• Dirktator
    Dirktator

Simtropolis Interview with Maxis Part 1

During the SimCity Community Day, we had a chance to speak with Maxis developers about the new game. In Part 1, we talk with Kip Katserelis, Lead Producer and Stone Librande, Lead Designer. In Part 2, we talk with Ocean Quigley.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Interesting.  "Modding will not be easy", but it is coming.  Multiple servers but apparently each is isolated.  Not clear if you can transfer a game from one to another.  I can see some problems with an international game with players from across the globe.

Looks like interestng times coming up.  EA must have rather a lot of buck sunk into this if they are putting up 10 servers.  Wonder if they would franchise them?

Share this comment

Very nice interview Dirk and Hym :D

I too wonder how the commodity pricing system will work.

I guess if we want to make a region with friends we all need to be on the same server?

Share this comment

Nice interview.

One of the main issues I have with the game (besides the always online bit) is the scale. I have not played the Beta and will not play the game for a while untill the price comes down, so I cannot judge if the indepth simulations compensates for the lack of scale. I do know that having freedom to create your own intercity connections and build cities in a region w/o blank areas in between would greatly mittigate that concern. Is this something you brought up?

Share this comment

Having said that. I really like this new instalment in lots of other ways. Graphics look great (maybe not overly realistc, but that's not something I really care about). Also glassbox is a truely incredible piece of work. My compliments to maxis on that

Share this comment

Nice interview...This game has a lot potential...the only downside is EA being part of it...Could you imagine (yeah I feel a bit like Lennon :D) if was Maxis teamed up with Simtropolis....ohhh I'm dreamer...

Share this comment

Cool interview, thanks for sharing.

"We're so focussed on the game, we haven't announced any plans for modding."

Although it seems like a neutral response, this can't really be answered any differently. Prior to a game's release, it's rare for developers to officially announce modding tools. If this was done, less time would be spent on making the game playable. The primary objective for developers is to meet the release date. Once the game is live, the focus can then be switched to post-development support.

Very early on, Maxis have indicated they’d like to support it. But with a complex simulation and (of course) online play, it’s going to take time to implement. The video sums it up nicely, “Modding is not going to be easy”.

Also remember, modding has not been denied; it’s just not been confirmed -- yet. ;)

Share this comment

loved the non-answer to the modding question...

I’ll give the same pathetic answer you give everybody else…

I really don’t care what you think.

Share this comment

Haven't we already asked about modding at E3? It’s the same answer as before; they're working on it.

Or they don’t know?? Maybe they might have decided to work on

modding after what the finished product was going to be like. But, if they have plans, it will probably come to pass.

Share this comment

Modding, if any, will be arbitrated by the owner (EA/Maxis).  The idea that an individual can create a mod and test it privately is probably out the window.

Development and implementation must occur on all servers, the result added to the "store".  There will probably have to be a modding forum of some sort because the control will be at the server end.  Don't expect the free exchanges we now enjoy.

Share this comment

^ Yes good point. Even if mods could be stored locally (i.e. in a plugins folder), they most likely would have to be uploaded to the servers. But this creates problems in itself. Just think, in SC4, many players have in excess of 3GB of plugins. Storing (and uploading) this amount of data would be very impracticable and expensive.

I know we’re not going to have this many plugins initially. But in the long term, storage could be a potential issue. Since there are limits to the number of saved games (although we can now utilise up to 10 servers), you’d think the “store” would also be restricted -- such as a limit to the number of files per player.

The only option for “offline” modding could be with the sandbox mode. As we know, this mode doesn’t interact with the main online components, such as the global economy. Local plugins could therefore be used only in sandbox regions, separate from the “store” plugins. This would allow custom content to be hosted on fan site exchanges (STEX, LEX), as we do with SC4.

Share this comment