Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chriswiller

R-(C+I)=unemployment/false commute

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I wonder if there is some way you can find your city's real unemployment.

For expamel: I have city where R is 225000, C is 100000 and I is 69000.

Then I have 56000 with work, but of cause kids and old people does'n work.

I have 50000 under 20 years and 36000 over 61 years

(R-86000)-(C+I)=>139000-169000= minus 30000

Will that say I should/could build R, without thinking about false commute

I think this is simple way to find out your real RCI demands. A more complex formula would be with RCI and $, $$ and $$$, and of cause it would be more precise 

That's a reasonable formula but I'm wondering if it's that simple. For example with your value of negative 30k, shouldn't you have rash of NJZ's all over your city? I don't think of unemployment that often, because frankly, I rarely get NJZs and when I do they're usually transient. I usually play it by demand, if you have +R, build's R zones, +C, build C zones. Negative R and C swings are normal but persistent negatives and anything hitting minus 4-6k always have reason(s). As long as your C is positive, you shouldn't have major problems with unemployment.

Regarding false long commute, Maxis screwed up with that big time. They should just have indicated it with NJZs, rather than have buildings mysteriously decay (and have it attributed to long commute or traffic noise).

Peorth is right, it's not that simple.  You have to take into account any sims commuting out of your city to find jobs.  Also the weath level is extremely important.  You have to take into account that R$ sims only take the poortest jobs, R$$$ only take the richest jobs.  The formula would probably look more like (R$-C$-I$)+(R$$-C$$-I$$)+(R$$$-C$$$-I$$$)=Unemployment, assuming that the R values are only the working sims.  A positive unempolyement number would mean that either the sims are unemployed or have to commute outside your city to find a job.  It should be noted that even this formula is too simplistic, because each type of commercial or industrial building employs a mix of R$, R$$ and R$$$ sims.

Here's a weirdie:

build industry on the edge of the map.

If the demand is high enough, jobs will appear.

But there's NO-ONE coming to work!

That's what's happening.

Invisible jobs.

So... I guess... you have people from Sim Nation working in your city.

R-(C+I) will not tell you the whole picture, as not all sims need a job. You need to factor in your Health Quotient.

With a higher HQ, you have more non-working sims.

There's something odd about Maxis RCI meter-- demand for C and I, for instance, suggests a demand for jobs. But, what about the demand for goods/servies/material provided by these jobs? What if there is a high demand for goods from I-M but no one wants to work there? How about the other way around? You'd get a lot of I-M jobs but they might end up going out of business because of low output demand.

But your situation with the negative unemployment is something that I see in many cities. All over the place I will have C and I with x jobs, but only n commuters coming to work. x will of course be greater than n, and yet the number of 'jobs employed' by this C or I will not drop. So, like the Sims that don't have to work, apparently there are jobs that do not require Sims.

47.gif

Well, can anyone confirm this?

in some of my cities i have 5x the numer of people compared to jobs yet i have no njz on any buildings.
    maxis intentionally didnt adress this so presumably its was either really hard or cost too much money to fix what ever has caused this lack of jobs.

I think some of it may also have to do with extrapolation. When playing a city, the other cities around the active one are growing and providing more jobs/residences for citizens in surrounding cities.

your formula is wrong

doesn't matter the age of the sims in the city...that just for eq buildings, because some of them only affect certain age groups

1/2 of all sims automaticly don't have jobs...just a number maxis picked to reflect the sims to young to work or retired or stay at home parents etc etc

formula should be 1/2R-(C+I)= 0 (to be 100% employment)

simcity 4 differes from the old games as you play all the cities in the region...not just one, where the computer plays the rest around it....you get the ind jobs with no comuter, cuz you need to play the cities around to update the comute times of the sims

the game actuall assumes any open city around the one your play has about a 10-15% groth rate per year...even though your not playing them....goes hand in hand with the comute times

According to the Prima guide, each of the civic buildings have jobs that apply to the different wealth levels, from transit stops to schools and hospitals, even rewards.  Those jobs are often overlooked when calculating the city's jobs.  When you start your first city in a region, placing a few civic buildings in the onset can give you a small residential demand even without industrial zoning first.

• Original Poster
  • My formula isn't so wrong, because I only have that one city in the region right now (I always make one city at the time, play it like it was simcity 3000). And like Gridlock says SimCity classic had an unemployement figure and it was very usefull. But I really don't think there is any formula by which you can't find your unemployment...So maxis please make unemployement % figure for Sim City 529.gif  

ok..whatever you say...but telling ya...you can't apply old versions of simcity formulas to simcity 4...the game plays very much different from the old games