Sign in to follow this  
ausa07

RHW showing up blank/white with NAM 31.2

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

G'day,

This is my first post on Simtropolis and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... So please forgive me if it's not >.<

I'm having issues with the new NAM 31.2 (I kinda wish I stuck with the old one as I never had issues with it) :(

For the most part, NAM 31.2 has been running without problems. After just a few months of having it, some of my RHW networks have been turning white. For example, when I loaded the game one day, all my RHW 6S pieces render white. Then another day all my MIS pieces & filler pieces would be white but the RHW 6S pieces would be fine.

Here are images of what I am trying to explain (again, please note it is not always these particular road pieces that render white--It changes every time I load the game)

PortAngel-Feb283731376821160_zpsc04611fe

PortAngel-Mar143731376821206_zps54560002

I am running this on a Mac (v10.6), 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB, and 320GB hard drive >.< if that is any help. I also have not downloaded any new mods before this happened. I've tried everything from reinstallation of Simcity 4 Deluxe, patches, reloading the game, reinstalling NAM 31.2, changing the file path, etc. It also seems like I can't find anything regarding this on Google, Simtropolis, SC4 Devotion, etc. Does anyone have any solutions to this issue?

Cheers,

Evan

G'day,

This is my first post on Simtropolis and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... So please forgive me if it's not >.<

I'm having issues with the new NAM 31.2 (I kinda wish I stuck with the old one as I never had issues with it) :(

For the most part, NAM 31.2 has been running without problems. After just a few months of having it, some of my RHW networks have been turning white. For example, when I loaded the game one day, all my RHW 6S pieces render white. Then another day all my MIS pieces & filler pieces would be white but the RHW 6S pieces would be fine.

Here are images of what I am trying to explain (again, please note it is not always these particular road pieces that render white--It changes every time I load the game)

I am running this on a Mac (v10.6), 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MB, and 320GB hard drive >.< if that is any help. I also have not downloaded any new mods before this happened. I've tried everything from reinstallation of Simcity 4 Deluxe, patches, reloading the game, reinstalling NAM 31.2, changing the file path, etc. It also seems like I can't find anything regarding this on Google, Simtropolis, SC4 Devotion, etc. Does anyone have any solutions to this issue?

First off, welcome to posting! 

I've dealt first-hand with a lot of NAM tech support cases, and I don't recall ever seeing any reports like this, though I have seen some similar sort of graphic glitch-type things.  You mentioned that you're on a Mac--are you running the Windows version with some sort of dual-boot or emulation/kernel layer, or are you running the actual Mac port?

From what I can tell by your description, with the "whiteout" oscillating between different networks/pieces, I don't think it's an issue with the NAM itself, but rather, something pertaining to your graphics card settings.  We've gotten reports of "z-fighting" issues with some NAM items, from users with nVidia cards.  Have you recently installed a new set of drivers or made any other sort of adjustments to your graphical setup? 

-Tarkus

• Original Poster
  • Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Windows so I am running the game directly on the Mac OS.  I just recently had to get rid of my PC and SimCity has seen better days on it than on my Mac  :P

I haven't made any changes to my Macbook's graphics card (or my entire computer) since I got it back in 2010.
    The only reason I came to believe that it may have to do with the NAM v31 on my computer was due to the fact that when I had NAM v30 on my Macbook I didn't experience this issue.  This only came about when I had installed NAM v31. On a side note, I didn't have this issue with NAM v31 on my PC  :)

Here's all the info I can pull up on my graphics card:

graphics_zpsb8a15844.jpg

Now I heard there is a way to alter the 'Graphics Rules.sgr' file to conform to the graphics card you have on your computer.  Is this even related to the issue I may be having?  I'm trying to find a way around this issue without having to buy a new computer, parts or Windows software... but if that's what I must do to keep playing this game then I suppose I must do what I have to do.  After all I've been playing the SimCity franchise for 17 years and I have no intention on giving it up anytime soon  :lol:

I did find a thread about Graphic Rules.sgr stuff at SC4 Devotion.  That might be of use.  I'd also look at the game's settings on the graphics options as well.  It's possible that switching your rendering mode (from Software to Hardware, or vice-versa) might help.

The Mac port (especially if you're using the unfinished Universal Binary--which you shouldn't have to on 10.6, from what I've heard) is notoriously problematic, too, from what I've heard.  No one on the NAM Team runs the Mac port (even the NAM Team members who are on Mac users), so we're not really able to provide much tech support for specifically Mac-related issues, unfortunately.  I'd maybe pop into the SC4 Mac Users subforum here at Simtropolis as well--TEG24601, one of the moderators there, has probably the best knowledge of anyone about bending the Mac port into behaving properly.

You might want to consider trying to get the Windows version running on WINE/WINEskin on the Mac, too.  There's a thread on that too.

-Tarkus

• Original Poster
  • Well I tried switching the rendering from hardware to software and that just caused the game to CTD consistently.  Altering the Graphics Rules.sgr file wasn't of help for me either as it only caused the graphics to render incorrectly.  I use Wine to run all my exe files but when I tried running the Windows version of the game through Wine it had too many issues.  I reckon until I am able to afford a new computer or graphics card I am out of luck... shame as I was about to create a CJ... No one wants to see images of blank white roads  :P

Thanks for all your help though  :)

• Original Poster
  • Sorry for the late reply I've been busy as of lately.  I ended up reverting back to RHW 5.0/NAM v30 and I'm not having the issue of the 'white patches' anymore.  Sad that I can't use NAM v31 but I was able to get some components of NAM v31 to work with NAM v30 so a reasonable compromise I suppose  :)

Did you post a difficulty in http://www.winehq.org/ under either the forum or the bugs reports?

No I didn't... I just decided I couldn't be bothered haha. For the time being I'll just be running the Mac version of the game until I get a new PC and purchase a new Simcity 4 PC copy since disc 2 is likely damaged.  Every time I try to install on my roommate's computer it freezes at Simcity3.dat  :lost: 

Well, if you are getting a Windows PC get the digital download for Deluxe from either Amazon or GamersGate.  Version 1,1,641 is diskless and fully patched.