System Specs SC2K13 (connection speed)

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

so here are the system requirements for SC2K13

systemspecssimcity.png

256 kbps download so i found a site that would test my download speed

downloadspeed.png

5 times the minimum and that's not even my top speed :P

speedtest.png

does 256 kbps even count as broadband speed ?

It seem your connection speed is far above the minimum instead of less than 1/5 the minimum requirement.

Look at this:

-Minimum requirement :

Download speed : 256 Kbps

Upload speed : 64 Kbps

-Your connection speed :

Download speed : 54.55 Mbps (Not Kbps, 1Mbps= +/- 1,000 Kbps!)

Upload speed : 4.25 Mbps (Again, it's not Kbps, but Mbps!)

So, if i convert it from Mbps to Kbps, then your connection speed is more than enough, i though.

- Download speed : Approx. 54,550 Kbps (The minimum is 256 Kbps)

- Upload speed : Approx. 4, 250 Kbps (The minimum is 64 Kbps)

It looks clearly if your connection speed is more than 10x the minimum requirement, there shouldn't be any problem with the speed, IMO.

Edited by jason leo  

Looks like I won't be able to play this then... We live in a rural area so have to use a USB dongle for mobile internet, so my internet speed will not be sufficient for this game lol.

Looks like I won't be able to play this then... We live in a rural area so have to use a USB dongle for mobile internet, so my internet speed will not be sufficient for this game lol.

Go to town!

A forty minute drive every day so I can play Simcity lol.... Then they would have to kick me out of internet cafe/where ever I am after closing because its addictive!

Probably easyer and cheaper to just play SC4 without even relaunching the argument of dissapointments with SC 2013 and lack of features v SC4 :-).

• Original Poster
  • Looks like I won't be able to play this then... We live in a rural area so have to use a USB dongle for mobile internet, so my internet speed will not be sufficient for this game lol.

you have to consider that even though maxis says you need 256 kbps download speed i highly doubt that it will even come to that. even though i have download speeds in MB/sec very few sites will allow me to utilize that speed and the maxis servers will probably be no different since they will not allow high speed downloads due to the sheer volume of traffic of always on-line play. realistically i see the data transfer somewhere in the 75-150 kbps range if that, it might be lower and as long as you are only running the game w/o other background services i.e. downloading movies etc. then your connection should be more than sufficient since there should be no delay in fps on your computer when the server sync's it's data w/the graphics on your screen. 256 kbps would only probably be used if you wanted real-time updates for the data transfer so you connection speed should be more than adequate, it's simcity not call of duty :)

Edited by chimeran  

Hopefully it should work then... The signal strength is highly variable thus effecting speed on a bad day I can get as little as 17kbps! usually it sits at around 70-150 kbps.

Im thinking of changeing anyhow as its orange and its rubbish lol... I get only 3gb allowance a month for 15.99. My dad gets 15gb on three for the same price with a newer faster dongle!

Edited by lew1984  

Considering most broadband providers have been forcing data caps across the US, and mush of Europe already has them, adding even more data to a system being further limited is just asinine.

I have 25Mb cable, and have a fairly generous 100GB cap (up and down), and I still typically go over 60GB per month, who knows what this game will add to it (IF I buy it, and that is a BIG IF).

USB mobile cell phone company dongle? Most US cell systems have data cap limits around 2-5GB per month... that means a game like this where a single city could potentially run several MB per save, and if it uploads the new save every 15 minutes for example, most cell users could reach their cap in a day, maybe 2 out of their 30 day billing cycle. Maybe if they paid for the $100/month cap upgrade that gives them 5-10GB they could play for maybe a week before reaching that cap.... Buy the game as an online download and theres your months worth of cap in one day.

Not smart EA.

Oh for goodness sake... LOOK at the spec! It is in kbps, not KB/s. There is an eightfold difference.

A 256kbps connection is only four times faster than the old 56kbps dialup modems. It is barely considered broadband at all. Even if you downloaded something flat out at 256kbps you would be lucky to get 100Mb in a full hour... and SimCity will only be using it for authentication, saving your city and dealing with the odd bit of region-wide data such as crime, pollution and job details. It is more an online handshake rather than a full file download.

The cheapest Mobile Broadband will probably be advertised in the region of one to two mbps in rural areas and even if you only get a fraction of that, 256kbps should be perfectly attainable. So what if you have to wait half a minute before you can start playing while it handshakes over your mobile connection? Once that is done the data transfer should slow to a trickle.

Considering most broadband providers have been forcing data caps across the US, and mush of Europe already has them, adding even more data to a system being further limited is just asinine.

I have 25Mb cable, and have a fairly generous 100GB cap (up and down), and I still typically go over 60GB per month, who knows what this game will add to it (IF I buy it, and that is a BIG IF).

USB mobile cell phone company dongle? Most US cell systems have data cap limits around 2-5GB per month... that means a game like this where a single city could potentially run several MB per save, and if it uploads the new save every 15 minutes for example, most cell users could reach their cap in a day, maybe 2 out of their 30 day billing cycle. Maybe if they paid for the $100/month cap upgrade that gives them 5-10GB they could play for maybe a week before reaching that cap.... Buy the game as an online download and theres your months worth of cap in one day.

Not smart EA.

Even if a city took 50 MB to save (and I really really doubt it will even be in the neighborhood of that), that doesn't mean you're uploading 50 MB every 15 minutes. Your city's state is going to be saved to their servers continually. The only bandwidth is going to be the communication while playing the game and at worst, whatever portion of that 50 MB you need to download if you lose your local cache. To believe that the bandwidth of this game is going to cause anyone problems just shows a lack of understanding of client/server cloud architecture.

Many major ISPs in Canada have very strict bandwidth limits. With forced online, I may be unable to afford to play the game for long periods of time.

Yes, you will afford it. EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM can afford it many times. It's not that you should be able to download at 256kb/s. A connection of 256kbps is just a bit faster than a dial-up. A DIAL-UP!!! Someone with this internet speed, if not downloading anything else, can reach a speed of AT MOST 32kb/s. It's very slow. That's what they're asking of you. They're basically saying "if you're not on a dial-up you can play it". That's it.

Edited by pspawn  

Not smart EA.

Even if a city took 50 MB to save (and I really really doubt it will even be in the neighborhood of that), that doesn't mean you're uploading 50 MB every 15 minutes. Your city's state is going to be saved to their servers continually. The only bandwidth is going to be the communication while playing the game and at worst, whatever portion of that 50 MB you need to download if you lose your local cache. To believe that the bandwidth of this game is going to cause anyone problems just shows a lack of understanding of client/server cloud architecture.

I work for an ISP, I have been dealing with computer hardware and networking for over 18 years, I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. You just pointed out and supported what I was talking about. No one said anything about 50MB, but a perpetual online connection with continuous communication, even at 20Kbps still adds up quickly when you add that up over longer periods of time. It is not the bandwidth, it is the amount of data relayed over that period of time.

Now if EA/Maxis actually came forward with some data sheets showing us that the game only uses X amount of bandwidth, and data transferred over X amount of time, this discussion may be moot.

My main point is NOT that this ONE game will eat up everyones data usage as you claim I imply (with the exception of cell phone based services that have the strictest caps).... What I am saying is that more and more programs and services are going online, and when you are adding up everything piece by piece, we really do not need ANOTHER system forced online when it doesn't have to be. they can give the user the options: Full online, Full offline, or Offline with backup online.

Yes, you will afford it. EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM can afford it many times. It's not that you should be able to download at 256kb/s. A connection of 256kbps is just a bit faster than a dial-up. A DIAL-UP!!! Someone with this internet speed, if not downloading anything else, can reach a speed of AT MOST 32kb/s. It's very slow. That's what they're asking of you. They're basically saying "if you're not on a dial-up you can play it". That's it.

Got proof?

1) dialup is AT MOST 56K, and in most real world usage, at best 48K, with normal speeds sitting around 32K. But there does need to be the broadband aspect of 256K which means 2 or more "lanes" of internet traffic which allows broadband to be called: broadband. Thats why 256K may not seem much more than 56K, but there is actually a big difference. The 256K is usually 2+ "lanes" (in and out) versus dialup is one lane for both, so when something is going out, it has to wait for that to finish before getting anything in, or at least pause it.

2) When save files alone will range in the 2-5MB range, then all the other data like population, crime, cash, police coverage, etc... AND considering EA is a buffoon when it comes to online data prioritization, it would be more likely to run around 320K at minimum.

• Original Poster
  • Many major ISPs in Canada have very strict bandwidth limits. With forced online, I may be unable to afford to play the game for long periods of time.

rough estimates only,

estimated download packets from maxis: 150 kbps

estimated download packets per minute: 9000 kbps

estimated download packets per hour: 527 MB

estimated download packets per day: 1.2 GB

estimated download packets per month (30 days): 37 GB

the previous is based on a starting point of 150 kbps and all following calculations are based upon a continuous download speed of 150 kbps. as you can see in the model that the data usage adds up rather quickly but bear in mind it is unlikely that you will receive this much data from the maxis servers in such a continuous manner so the actual usage in a month will more than likely be significantly lower than 37 GB and please note this is only for maxis sending information to you and not what your computer reports back to the maxis servers. also note that this is only if you intend to run the game literally 24/7

there are unknown variables such as whether or not SC2K13 will give you the option on how to receive data updates from the maxis servers. possible scenario that there will be an option in the settings to set the level of updates of data (crime,population, etc.)

scenario only, not meant to be taken as fact: (actual kbps will vary)

ultra (real-time updates): 256 kbps

high (semi real-time): 150 kbps

medium (default 5 minutes between updates): 75 kbps

low (low bandwidth 15 minutes between updates): 25-50 kbps

unknown variable; amount of sims, agents and buildings affecting data size. naturally as your city begins to grow the amount of data for the maxis servers to send will rise exponentially and will alter the original figures.

unknown variable: interaction between your cities statistics against other player's statistics. how the stats will interact will affect data size regardless of solo play or multi-player since even playing solo will still alter the stats of the "world" economy (commerce, goods) playing multi-player will add commute times to the equation.

unknown variable: maximum download file size

Edited by chimeran  

Bored so I doing some open calculations..

edit: maths fail

ill do this again when i get home (working night shift lol)

Edited by Culinia