Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chemeketa: Highway 36/Sorenson Street Project: Part 2

Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Construction season is still in full swing, and another new update is upon us. We'll be taking a look at the completion of the Highway 36/Sorenson Street interchange.

Replies to the last update are up here--thanks for all your support and feedback on it! :D

ordotlogo.png

Highway 36/Sorenson Street Project (continued)

5ytjgl.png

Last update, we left off with the northern segment of Sorenson Street being realigned and widened to 4 lanes, between 5th and 16th Avenues NE. This construction update will focus on the southern part of the project area, including the reconfiguration of the Sorenson Street interchange along Highway 36.

Due to the high volume of truck traffic coming from the industrial area to the south, and the close proximity of the McCabe Street and Highway 15 interchanges to the Sorenson Street interchange, ORDOT has opted to replace the existing diamond/parclo hybrid with a first-in-the-region diverging diamond interchange (DDI). The DDI will be connected into collector-distributor roadways to the east. Proximity matters on the west side of the interchange will be mitigated by the future Highway 36 Chemeketa Center Modernization Project, which is currently planned to move the access points.

The new alignment of Sorenson Street has been built out toward Highway 36, and the existing parclo loop ramp on the north side of the interchange (providing access to and from westbound 36) is being demolished (facing east).

ecoXN.jpg

rT9uv.jpg

This Exit 57 sign now looks a bit out of place (facing west)

r7LbR.jpg

Work on the north side of the new interchange continues. You can see a sliver of the old Sorenson Street overpass in the bottom-right (facing north).

Kihz3.jpg

Facing east, as construction continues.

FVCIL.jpg

The old Sorenson Street interchange has now been closed off (facing east).

x383i.jpg

4v88N.jpg

Motorists have been detoured to Mosby Road for access to the industrial area in the meanwhile, and access to Highways 15 and 36 is possible via the Hwy 15/Terent Road interchange. As seen from this image of the intersection of Mosby Road SE and Terent Road SE (facing south), traffic's definitely picked up.

nSYEn.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the interchange, there's progress on the construction of the overpass. Highway 36 traffic has been shifted over some in order to allow for staging (facing south).

bhIbT.jpg

The intersection with Stinson Road SE (the road just to the south of Highway 36) has been . . . wait for it . . . realigned to the south (facing east), taking over part of the old alignment of Sorenson. The western segment is closed for the present, and will be reconnected by the city once the main bulk of the interchange improvements are finished.

GaNbF.jpg

Old (top) and new (bottom) (facing east)

VjVVd.jpg

And the new overpass and exit on the west side of the interchange are now open. (facing east)

QpE95.jpg

The ramps on the east side are still being constructed, including the C/D setup for the westbound lanes on Highway 36. The road to the left is Meander Drive NE (which forms a meandering loop--hence the name--off of Sorenson Street).

asvGL.jpg

The entrance to 36 eastbound is being built (facing west). You can see a little stub of the old southern segment of Sorenson Street (which now connects into Stinson Road).

7V8h3.jpg

And here is the mostly completed interchange (facing west), with the C/D lanes constructed for westbound 36. The old northern segment of Sorenson now curves onto Meander just north of the freeway. Contractors are continuing to work on minor punchlist items.

9nf3Z.jpg

Well, that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities. Next update, we'll go just a bit north and east, to take a brief look at the explosion of development brought on by the 39th Ave NE SPUI from Update 81.

-Tarkus

Sign in to follow this  

8 Comments

Recommended Comments

My car would definitely need a wash from all the dirt and dust from your construction - but nice work. I like the look of the DDI - haven't used those yet, but I may soon after having a look at this. :)

Share this comment

[b]Huston[/b]: Thanks for the kind words on the networks! I have a lot of fun playing around with that side of the game. And yes, the cars on the overpass are definitely LOL-worthy--we NAMites tend to joke about the lack of intelligence on the part of the automata, and that's a textbook case there. :rofl:

[b]mystic_destiny[/b]: Yes, indeed--nothing like dust and diesel fumes to start the day . . . [i]*sniff*, ahhh[/i]. :D Hope you enjoyed it!

[b]sim_link[/b]: Yeah, I heard the car washes are paying ORDOT a commission. :D That's the first non-testing DDI I've built, and I was glad to have an excuse to stick one in there. So far, it's worked pretty well, and using it there has given me some ideas of how to expand/improve upon that feature. Thanks for the amusing comment--I got a good laugh!

[b]ggamgus[/b]: Thanks for the kind words--I'm glad you enjoyed the construction!

[b]k50[/b]: Thanks for the compliments on the update and on my planning. Clackamas County would be a little bit of a commute right now (I'm in Washington County), though I wouldn't say no. :D There's some very Tarkusian-looking stuff in the Happy Valley area.

[b]Jacob Guajardo[/b]: Thanks for the kind words, and to answer your questions, the overpasses are all out of the NAM (though I have a custom, unreleased concrete texture set I did on there), and the construction site stuff is out of the SFBT set. It used to be on the STEX (though it got deleted when someone erroneously reported it "broken" some time ago), but it can still be acquired from the German [b][url=http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://kurier.simcityplaza.de/%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D8Dv%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D665%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&u=http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php%3Ffile%3D51&usg=ALkJrhi0Xez6lh9PW0Was7v00xxdYDkfZQ]SimCity Kurier[/url][/b].

Share this comment