Sign in to follow this  
eyein91681

Help with Automata Modding

72 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Have noticed that some people wants to try out to do some automata.

They often runs into problem. If you are one of those please do post your problem in this thread and I will try my best to help you. Hope other people will help out too.

I have collected some articles about the problem concerning automata modding in my Google Notebook.

Before posting your question, please try an extra time to read the articles and sort out your problem yourself before posting.

When posting please use pictures and maybe also post the dat file.

You can you can use the following free hosting servers:

For postig picture: ImageShack, photobucket, imgcity, postimage.org.

For uploading the other files like dat's: YouSendIt, Savefile.com.

When uploading to yousendit, just post your own mail were required and copi then link you get and paste it in your post.

• Original Poster
  • can someone help me with replacing an old railcar with one that i made.  I also need help with putting a uv map on it..I know that there is a tutorial for it by vester but i read it and it doesnt fully explain what I want to do.  perhaps someone who did it already can tell me the steps they did thanks

What kind of railcar is it you want to replace ? Freight or passagner ? Car or engine ?

Check out the The Basics of Modeling and Texturing (for Rise of Nations) it explain have to place a uv-map with LithUnwrap v1.3. The only part which is different is how to get the 3ds-model into the game.

Please do be a bit more patient. It took me months to go from reskinning to totally replacing the model and a lot of try and error. Let just say it took me 4 days and around 6-8 triel to reskin the roof on the MAPP Tram that I am working on now. I had to split the roof into 4 parts, before I got it like I wanted it to be. I read the two last articles several times in this attemt.

The first 4-5 articles (those by Trolca) I have read like, I don't know how many times, before I figur out how to do the modding they descripes.

Most of the articles in what you called a tutorial is not writen by me, I have just collected them in a Google Notebook. I would say that allmost everything is in there. Maybe not well writen, but still cover most of it.

Andreas Roth: Thanks for locking all the automata modding threads.

I have been trying to re-skin cammo2003´s connex el train to create a Berlin S-bahn train. I have found and followed the tutorial by vester_dk, but there is something that I do not really get.

Well, here´s where I have opened the dat file in the reader, opened "mats" in the S3D and changed the texture of the train side into Berlin style. So far it works out really well...
    s_error1.jpg

Note that the material ID is 0x112c0000

Going back to the list of entries, I find my bitmap. It has instance 112c0000 - I suppose this has some correlation to the material id of 0x112c0000? (i am a modder $%&^! you know)
    s_error2.jpg

But now comest the part that I do not understand at all. 

s_error3.jpg
    There is another FSH file with another train side skin in the list, it has the same instance as my skin but it is silver, not "rot/gold" 41.gif And this silver skin shows up on the trains in the game...

Really thankful for any help!

As you noticed the two skins have the same InstanceID. There should only be one. Just erase the other one. He probaly made 'clone' of the first skin, forgot to erase it. Now just go ahead and erase the silver skin.

I like to see a preview of the model with the skin on. Maybe add a gradient at the edge of the roof will make it look better, than it already is.

EDIT: It also looks like there are two pairs of s3d files with the same TGI ID: 5ad0e817,  badb571f,  112d0000 and 112d0001 and two exemplar files with the same TGI ID too. He probaly merged two dat-files togther. I can tell you what to erase without having the file for closer look.

Vester. it seems that it worked allright just to delete the silver skin. But another problem showed up, it seems that the fromt/ end texture is not rendering on one of the two places it holds on each car. One side is rendered, the other is just black.

Vester, If You could have a look at the file and "clean it up", You can find it here:

http://www.autobahnark.se/sc/berlintrain.zip

I also added a gradient, it did not really tur out as I had expected but it was an improvement anyways.

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by: Odd from Sweden Vester. it seems that it worked allright just to delete the silver skin. But another problem showed up, it seems that the fromt/ end texture is not rendering on one of the two places it holds on each car. One side is rendered, the other is just black.

Vester, If You could have a look at the file and "clean it up", You can find it here:

http://www.autobahnark.se/sc/berlintrain.zip

I also added a gradient, it did not really tur out as I had expected but it was an improvement anyways.

Thanks for the feedback!

quote>

I assume you mean in-game? It looks fine in the reader, (aside from the fact that the faces are back to front. 18.gif

Very nice skin, BTW...

Welcome to Simtropolis TimCubsFan92! 39.gifI hope you enjoy yourself here! 10.gif

Usually, you extract (unzip) all mods into your My Documents/Sim City 4/Plugins folder and they should work in game. Most files usually contain a ReadMe and if there is one, always read it as it contains useful information on how to get the mod into your game.

Hope this helps.

TCF 92: also, you can only use one modd at a time, unless you use Vester's multi-tram modd (avable here: https://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=15116) where you can pick which one(s) you want installed.

OFS: try just replacing all of the seprate textures with the same Berlin S-bahn skin. Textures work by majority rule, but it's weird that it doesn't replace them all automaticaly

Guess what, Vester.

I'm back and I got some news.  I'm trying to make a bizjet (small jet) mod, however when I try to replace the texture it says "Texture is not in this file."  I wonder if any of you had a similar problem.  I'm the first to attempt modding the bizjet, so it might be a problem.  I think it's because the FSH is in a different DAT (Sim_City_2).

Clue: I am the first ever to mod the bizjet.

Fix #1: So anyway, maybe you could make a "preparation" bizjet DAT that doesn't have that problem, as even if I make a new DAT it won't work.  I've tried strange modding techniques, but they didn't work either.  Once the preparation DAT is ready, if I see no problems in it, that will be awesome, then I can replace the textures accordingly.  I think ya had to do this in the first plane mods.  So you can do it again, but my modding experience doesn't reach it, so maybe you could make it.

Fix #2: I stay with strange modding, thougn even if it's modded like that it still won't work in-game.

Fix #3: Don't bother about making a bizjet mod at all.  But it is needed, as the SC4 bizjet (Rockwell Sabreliner 40) is unrealistic, especially the nose section.

I got over my problems before, but I don't know about this time...

Swamper, I found the problem.  I pasted the S3D and Examplar flie into a new DAT, then I copied the FSH file in.  What I needed to do was backwards (Put the FSH file into a new DAT then copy the S3D and Examplar file.  Now the replace texture button works.

I want to redo the passenger ferry skin. I can find the textures in texture viewer, but I want to look up the entire thing with the S3D and etc so I see how the skin fits

Okay, here's something interesting:

This is what my tram looks like in the reader, notice how the rear has a skin on it:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/301/streetcariliveoh3.png

However, this is what it looks like in-game, notice how the rear has no skin, and is whited out:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6222/uv1qx0.png

(no matter what I try to do, the pictures only show up as little blue dots, or little boxes with red x's in them.)

Hi

My problem is, when I change the Istance ID of the Material ID under the MATs tab of the S3D, to a new ID from the newly generated
    FSH file, the S3D model becomes all white. Any way I can fix this? Or could you tell me what Im doing wrong?

Here are some pictures:

Those are the propierties and their TGIs
    a0d0das01cy4.jpg

And this is the S3D file
    a0d0das02bm3.jpg

I hope I've explained well.

hi, im new, and i dont know how to post, and i didnt know where i should post, but i got a simoleans modd, the one that gives you either 1M, 5M, or 25M, and i dont know how to make it work.

Put the dat file in your c:/program files/maxis/simcity 4/plugins folder, and see if it works. If you have simcity 4 NOT RUSH HOUR then you need a different mod.

NEED HELP: How do you change textures? I downloaded some automata mods from simcitycentral.net and I want to change them.

Specifics: Polish, UK, Russian, Swedish, Dutch, I think that's it, civic vehicles.

And is there any way to change the light effect on top of the police car, etc. when the siren's going? That single red light effect looks STRANGE on top of a UK cop car with a blue light.