Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Temple Quay

Sign in to follow this  
Mike the Mayor

TEMPLEQUAY.jpg

Temple Quay is a modern office development to the east of the City Centre. Mirroring that of Canary Wharf, London and La Defense, Paris - it forms a very significant part of the city's skylines with dominant skyscrapers, the first of which was constructed back in 1986. The development now comprises high-end companies such as those listed above and many more! It is the home to many banking, financial and commerical services as well as Trans-National Corporations. This really puts Bristol on the map!

Oh yeah, you may wonder why it is called 'Quay' ? Well a stretch of water similar to St. Augustine's Reach in the City Centre branches off the main river through the city and during the industrial era when the city hosted an inland harbour, this stretch of water was important for importing vehicle parts and engines for St. Phillips Station. The train station is now completely different to its former appearance with a modern, shiny glass roof with buttress-like supports. The station's lines travel eastwards towards London and Paris.

Monday 23rd August: Max (25C) ; Min (15C)

So Temple Quay:

08.jpg

09.jpg

05.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

01.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Very nice update! I've never liked the concept of "here-be-skyscrapers" European districts such as La Défense or Canary Wharf, they seem to "marginate" everything taller than the cathedral out of the city. I've felt that sensation of being surrounded of empty office buildings (I visited La Défense or AZCA Complex in Madrid in August), which means you've made a great and realistic update again!

Share this comment

k50dude: Thanks! Um, I've had them for ages and have forgotten who did them in the first place. I'd imagine if you type in 'construction lot' or 'construction site' or something it would come up.

TekindusT: Hehe, yeah I know what you mean. In fact that sort of skyscraper arrangement is more common on mainland Europe. Here in the UK cities are such mish mash, there are taller buildings mixed in with smaller and older buildings all in one place. In some cities it looks a mess and in others the combination is quite sound. I suppose though that these sort of skyscrapers would scream 'disagreement' with the Parisian and European W2W buildings found in the actual City Centre. 

Guibanez_: Thank you very much my friend!

tigeria: Many thanks for your kind words mate.

Share this comment

Great work just read your whole cj. I was a bit doubtful at first at the blending of architectual styles, but you have done it well.
I do prefer the more 'historic' parts of the city you have done so far - through no fault of your own, often modern CBDs look bland, generic and souless..

Share this comment

jj88: Haha, well I'm glad you think they mix in well. And I'm also glad you think it looks bland and generic because as you say, most officy areas of cities do look like that and that is exactly the image I was trying to portray. 

Share this comment