Sign in to follow this  
choopa

where does freight go?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know it almost always goes to the nearest edge,where does it go afterwords assuming the city it crosses over too has no city exits except the one you came through,where does it dissapate to?

I assume freight train traffic dissipates when it reaches a freight station because it can't become a freight truck.

Has anyone ever worked this out?

Actually I suspect the freight goes to feed the Siths long the Kaolian Road. -- If you haven't read the Princess of Mars series, you won't get that one.

• Original Poster
  • has anyone ever considered making a mod to make this work like normal?like commercial services requiring freght and manufacturing industry's needing dirty industry raw materials,and high tech needing manufacturing industry products?

how hard would that be to do?

has anyone ever considered making a mod to make this work like normal?like commercial services requiring freght and manufacturing industry's needing dirty industry raw materials,and high tech needing manufacturing industry products?

how hard would that be to do?

Unfortunately, this is hard coded in the .exe and we can't touch it. It would require a modification to the database layout for cities, adding slots similar to the passenger passing slots and there is no space for it.

It would make a nice expansion pack (SimCity 4 Trade and Commerce). In such a set up, the Rush Hour preference would need to be toned down a little. Certain features such as freight depots and distribution centres would have to be added along with a change to commercial zoning to allow them.

• Original Poster
  • Not trying to sound like a jerk,but in english please?

When you say it is hard coded,does that mean it is physically unchangable,or that we cant touch for fear that it will severly mess up the game if we tweak it at all.

And when you say "there is no space for it",im not exactly sure what you mean.

Sorry,my computer skills when it comes to stuff like this isn't exactly up to par.

When you say it is hard coded,does that mean it is physically unchangable,or that we cant touch for fear that it will severly mess up the game if we tweak it at all.

It means that it's illegal to even modify, as in "breaking the law" illegal.

Not trying to sound like a jerk,but in english please?

And when you say "there is no space for it",im not exactly sure what you mean.

Sorry,my computer skills when it comes to stuff like this isn't exactly up to par.

Since I said it, I'll try to explain.

First of all, it is illegal to reverse engineer copyrighted material like the code for SimCity 4. Therefore the executable code is invariant unless you are EA.

Next, we at Simtropolis, have agreed that we wouldn't do it, anyway.

The current digital version does not seem to be encrypted, and just for fun I ran it through my disassembler. The program is written in Microsoft C. There are perfectly good decompilers, but I refrain. I am a member of an organization that frowns on hacking.

Then, "no space for it" means exactly that. The format of a city file would require such a change to add some slots to the data to hold the freight information. There are none available as far as I know. If such a change were made, it would have to be recognized by the game which means, again, hacking the .exe. Uh-uh.