• paeng
    paeng

SimCity 4: Deluxe Edition Makes Triumphant Return to the Mac

AUSTIN, Texas—April 10, 2014—Aspyr Media announced today that fan-favorite and best-selling city simulator SimCity™ 4: Deluxe Edition is available now as a digital download. The game has been updated to support OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion (and above) and includes bug fixes, performance enhancements, and other updates such as native resolution support. Customers may purchase the game now exclusively through Apple’s Mac App Store, and the game will join Steam and other Mac digital outlets in coming weeks.

“We’re so happy to give SimCity fans on the Mac a new chance to play this classic title,” said Aspyr Media’s Vice President of Publishing, Elizabeth Howard. “We took extra time updating the game to offer SimCity 4 players the best possible experience on the Mac, and we think both old and new players alike will come away impressed.”

SimCity™ 4: Deluxe Edition includes the best-selling SimCity™ 4 and SimCity™ 4: Rush Hour Expansion Pack and tasks players with building out a city or region of cities while trying to meet the needs and demands of the cities’ residents. Game features include:

• Full control over the environment and the ability to unleash natural disasters to create (and destroy) a world all your own.

• Ability to deploy emergency vehicles and join in the action as they battle blazes, mobs, and more.

• New transportation options, including monorail and ferry system.

• Interconnectivity with The Sims, allowing players to import their sims into their city.

• And more!

User Feedback

I'm interested in these "bug fixes" they talk about.

I wonder if they are new bug fixes or something we non mac users already have.

Share this comment

Link to discussion thread:

Submitted paeng, Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Started by NCGAIO,  Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Maybe a side effect of demand for SC4 after the release of SimCity 2013

Strange preference for publishing news ...

Share this comment

The question is: Are the EP1 and Patch4BAT included?  If so, the build version should be 1,1,641 or higher.

The Deluxe Edition is both SC4 and Rush Hour states it in the article..

Share this comment

Bought it last night. I'm so glad to play this again. I look forward to seeing all the mods made for the Mac version :)

Share this comment

Bought it last night. I'm so glad to play this again. I look forward to seeing all the mods made for the Mac version :)

All mods for the PC version will work fine for Mac. The only problem is that Macs can't handle exe files -- like those used by custom content installers.

For this, an extractor like File Juicer is needed, or a type of Windows emulation software, allowing them to be opened.

Share this comment

According to Aspyr - "this is a completely new release designed for new hardware." Which makes me believe that they have worked to fix all of the endiness issues that caused Graphics Glitches.  They are not offering a path for existing users to upgrade.  They have also compiled and/or rewritten the application to take advantage of Hyperthreading, TurboBoost, and Multiple Cores, as well as switching between the integrated and discrete GPUs that modern Macs have.  We have an ongoing discussion in the MacForum at 

Share this comment

Anybody know if regions built on the old disc will work with the digital download? I'd love to be playing on my new mac rather than my ancient one.

Share this comment

The question is: Are the EP1 and Patch4BAT included?  If so, the build version should be 1,1,641 or higher.

The Deluxe Edition is both SC4 and Rush Hour states it in the article..

The patches are external to that.  What is the actual build version number?

Share this comment

Anybody know if regions built on the old disc will work with the digital download? I'd love to be playing on my new mac rather than my ancient one.

It should work fine. I loaded my saved regions and plugins and they worked fine. Just no custom content night lighting though. So this doesn't have the patches.

Share this comment

It should work fine. I loaded my saved regions and plugins and they worked fine. Just no custom content night lighting though. So this doesn't have the patches.

Thank you!

Share this comment

No night light on custom content - that is a deal breaker.

If true it probably means that Asypr did not apply the EP1 nor the Patch4BAT publshed patches.  Anyone know?

Share this comment

No night light on custom content - that is a deal breaker.

If true it probably means that Asypr did not apply the EP1 nor the Patch4BAT publshed patches.  Anyone know?

I submitted a request on Aspyr's support page. Will see what they say.

Share this comment

That's a major flaw if these two updates aren't included. Without the EP1, there'd be no guarantees it'd support a great majority of content like the NAM.

Hopefully this is quickly addressed.

Share this comment

Simtropolis member, memo, has posted a thorough of the game as compared to the patched and modded Windows version we've grown accustomed to playing.

Share this comment

Just looked at memo's notes.  Aspyr missed the train, apparently.  They could have done the work to patch to 1,1,640 or better but didn't.  IMHO, don't bother.

Share this comment

Just looked at memo's notes.  Aspyr missed the train, apparently.  They could have done the work to patch to 1,1,640 or better but didn't.  IMHO, don't bother.

That's a pretty strong conclusion, Nonny.

Sure, this initial release lacks those two patches, but that doesn't mean they won't update the app. I regularly receive updates for other Mac App Store purchases, so I'd like to think that by re-releasing this game now for modern Macs, Aspyr has committed to support it with regular updates as well.

They've done a lot to modernize it already by making it Intel Mac OS X native, multi-core aware, and supporting higher resolutions out of the box (no fiddling with funky startup commands).

I'm willing to give it a chance before I condemn it, and be forced to fall back to a Windows version that needs to run in a VM, Boot Camp, or Wine and not have the built-in benefits above.

BTW, here's the app details from the System Information app:

SimCity_app_details.png

Share this comment