Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Piracy on the High Seas

29 posts in this topic Last Reply

Greenpeace are targeting oil drilling now are they... I'm fairly sure that oil drilling is considered normal practice by most nations. As much as I'm all for renewable energy, this is hardly sensible activity

• Original Poster
  • If you want to drive your gas guzzler, you have no business objecting to oil drilling platforms.  Greenpeace should use sailing vessels only for their adventures on the ocean, and oar powered small boats.  Not even an auxiliary outboard!

A militant radical by any other name ...

• Original Poster
  • Mr Putin takes note.

While Greenpeace Russia cannot find anything in the Russian Criminal Code under which to accuse these people, I am sure there must be laws of trespass under which they could be held accountable.  If the Criminal Code can't get them, there must be lots of precedent and/or the Civil Code.  {Heavens!  A thought!  Could it be that Russia is lawless?}

Have you heard that they made a "documentary" about Greenpeace that portrays them as "good" eco-terrorists? I am disgusted to watch programs that have advertising for it.

--Ocram

It was made in 2010 and it was called "Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist."

A self admission/confession is good enough for me and the shoe still fits.

--Ocram

I do agree that it is kind of naive to attack an oil platform, a place where they process highly flammable and potentially dangerous substances.

What if they succeeded in taking the platform? Without any experts there, just treehugging vegans, the place would have gone boom and sprayed oil across the whole arctic. 
    I don't believe that is within Greenpeace's goals.

I agree with Moose here. Terrorism isn't a good thing, whatever the ideals which support it may consist of. And attacking an oil platform isn't helping anybody or anything or any ideal in the slightest.

Is Greenpeace any better than the Taliban?  Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.

Yes, they are. What a completely mindless equivocation. 

The only evidence you even have of violence is a statement by some modern day KGB scumbag. Well done for that display of critical reading from all of you. I look forward to your other no doubt brilliant views on Russia. I imagine the dead gays and minorities piling up in Russian streets just threw themselves at the knives of the poor innocent neo-nazi's according to the brain trust on display here.

Neither side is innocent. I stated in another thread that Russia of late has become oppressive again. I also stated that it never had a good record.

--Ocram

• Original Poster
  • Polemics against the Russians are not productive.  Violent actions of any sort are counterproductive as well.  Greenpeace has often taken to violence because they are the 'militant' arm of the radical environmentalists.  Fortunately they have not taken up much by way of arms.  I am finding more and more than the actions of Greenpeace are becoming reprehensible.

• Original Poster
  • Greenpeace piracy charges dropped.

And replaced with charges of hooliganism.  This one is probably deserved.

Greenpeace has been getting away with this nonsense for far too long.  It is about time that they were either stopped or stopped using terrorist tactics.

Terrorist tactics? I'm sorry but does Greenpeace sail boats filled with explosives into other peoples boats? Do they bomb the offices of fisheries? Of large oil companies? Right, didnt think so. Lets not make any dumb comparisons. 

And Greenpeace is a relatively mainstream organization, they are not the 'militant radicals' you describe them as. Compared to groups like PETA or the Animal Liberation Front, Greenpeace is the slightly more extreme version of the WWF. 

Nope. But I'm all for saving the environment. 

Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of Greenpeace. I find them loudmouths only often without a substantial message. I mean, the action for which they were caught was utterly pointless, just some useless stunt they did for the media, and now its blowing up in their face. 

But to compare them to actual terrorists is taking it way to far. They do not employ real physical violence against people or companies. Unlike for example those radicals from the Animal Liberation Front who do actually damage property and threaten people with violence. The ones that attack animal testing labs and threaten the people that work there or who set fire to fur farms. That are real terrorists. 

• Original Poster
  • You know that some of their activists have been known to throw containers of Butyric Acid aboard whaling ships.  This stuff is enough to make anyone quite ill from its terrible, rancid stench.

I am against whaling or any other operation in the commercial sector that exploits major sea life, especially intelligent species like whales and dolphins.

Overall, Greenpeace makes too much noise while accomplishing little.

You know that some of their activists have been known to throw containers of Butyric Acid aboard whaling ships.  This stuff is enough to make anyone quite ill from its terrible, rancid stench.

I am against whaling or any other operation in the commercial sector that exploits major sea life, especially intelligent species like whales and dolphins.

Overall, Greenpeace makes too much noise while accomplishing little.

Im sorry but throwing stink bombs is not terrorism. Threatening to kill people and setting buildings on fire is. 

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can compare them to terrorists. You also don't compare a child who hits his sister in a fit of rage to a murderer simply because he used violence. So don't compare a loud and obnoxious organization to actual eco terrorists organizations. 

• Original Poster
  • Well, here are some real ones.

These guys give buccaneering a bad name.

There is already a task force in the area, but it looks like it needs some beefing up.  Instead of brandishing a club at Bashir Assad maybe the U.S. fleet should transit Suez and pay a visit to the Somali coast.  They could practice coastal bombardment and amphibious landings.

Much better utilisation of naval resources, aye. Clean up the pirates, don't waste time bombing some backwards country with a silly civil war. They've been there and done that, they should know that these things die eventually. Even Rome had a civil war.

It's funny cos the PIrates of the Caribbean theme plays on Classic FM and whenever I hear it I think of terrorists.

• Original Poster
  • Justice

The only thing missing from these sentences is that when they expire they should be buried wrapped in a pigskin.  No matter how reformed they may be, murderers should go straight to Iblis.