Sign in to follow this  
DmainEvent

Contiguous tile fix or Map size fix Which is more important to you?

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which fix Map size or contiguous tiles

• Map Size
    • Contiguous Tiles
    • Both
    • neither - the game is perfect as it is

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Now that we know that maxis is working on a fix for the traffic issues, would it be that great of a leap to hope that they would work on another fix that is weighing heavily on us hardcore sim-mers hearts?

If they were to fix something next, and those were the only two things that they could fix, which one would you want them to fix more?

well, I'd say if you had contiguous tiles, then the size of them wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Would at least give the semblance of an actual realistic metropolitan area (or rural --> metro) if you wanted that way (like SC4)

That's my vote.

Bump.

I actually think this is the only thing the game is missing (and cheetah speed)!

This would make big cities possible, and it would be fun to build rail networks, highway networks by negotiation between district mayors.

This idea is worth getting across to Maxis

There is so much wasted space between cities on the region map I really think they need to expand the map size. Its so hard to cram things you may need. I'm having problems with not having enough workers for my businesses despite a good 60% of the zonine is all residential, and are now towering skyscrapers. There is 130,000 people in my town. They also need subways. My avenues are clogged with cars its so bad.

Contiguous tiles without a doubt.

Region play appears to be very smooth, going from city tile to city tile is only a matter of zooming out and selecting the other city.  It's also very very easy to send money and share city services.  In many ways the game is built perfectly for a really nice and seamless traditional regional play.

And even if you made the city tiles themselves bigger, 4x4 km or even 8x8km, they're still too small.

Now, of course both would be the best, but I think contiguous tiles are essential and big tiles are just icing on the cake.

• Original Poster
  • I honestly think that working on both would be the thing to do.  If they release a patch, or an expansion, that is what I want them to focus on.  Getting contiguous tiles that are LARGER.  Maybe make them 4x4km tiles like simcity 4 that are contiguous.  I am guessing they have some computational issues with that, but they obviously have no problem fudging numbers to get the population to look larger, so I am sure they can figure out a way... Particularly if they designed the game to be multi-threaded from jump-street.  

But to be sure, get both in the next expansion, and if they want me to pay 30 for it, include a freaking map editor at least.  Maybe lest us load a grey scale heightmap into there.

In a 2013 game I'm not interested in simulating larger cities by placing smaller city tiles next to each other.  I'd much prefer it to have larger city tiles where I could actually build a proper city instead of a town.  Just having contiguous city tiles does not allow me to scratch that itch to build a proper sized city.

In a 2013 game I'm not interested in simulating larger cities by placing smaller city tiles next to each other.  I'd much prefer it to have larger city tiles where I could actually build a proper city instead of a town.  Just having contiguous city tiles does not allow me to scratch that itch to build a proper sized city.

This I dont always want to have to build multiple cities to have a large city thats idiotic imo.

Assuming the contiguous tile thing was done properly, where we could make our own neighbour connections of ANY sort, that would be the thing to put in. I agree with everyone else who thinks the tile sizes as they are now are embarrassingly small, but the odds that they are going to increase from 2x2 to anything that would be a worthwhile upgrade are very small  (if they were that close to making 8x8 tiles work, why would they have only put in these friggin LSD tab-sized plots into the game?)

But making the tiles side by side seems like it should be a lot more workable. And to all the people saying they just want to build one city and not multiple cities to make one big one... the way this game works where you can share services and commute workers and so on, multiple tiles side by side doesn't have to be thought of as multiple cities. It's basically different neighbourhoods of the same city, with the slight annoyance of a loading screen in between sections.

Assuming the contiguous tile thing was done properly, where we could make our own neighbour connections of ANY sort, that would be the thing to put in. I agree with everyone else who thinks the tile sizes as they are now are embarrassingly small, but the odds that they are going to increase from 2x2 to anything that would be a worthwhile upgrade are very small  (if they were that close to making 8x8 tiles work, why would they have only put in these friggin LSD tab-sized plots into the game?)

But making the tiles side by side seems like it should be a lot more workable. And to all the people saying they just want to build one city and not multiple cities to make one big one... the way this game works where you can share services and commute workers and so on, multiple tiles side by side doesn't have to be thought of as multiple cities. It's basically different neighbourhoods of the same city, with the slight annoyance of a loading screen in between sections.

Omar comin.

Omar comin.

If Omar came to my SimCity, he would be my only effective way of eliminating the criminals I already have. With the traffic ai as it is now, Herc and Carver are always stuck in a traffic jam leaving the station, and my police force gets nothing done. 

this shouldn't be a vote cont duh.... we all know we are dealing with the same company that releases sequels with less content as the previous version to only release it in a future ep.... bigger map sizes are already on the way.... probably put off a little longer now because Maxis knows we will delcare shinannigans if they did it too soon,

Larger map tiles. I mean, much larger. You can make a suburb/mining town of sorts if you stick to low density roads and only a few avenues along major corridors, which would fit well with cities extracting coal/ore/oil, but it'd look a bit silly seeing a mining down anywhere close to a major city, in my opinion. Unless contiguous tiles means we'll get SC4 sized regions, I'd much rather deal with larger, disconnected cities to simulate a province of sorts.

Right now, we have Simcity with tiny map sizes more akin to city neighborhoods/districts, but with major disconnections that would indicate you're in a chunk of a province.

• Original Poster
  • Missing the option "neither: there are other core issues of higher interest".

I have neither in there.  I don't have the caption, but if you feel that is the case vote and state what you think is more important.

Missing the option "neither: there are other core issues of higher interest".

I have neither in there.  I don't have the caption, but if you feel that is the case vote and state what you think is more important.

To be honest, as much as it pains me to see the predictable server issues, or the predictable state of release, personally I have much more issue with the enforcement of online play DRM and the insistance of EA to only have their desired vision count and not that of the customer. In that regard the latest marketing blurb from Bradshaw as an extreme eye opener.

• Original Poster
  • I don't nec

Missing the option "neither: there are other core issues of higher interest".

To be honest, as much as it pains me to see the predictable server issues, or the predictable state of release, personally I have much more issue with the enforcement of online play DRM and the insistance of EA to only have their desired vision count and not that of the customer. In that regard the latest marketing blurb from Bradshaw as an extreme eye opener.

I don't necessarily disagree.  I think the game is a complete train-wreck to be quite honest with you.  Seems to me they have dug their heels in with the always online bull#*$% and I am content with that.  I just want larger maps that are contigouos with each other.  If they do that, I will shell out money for this steaming pile.

Online is good for some games, but not for others.