Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Microsoft Buys NOKIA.

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

And how is its performance?

I recently got a Nokia Lumia 820, also comes with win8. Its pretty great. The only thing that is lacking a bit is the app market, not nearly as many apps as android. But then again, most of those are just thousands of apps for the same thing. 

Also, I like that you don't need internet to use Nokia maps. So you can essentially use them everywhere. 

If they make a Nokia-themed tablet, I might get an older Surface Pro instead. What I really, really fantisize for is to get a Microsoft Surface Pro with Iris (high-end Haswell) graphics and a Blu-Ray player.

--Ocram

• Original Poster
  •  

my new nokia has win8 anyway

And how is its performance?

decent

but im still in the learning curve on  typing on a overly sensitive touch screen

Cannot the sensitivity be turned down?

Actually the only downside I think it has is that Micosoft is still trying to make 'Bing' a thing. They should just drop that and go with google or something. 

You are asking Microsoft to tie into a direct competitor's product.  What other "or something" would you suggest?  MS's general hostility to everyone else over the years has put them in an impossible position.

Well my Galaxy is locked to Tesco who suck somewhat, so I am switching to Giffgaff (unlimited data). However my new phone is a clone of my present one seeing as I can't unlock it because of Tesco. Thus now I have solved that issue I highly doubt I'll be moving from Android/Samsung for many a year

You are asking Microsoft to tie into a direct competitor's product.  What other "or something" would you suggest?  MS's general hostility to everyone else over the years has put them in an impossible position.

They could just leave out any search engine. I mean, they hardwired Bing into the phone, but you can still for example download a google search engine app. So let people pick their own engine from the app store. 

This was kinda bound to happen. Nokia have been loosing marketshares big time and they have had some huge losses the last few years. Microsoft have trouble spreading the Windows Phone platform to most of the western world with a current marketshare of about 8 % or so (the rest of the world seem to be adopting it quite well though, which is nice).

Hopefully this will help both companies. I would like another large competitor on the smartphone market.

I have had 3 Windows Phones the last few years, currently stuck with a Lumia 920 which is by far the best SMARTphone I have ever had (honestly I still prefer a physical T9 keypad for texting).

There are however a few areas that bothers me:

• The phone is a bit too locked down, you cannot change email or messaging apps, change keyboards or themes (besides "accent" color for tiles and stuff). A bit more open (not Android open, but a bit closer integration between the phone and the apps would be nice)
    • No custom notification sounds for email, texts, alarms etc. - Come on! Seriously?
    • Only one volume control for EVERYTHING. You cannot have a high ringtone and then silence apps - oh and putting the phone in silent/vibrate mode only mutes notifications and incomming calls, apps still have sound enabled.
    • Lack of popular apps - Well you have the most critical apps, but whenever your friends are playing some game (like wordfeud, ruzzle, drawsomething, quizbattle etc), you first get an app when the hype is over and everyone stopped playing - I.e. We got Ruzzle about a month or two ago.

Stuff I like about my current Windows Phone

• It's fast and really stable.
    • The user interface is fresh, simple, responsive and intuitive
    • Induction charger - I know that handling a charger is not that big of a thing but I have rejected cord chargers all together now, just put it on the pad and it charges, no more 4 dimensional charger cable dilemma. A few cafees in my area have built in chargers into their tables so whenever I go out my phone automatically charges which is nice.
    • Lack of a notification center - Really! I missed it at first when I left Android but the live tiles provide me with the notifications I need. If I don't have an app pinned to my home-screen in the first place it is probaby not a that important app in the first place.
    • Nokia Maps are really fantastic! Was 3 weeks in the US (in 4 different states) downloaded the maps from home to my phone and I had NO problems whatsoever. The mall shop layout feature is a nice touch as well.
    • The design of the phone - It's highlighter yellow. It stands out from the crowd :D