Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LowRider0123

So many files....so little patience!

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • Ok, so Ive been surfing the site for a few days now and I realised that there are thousands of programs, mods, and files for download. IM starting to get confused about what the different files are (3ds, BAT, Lot, and Prop). I dont know what any of those are. Could someone give me a rundown please? 

Also, what are some of the essential programs/mods/files that I should download?

Thanks in advance everyone :-)

3DS models are usually 3d models and GMAX scenes for use with the program GMAX to create your own models for the game. GMAX is a free 3D modeling program that is available from turbosquid.com.

BATs are models created with Building Architecture Tool, a plugin for GMAX that exports your models into a form that the game can use

Lots are small parcels that contain a building and various props, textures, and flora.

Props are small objects that decorate a lot. Some examples are trees, buildings, cars, street lights, etc.

Flora are trees that grow over time. They usually start out small and become larger trees over a period of time.

Buildings are what contain each lot's properties and define what it does. There can only be one building per lot. Prop versions of buildings allow you to place additional "buildings" onto a lot. Some lots contain "invisible" buildings, so the buildings you see on the lot are actually props.

Textures are what covers the ground. There are two forms of textures, bases and overlays. Base textures cover each tile of a lot. Overlays sit on top of the base textures. Overlays create some of the parking and paths that you see on lots.

-Swamper77

• Original Poster
  • So what exactly do each of them do? Like, are BATs buildings that just pop up in a zone? Or do I have to place them myself? Im just really confused with the whole thing. God I'm such an old man.

Residential buildings are ploppable as well as Commercial and Industrial. BAT's could be an RCI ploppable, park, vanilla Landmark, just about any lot configuration.

• download the Sc4tool program:
    • http://www.simtropolis.com/modding/index.cfm?p=details&id=390
    • this program will allow you to scan custom content and gets it true stats, and also list dependancies that are required (95%of the time) , and tell you if they are installed in your game...tool also has a database of all the original game buildings and lets you compare custom stuff to the stats of the original game
    • it a very user friendly program, and to tell if a lot (RCI) is plopable or growable, just check to see if it has a plopable cost...no cost..it's growable...4.gif
    • a lot of the lots now are relesed with both a growable and plop version in the the download, you can use either/or depending on your personel playing style

PS...Tool also has editing abilities that are simple to use...to maybe edit the stats of a BAT or lot you like the look of...and cater it to your playing style...4.gif

Lowrider, welcome to SC4 and ST!

Read the descriptions on the items on the STEX. If the creator spent the time and did it properly, it will say what the lot does. Many lots will have various versions, and you may choose whether you want to use the growable version, ploppable with jobs, landmark version, etc.  When you find a lot that has what you want and is clear with its instructions, then you'll probably like that person's other lots -- click on their name to sort by all of their creations. (Try SimGoober for starters -- you can trust him).

I'm with Tolomar on the Sc4tool -- I love it, and I'm amazed at how useful it is.  However, if you're at the stage where you don't know what a BAT is, then you might find the tool a little daunting this early in the learning curve.  Tolomar is probably a lot more computer-literate than I am.  2.gif

Show us your pictures once you get some BATs to grow.

Listen to Cobb. Any creator worth their salt will have explained what their creation does on the download page or in a readme file in the download. On residentals, they are almost strictly growable. There is a bug that prevents residentals from being used as functioning plopables so 99% on the STEX are only growables or have a landmark version included so that you can preview it. Most commercials have both a ploppable and a growable version and most industrials, in my experience, tend to just be growables. Best advice, again is to follow the readme instructions.

• Original Poster
  • Now Ive downloaded SC4 Tool but have no idea how to start it! Everytime I do it says "Application Error: Application failed to initialize properly". Now what smart guys/girls?

your best bet is to contact Andrea Roth or try the SC4tool program thread...I personellly did have trouble getting the program up and running...a conflicting file...once I got that strighted out it ran ok.

yea I know it a long read, but it most likely someone else has ran into the same problem...4.gif

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=121&threadid=62826&highlight_key=y&keyword1=sc4tool