Sign in to follow this  
weyersb

Highway Traffic Problems

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I have this big city (233k inhabitants) and I'm experiencing big traffic problems from all the people going into or out of my city. This is a big problem for my city because the garbage trucks come in from another city and they're constantly stuck in traffic which keeps them from picking up the trash. Also, the fire trucks can't reach the burning buildings on time. I already tried to remove the streetcar from the intersection because I thought that might help but I'm still experiencing big trouble. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!  :)

24ky4xh.png

Eliminate the need for sims to be going in or out.

No available jobs, no unemployed. No extra goods and no unsatisfied shoppers. No unfilled freight orders, no undelivered freight. 

• Original Poster
  • Eliminate the need for sims to be going in or out.

No available jobs, no unemployed. No extra goods and no unsatisfied shoppers. No unfilled freight orders, no undelivered freight. 

The thing is that I've got almost 15000 people that are unemployed and no jobs available in the $$-class, but I've got almost no people in the $ & $$$-class and still a lot of jobs in those classes. When I tried to find those buildings that have $ & $$$-jobs, I couldn't find any. It looks like all of my jobs are $$, but the grid says something else.

I could try to get more $ & $$$-people to my city by adjusting the land value... Do you think that would help?

2isujd1.png

• Original Poster
  • Yes, that would help. Actually filling jobs that need workers and reducing the unemployed will reduce the regional traffic. 

I tried it and it's definitely better now, even with more inhabitants, but still not quite what it should be... Any other ideas?

21eoyys.png

voaqom.png

Not sure what else you want to do?

The balance is as good as it gets atm.

You will always have traffic jams inside the city because of the number of cars on the streets. Only thing you could do would be to turn some buildings and zones into extra roads, reducing the number of cars AND adding more space for remaining cars to actualy fit on the roads.

That is what I keep telling people, the high density building that is built on that stretch of road has 10 times more cars coming out of it then that stretch of road can take. The game was made that way but it's a ludicrous design. 

Yes, that would help. Actually filling jobs that need workers and reducing the unemployed will reduce the regional traffic. 

I tried it and it's definitely better now, even with more inhabitants, but still not quite what it should be... Any other ideas?

21eoyys.png

voaqom.png

How did you balance out your low wealth unemployed? I've tried getting low wealth sims in my cities but I can't seem to get much below medium wealth.

so many 4 way intersections!

Yeah. I see that too... try to eliminate te 4 way intersections... this will help. But just help...

Actually all my cities were ruined by traffic. I know I could do a better design (that's always true), but the game doesn't help at all: no one way roads (one of the most unrealistic aspects of the game), the no possibility to connect a road to a avenue without cross it, the bunch of service vehicles that follow each other (when it happens, if one get stuck, probably you'll loose all of them  'cause they freakin' follow each other!) and other stuffs, make the traffic management a very difficult task. See another guys facing the same problem, is sometimes a kind of relief...

Prepare for a lot of bulldozing...

Actually all my cities were ruined by traffic. I know I could do a better design (that's aways true), but the game doesn't help at all: no one way roads (one of the most unrealistic aspects of the game), the no possibility to connect a road to a avenue without cross it, the bunch of service vehicles that follow each other (when it happens, if one get stuck, probably you'll loose all of them  'cause they freakin' follow each other!) and other stuffs, make the traffic management a very difficult task. See another guys facing the same problem, is sometimes a kind of relief...

Prepare for a lot of bulldozing...

May be better with update 7, no mention of one way streets though, but tunnels and overpasses are definitely a plus.