up Gmax, go to Import and then look for your 3DS file. It will prompt you for unit scaling but you may have to re-orient your model when it comes through.

    i couldn't get 3DS max to work on my computer either though :/ 

    what about blender? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Blender is another program that is compatible with 3DS, sot he export from MilkShape will be the same as it would be for Gmax. However I don't think it would be possible to export to a SC4Model from it.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Just now, airman15 said:

    Blender is another program that is compatible with 3DS, sot he export from MilkShape will be the same as it would be for Gmax. However I don't think it would be possible to export to a SC4Model from it.

    so there's no way for me to get the model into simcity 4 without 3DS max or Gmax?

    and the only reason why i couldn't get Gmax to work is because i didnt know how to get it registered. but is there a way to still do it now? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    For registration, there are two ways to go about it. There are workarounds (which come as additional files you'll need to add to the file directory) offered through the Flight Simulator forums or if you go through the official site at Turbosquid, you can download Gmax with a serial number included.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 5 minutes ago, airman15 said:

    For registration, there are two ways to go about it. There are workarounds (which come as additional files you'll need to add to the file directory) offered through the Flight Simulator forums or if you go through the official site at Turbosquid, you can download Gmax with a serial number included.

    ^thats where i downloaded gmx from. it includes the serial number too? the only file i got was the gmax12 application. i dont know how to access the serial number though

     

    UPDATE:

    wait a sec, i think i got it figured out. hold on...

     

    UPDATE: 

    it gave me an error message when i clicked submit :( 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Do you remember if there were any popups during the installation or if any text files were created after installing it? I'm looking at it again but it seems like they want you to register to it.

    If not, then I found a link to the workaround. It's the 2nd to last one near the bottom of the first post. Its normally this would be for those who don't have an internet connection but it should work just the same.

    Sorry for the confusion. I don't remember this being the process to getting Gmax and the BAT up and running.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, airman15 said:

    Do you remember if there were any popups during the installation or if any text files were created after installing it? I'm looking at it again but it seems like they want you to register to it.

    If not, then I found a link to the workaround. It's the 2nd to last one near the bottom of the first post. Its normally this would be for those who don't have an internet connection but it should work just the same.

    Sorry for the confusion. I don't remember this being the process to getting Gmax and the BAT up and running.

     

    sorry for the late reply. i got Gmax to work with the workaround you linked. but what do i do from here?

    i still have the object in milkshape but how do i import it into simcity 4?

     

    UPDATE:

    i installed BAT i tried to load it up but i got this message:

    2ntiro9.png

    just for the record i got simcity 4 from origin. is that's why BAT isn't working? and is there a way around it? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Before you over-complicate things, you need to know one thing. You can make models in any number of applications, provided they will ultimately be capable of being opened in SC4BAT. But, if you don't have SC4BAT, you won't be able to make models for SC4. That's because SC4's isometric-based models need a very specific setup to export. Each program mentioned in this thread is a 3D-based modelling application. But, SC4 does not (for the most part) use 3D models, they are 2.5D (2D technically). Only SC4BAT contains the required components to successfully export models in a way that SimCity 4 can use.

    gMax is the baby brother of 3DS Max. SC4BAT is not an application, it's only a bunch of scripts that sit on top of gMax. Since that's proprietary, even 3DS Max users with BAT4MAx must use SC4BAT as part of the export process, there is no way around this.

    TurboSquid will let you register gMax, but you must create an account and request a registration key to do so.

    Now on to the bad news. If you only have an Origin version of SC4, you can not install SC4BAT. Despite being owned by EA, the Origin version is the worst digital version of SC4. A few years back, they were still selling an unpatched and un-patchable copy of the game. It was only after Tarkus intervened and made the issue public that Origin were shamed into including the original 13 year old patches in their copy. However, Origin have modified the original SC4 .EXE, this basically causes the checksum, used to validate the file as genuine, to register as non-genuine when you try to install SC4BAT, hence the error. Fixing it, is as simple as EA/Origin updating the SC4BAT installer, so it knows the modified Checksum for their new version. But, since they deny the very existence of their own tool (SC4BAT), that's not likely to ever happen.

    The only workaround requires you to have a CD-Based version of SC4:

    • Uninstall Origin version (and any others you might have) of SC4.
    • Install the Disk Version (note, it won't run on updated Windows systems, but it will install).
    • Install SC4 BAT
    • Uninstall the Disk Version.
    • Re-install the Origin version once more.

    This process would need to be repeated every time you wanted to re-install SC4BAT.

    Option B: Buy a better version of SC4. I paid 3,49€ for GoG's DRM free version last year. This years sales were even cheaper, but the regular price is frankly ridiculous for a 13 year old game. Don't be a mug, if you do this buy DRM-Free, which means avoid Steam. DRM is why the SC4 disks no longer work, it's also why Origin modified the SC4 files, causing this very problem in the first place.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 4 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

    The only workaround requires you to have a CD-Based version of SC4:

    • Uninstall Origin version (and any others you might have) of SC4.
    • Install the Disk Version (note, it won't run on updated Windows systems, but it will install).
    • Install SC4 BAT
    • Uninstall the Disk Version.
    • Re-install the Origin version once more.

     

    i do have another copy of simcity 4 but it's NOT simcity 4 deluxe. it's just the plain simcity 4 on disk. would it work with that?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Possibly, the only way to find out is to check. A checksum is like a digital signature, a "pin number" if you will. Programmed into the SC4BAT installer is a list of the Checksums it will accept. The files themselves always generate a new checksum if modified, so when EA modified it to add the DRM, that new checksum is no longer part of the installers list.

    In theory, I can't see why the checksum from the original SC4 wouldn't have been included. But, since only the Deluxe version supports custom content, it might be that they only included the checksums for the Deluxe versions.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 4 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

    Possibly, the only way to find out is to check. A checksum is like a digital signature, a "pin number" if you will. Programmed into the SC4BAT installer is a list of the Checksums it will accept. The files themselves always generate a new checksum if modified, so when EA modified it to add the DRM, that new checksum is no longer part of the installers list.

    In theory, I can't see why the checksum from the original SC4 wouldn't have been included. But, since only the Deluxe version supports custom content, it might be that they only included the checksums for the Deluxe versions.

     

    this is kinda complicated but im just double checking. by checking to see if it works, you mean:

    -uninstall the origin version of simcity 4 deluxe

    -install the disk version i have of the plain simcity 4

    -click/launch the SC4BATInstaller and see if it works?

    ^that's everything i should do?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yup that's about it. The reason you need to uninstall the Origin version is that the SC4BAT installer might still be looking at the Origin files otherwise. So to ensure the registry links to the correct files, the disk version must be the only one installed when you run the SC4BAT installation.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Well at least I can give you some good news. Because SC4 uses an isometric display, you can use as many polys/tri's as you like. What SC4BAT does is take the LOD, in the case of this object, a simple rectangle would suffice, and map 2D textures onto it. So in effect, you get all the detail of your high-poly model, but in-game it only has to render a simple rectangular box. This is because SC4 only has 4 rotations (angles) and 5 zooms, or to put it another way, 20 perspectives that can possibly be viewed. So unlike modern 3D games, we're free to be as detailed as we like. If you render it in so called HD, that's with textures twice the size, for such a small model, you can really produce something that looks fantastic.

    To put all this into perspective, I've a small shop model, the building is nothing truly complex. But it has a shelf with many items modelled separately upon it which you can see through the windows. That shelf, used three times comes to about 792,738 tri's by itself. It sure takes 3DS max down, but once rendered, it's just a simple box with a huge amount of detail to be seen. 2.5D for the win :D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, rsc204 said:

    Well at least I can give you some good news. Because SC4 uses an isometric display, you can use as many polys/tri's as you like. What SC4BAT does is take the LOD, in the case of this object, a simple rectangle would suffice, and map 2D textures onto it. So in effect, you get all the detail of your high-poly model, but in-game it only has to render a simple rectangular box. This is because SC4 only has 4 rotations (angles) and 5 zooms, or to put it another way, 20 perspectives that can possibly be viewed. So unlike modern 3D games, we're free to be as detailed as we like. If you render it in so called HD, that's with textures twice the size, for such a small model, you can really produce something that looks fantastic.

    To put all this into perspective, I've a small shop model, the building is nothing truly complex. But it has a shelf with many items modelled separately upon it which you can see through the windows. That shelf, used three times comes to about 792,738 tri's by itself. It sure takes 3DS max down, but once rendered, it's just a simple box with a huge amount of detail to be seen. 2.5D for the win :D

     

     

    well that's good to hear :)  im going to getting a new copy of the sims 4 deluxe soon :) then i'll finally be able to put the statue in my game :) 

    ALSO, just some background info, that statue is actually me. I'm planning on putting it in the center of my new region i'm making in SimCity 4 called Joe Winko Land. I'm going to have it in the center of the region at Joe Winko Capital City with me as the mayor.. obviously :P i'm going to be uploading gameplay footage of all of it too so be on the look out for it if ur interested :) 

    I managed to import it in the sims 2 though :) it turned out pretty decent! but it's huge!

    just thought that someone who comes across this might find it interesting :D lol 

    r9pfv4.png

    jrzqs5.png

    2qjejpw.png

    au8ca0.png

    2ilo5yf.png

    jueu1d.png

    m8mrm0.png

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • UPDATE: so i got my new copy of simcity 4 today, and i was able to get BAT to work. and i imported the 3ds file for the statue into BAT but, how do i export it and how do i add the texture?

     

    UPDATE: i figured out how to export it, but how would i add the texture? i had a png file i was using for the texture of it. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    SC4BAT is a complex application, it will take a little learning to work out the ins and outs of using it.

    Pressing the M key will bring up the Material Editor, which can be used for applying textures. You can also drag a texture from Windows Explorer onto the model itself to apply it. Although that may not always work as expected. You need to have correct UV mapping if your model has only one texture or it won't appear correctly mapped to the model. You can apply a UVMapping modifier (in the modify menu) with the object selected. But I'm really only explaining the very basics of the process here.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Similar Content

      • By chfzdn
        Hello,
        For those who want buy SC4 dirt cheap, fortunately there's a 75% discount for the game on GoG. The promo ends on June 19, 2018 12:59 AM GMT+3.
        Get the game for $5 at the page on GoG.
        By clicking the link, we will get some commissions from purchases. This is keeping the community alive. If you've some money left, please donate it to the community.
        Sorry, the promo is end. Due to some reasons, I can't active on Simtropolis since last week until now.
        Thanks.
      • By hrobi2
        So i have decided to come back to this game since 2010?11?ish a long time ago. I have the game on stream already so i can play on win10. I remember the basic beginning but i dont know what i need to do to get to skyscrapers. And im also interested in mods and buildings. And is there a reliable way to do multiplayer yet and if not it there a stable way or something? I do know that NAM existes and i will play with it (also can i have that in multiplayer too if my previous question is possible). Is there anything i should have or need to know. thanks 
      • By Mikimoto26
        Pegg Bank began as an experiment in city building using techniques that would prevent the Infinite Commuter Loop, an issue this Mayor has always dealt with.

        Named for the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car on the episode of Top Gear at the time, Simon Pegg.

        This coastal town began with 4 little towns in a surrounding region, only one being connected by a single road to the north.

        The town began along the coast, focusing on Manufacturing industry. Soon the growth spread to commercial and more people began to move in.




        Currently plaguing the city is the mass of commercial buildings that have taken over the majority of the coast. As seen in the photo above, it is the same time of building over and over.

        How can this city move beyond this sprawl of commercial?
        With hardly 20K sims living in Pegg Bank, upgrading to high density commercial is not an option at this point, even with the healthy budget with a surplus of at east a few thousand over expenses.

        Residential areas are compact, with the majority of buildings being constructed on a 1x1 tile.




        The residential developments are created in pods of 10x10 with roads or streets 2 tiles apart to lead the 1x1 homes to the main street down the middle. That main street will lead directly to the commercial (where the majority of sims work)




        How can this small city expand, knowing that the majority of land area will go to commercial builders?
      • By lmca9000
        hola amigos, tengo un problema, sou un modelador novato, (muy novato), hace unos dias se me ocurrio empezar a modelar un estadio que hay en mi ciudad para ponerlo en el SimCity y todo estaba bien, logre exportarlo del sketchup al BAT, pero a la hora de renderizarlo y exportatlo para poder ser usado en el juego el BAT me salio con un error codigo 6, no se que hacer, no se si el problema es mi computadora o el modelo o ambos, quisiera que me ayudaran a solucionarlo o podria yo enviar el modelo sketchup a alguien del grupo para que el pueda terminar de renderizarlo y enchufarlo al SimCity. 
        Mi computadora es de muy bajas especificaciones y bueno hago lo que puedo con lo poco que tengo, gracias, aqui hay algunas imagenes. 
         




      • By robdragon
        I'm totally confused!
        I thought that when you create a lot that the info that is in the sc4desc file is saved in the exemplar file of the lot. So in essence the sc4desc file would be useless after the lot was finished.
        But now it seems it may not be useless at all, I see that file in many uploads here and today I actually saw a comment from a lotter that the sc4desc was a required file!
        Can someone straighten me out is the sc4desc file useless after the lot is saved is is it a required file to include with the lot when you upload it and install it in the game?
        The reason I ask is that I've been blowing away the sc4desc file whenever I run into it, if it is actually required then I need to stop doing that before I get myself in trouble.
        TIA
        Dazed and Confused!
        Brad (aka robdragon)
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×

    Thank You for the Continued Support!

    Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

    But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

    Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

    Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
    Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

    stexcollection-header.png

    By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

    Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

    Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

    More About STEX Collections