Sign in to follow this  
reReticulated Spline

New Red Cross DLC-for-charity

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

The Red Cross DLC that was anounced earlier is here and it's a DLC for charity. It costs $9.99 with $8 being donated to the Red Cross in your country. Unfortunately not all country's Red Cross organizations are involved so the DLC is not available everywhere.

Gameplay wise: it adds a Red Cross building. During disasters, it builds tents which save 10 people each (who otherwise would have perished during the disaster) and put's them back one the disaster is over softening the blow of disasters. Outside of disasters it supposedly also helps. Maybe it houses homeless?

Ploppable building:

sim-city-red-cross-england-1024x576.jpg

Relief tents after disaster on school terrain:

redcross_1.gif

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/ea-and-the-red-cross-to-offer-aid-in-simcity

EDIT: added picture of the Red Cross building itself, to prevent confusion.

It's a clever ploy from Maxis/EA - you get to have a useful building and feel good giving money to the Red Cross.

Now, donning my cynical hat EA wins here on several points:

1) it sells $2.00 DLC to lots of caring users = profit

2) it gets some good vibes because people feel it is doing good with a charity

3) the donation it eventually makes is tax-deducible = more profit!

I think, personally, I'd rather just make a donation directly.

At least this gives gamers a reason to support charity, disproving the whole "gamers are selfish" image.

Since the American Red Cross is literally broke due all the disasters this year, this should give them some boost.

Can we talk about the who the new EA CEO is instead (he was announced today)?

It's a clever ploy from Maxis/EA - you get to have a useful building and feel good giving money to the Red Cross.

Now, donning my cynical hat EA wins here on several points:

1) it sells $2.00 DLC to lots of caring users = profit

2) it gets some good vibes because people feel it is doing good with a charity

3) the donation it eventually makes is tax-deducible = more profit!

I think, personally, I'd rather just make a donation directly.

Exactly, there is an evil genius at Maxis that I need to meet. They come up with the most off the wall things that are hated by their customers so much that they but it anyways.. American consumerism at best.

I am eager to see more DLC, but I do not really see this as useful, disasters are not hard to recover from (bulldoze a few buildings).  I really want to like this, but I cant see its usefulness, if it did something in non disaster times I might go for it, especially since one of my top feature requests is the ability to turn off disasters.

Did they seriously just copy/paste the school into a red cross?  I'd rather just mail the red cross $8.  

Maybe that's just the Red Cross setting up at the school after a disaster? I remember seeing a leaked image a while back of the actual Red Cross buildings with white civilian HUMVEEs and the Red Cross logo on them. My first guess looking at that shot is that they set up tents at your various civic buildings to house people until you rebuild.

EDIT: Yes I was correct, you can see the British version here:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/18/red-cross-simcity-dlc

The US version of the building says "AMERICAN RED CROSS" etc. for each country it was released in. A quick google search for those of you (myself included) who won't see it in game, also shows them setting up tents at the city hall, schools, etc.

• Original Poster
  • Sheesh. So Maxis/EA releases a DLC that helps a charity and still people go raging. I've seen someone on another forum actually try to argue that the Red Cross is not a charity worth supporting just to keep the black-and-white view on EA alive. And no, while giving all of it's profits to the Red Cross would have been cooler, $2 is not a secret cash cow. Also, unlike a recent angry-gamers-fundraiser, they aren't going to pull their money back when they discover it doesn't serve their own purposes *cough, Mass Effect, cough*.

I think it's great if publishers and developpers put some effort into charity fundraisers, even if it is just for PR purposes, it's still money going to a good cause. With Bioware recently supporting Easter Seals, this is a trend I'd like to see happen more often. God know, some gamers could use some more awareness of the world around them. Unfortunately I can't download it because I'm from the Netherlands. It would have been the first DLC I'd ever download. 

As for gameplay wise: I've heard rumors it houses homeless when it's not fighting disasters but I'm not certain. Like all DLC for Simcity, I think it's mostly flavor and doesn't add anything really important to the game. This one probably the least useful. If it wasn't for charity, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Just see it as a small bonus you get for supporting the Red Cross.

This is horrible. WHY does EA keep 20% of the sales? Theye given out free *dlc* before(nissan leaf invasive commercial, free house of worship *dlc*(patch) so then WHY do theye keep 20% of the sales on a red cross dlc? You want to give money to the red cross, donate 9.99 to the red cross and not 7.99(minus taxes) to the red cross and 2.00 to EA

• Original Poster
  • This is horrible. WHY does EA keep 20% of the sales? Theye given out free *dlc* before(nissan leaf invasive commercial, free house of worship *dlc*(patch) so then WHY do theye keep 20% of the sales on a red cross dlc? $%&^! it, you want to give money to the red cross, donate 9.99 to the red cross and not 7.99(minus taxes) to the red cross and 2.00 to EA

The Nissan DLC is basically paid for BY Nissan for you. The Red Cross DLC is paid for BY you to the Red Cross and EA. It would have been a good gesture from EA, and god know they can use it, to put more of their own money in. Apperently a fundraiser that gives 80% is given a 7.5/10 for effort by some charity measurement I looked up. EA will make the least amount of money of this DLC compared to the others. It's certainly a minimal sacrifice on their part, but a big win for the Red Cross who get paid at least $100.000. If nobody would buy it, EA would have to fork over the $100.000 which would be hilarious but I'd rather see the Red Cross get more and gaming companies be inspired to do more charity-DLC in the future.

Also: I now know what it does when there are no disasters. It is a free building that spawns two vehicles that act as wellness vans. When a disaster hits, it spawns more vehicles that go around putting tents on service buildings in which 10 sims can live each, that would otherwise be killed. A useful bonus certainly. Like the houses of worship, it's free cost makes it a plopping 'must' if you have it.

It does mean Maxis needs to come up with some way to claim cities without having the same DLC though, as it's going to burn multiplayer if less and less cities are available for claiming.

And I must believe that much money is actually going to the red cross. And the red cross uses it for real charity. The change is bigger we get a meteor hit in my city tomorrow then this is true.

And I must believe that much money is actually going to the red cross. And the red cross uses it for real charity. The change is bigger we get a meteor hit in my city tomorrow then this is true.

I'd say that's a bit cynical, but seeing the news of the cancer funds a couple of weeks ago,..

I agree with the previous sentiments that this DLC is largely pointless but It is DLC so the choice is your own as to whether or not to purchase it.

EA is clearly trying to improve their corporate image and good on them for trying. The question becomes whether or not this will give you the warm and fuzzies.

I don't think this is available in Australia so at least you have the choice...