• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corsulian

Huntington, DC

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • So I'm basically emulating the greater Washington, DC area.  Not at all trying to make an accurate reproduction as you'll see from the maps--just doing what I know.

I begin with the Phoenix Map by Mallowthecloud.  It's a good map because it's relatively tame, but still has some interesting features.  It's also enormous.

capitalarea1kc.jpg

Now that I have the perfect map, it's time to totally mess it up.  You can see pretty clearly how far I've gotten.  It takes a lot of time, because there are 110 large city maps overall.  It looks so different because I'm using the Olympic Terrain Mod by Cycledogg, as well as his crazy trees.  I'm also using a water mod by Pegasus.  Things look pretty good up-close, so I'll do some more work and post some of those images later.

capitalareathumb5ul.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Along the western edge of the region is not an ocean--it's Koskimo Bay.  As you can see, things here aren't really set up for beach resorts any time in the future.  It is rather scenic, however.  Also, the seafloor is apparently not even remotely level.

newcityjun80011508466417bm.png

Slowly, but surely, the green tide is taking over the land.

It actually doesn't take nearly as long as it would if I didn't have Cycledogg's trees.  An added bonus is that they plop radius in god mode is like five times larger than normal.

The big river toward the north is called the Alturas, the smaller one in the middle is Kimatami, and the tiny one in the south is the Eiletz.  The "converted" city all the way to the east has a tiny river snaking up out of its northern edge--that is Stone Creek: destined to one day be surrounded by a park which will be frequented by the political elite having a morning jog while the sun is out, and at night shall be full of crackheads and other deviants.

capitalareathumb20ii.jpg

• Original Poster
  • And we end Day 1 with this much done: (48/110)

capitalareathumb34ky.jpg

Here's a bit more detail on Stone Creek:

newcityapr90011508604593vo.png

Sorry the pictures aren't more interesting--there's only so much you can do with terrain.

In response to Yoman3'squestion (Nice region. Does this have anything to do with Washington DC?):

I'm from the DC area so that's what I would know what to realistically build.  I don't have the time or patience to even consider dealing with a scale rebuild of DC (just Great Falls and the C&O Canal make me shudder). 

So, I'm making something "similar"

It's called Huntington, DC

Instead of honoring the first US President, I'm honoring one of our Continental Congress presidents

It's District of Charlevo (a deliberate mispelling of Charlevoix since Americans don't do French--Pierre Francois-Xavier de Charlevoix was an explorer) instead of District of Columbia, which is named after explorer Christopher Columbus

As noted, it's Stone Creek instead of Rock Creek--a small river snaking north out of DC

Most of the rivers and bodies of water are named for Native American tribes

There will be many more similarities (names, transportation setup, and how things look overall, and--if I become more clever--govt buildings that employ huge amounts of people)

Also--DC is a giant swamp, and most people avoid ever being in the rivers or the Chesapeake Bay--so my bodies of water are not inviting or used for much of anything

That's why everything is so freaking green

wow, that map is huge! it does look pretty awesome though with cycledogg's terrain. looking forward to seeing you develop this!

• Original Poster
  • Oh, it's comin' along (70/110)

capitalareathumb47fq.jpg

At this point it's just a matter of filling in trees.  I think I'm done with all the rivers and lakes and such.

Special thanks to the words of encouragement from:

dfnva

cityhawk

Tommy_Vercetti3

owenluby

collgab

Yoman3

Goin2Chicago

gerAndi

purpledaddy

kant01

Battlecat

I know it's a pain in the behind to have to go in to each little city tile to get the new terrain textures to show up. You're almost there, and then I look forward to your towns/cities!

Are you also going to make an annoying city across the map, which seems to be more in touch with the state, more powerful to the state, but somehow a rival to the 'district', 2 baseball teams, and smaller, yet more beautiful and middle class suburbs. Oh wait, that Baltimore! Sorry, but we baltimoreons always have to say somethin' about DC! Excellent use of terraforming along to shore! Can't wait for more. I think you should use ploppable water (3 rivers region for help w/ that)

• Original Poster
  • You can see the rather faint outline of the beginning of the road network.  It takes time to draw realistic roads (well, streets...the region will evolve over time) over 110 large cities.

capitalareathumb67pt.jpg

As per reality, most of these faint roads will one day be the major routes in the area.  Not interstates--just major "avenues" and highways.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: rushman5 Are you also going to make an annoying city across the map, which seems to be more in touch with the state, more powerful to the state, but somehow a rival to the 'district', 2 baseball teams, and smaller, yet more beautiful and middle class suburbs. Oh wait, that Baltimore! Sorry, but we baltimoreons always have to say somethin' about DC! Excellent use of terraforming along to shore! Can't wait for more. I think you should use ploppable water (3 rivers region for help w/ that)quote>

A few things:

1. No hate, Go Ravens! (I don't do baseball--although it is nice to have two lousy teams that close by)

2. Theoretically, the map is loosely based on rectangle stretching between Leesburg, VA; Manassas, VA; Rosaryville, MD; and Montpelier, MD.  Now while this map is enormous, it is only about 2/3 that size scale-wise--so that's why I'm not paying much attention to any accuracy.  Anyway--no Baltimore.  Just 295 and 95 twisting north to nothing in particular.

3. Thanks for the compliments on water and the advice.  I've been looking into seeing if I want to place "fake water" anywhere on the map.  Or possibly widening the Alturas River to make it more realistically possible for a few ports--or even placing a canal (the C&O?)

4. More beautiful suburbs?  You don't like our million dollar prefabricated homes 3 feet apart from each other constructed around fake ponds?

wow, the terrain looks really good, excellant work!

I be lookin forward to another update

GO REDSKINS!!!

(i love messing things up)

110 large cities?!?! Wow, that's going to take you a while to develop!  But what a canvas to be working on!  The final terraforming looks fantastic!  I can't wait to see the first round of development!