Gangyaput

Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

Set on a planet far far away, in a parallel universe where the East is just a bit different from ours..

Entries in this City Journal

hunkske

Disaster!

Update  29/08

I figured out what the problem was with my computer, the video card had given up.. Thank God it wasn`t the harddisk!

Well, since my computer was already several years old, I decided to buy a new laptop.

So here we are, got me a new laptop, and have been able to retrieve most of the data on my old computer`s harddisk. Which ofcourse is very lucky!

But now the bad stuff, although I`ve been able to recover all my data, even the SC4-stuff, I can`t access my city anymore..

So, I regret to tell you that my region of Gangyaput has become irretrievable, so I`ll have to redo the whole thing.

Stay tuned for Gangyaput version 2

04/08

Disaster has struck!

As I was preparing a new update, my computer started acting funny and to make a long story short, my computer doesn't do a thing anymore!

At this moment I don't know whether it's the motherboard, or the videocard or even the harddisk..

As I'm also going on holiday till end of August, I regret to say I'll have to put this CJ on hold for the time being. 

I truly hope there's nothing wrong with the harddisk,  in which case I can continue this CJ as soon as it is all fixed.

Otherwise I'll have to start all anew, which might take quite a while.. 

Thanks for all who have visited the CJ - and keep fingers crossed I haven't lossed anything on my harddisk..

hunkske

Ganji

Ganji

For as long as one can remember, the fishing village of Ganji has existed on the banks of the Saugangya. For many years the village provided Buddhiyapur with fresh fish, and in return the village enjoyed protection from the royal family.

But a hundred years ago, as the city grew ever larger, the river eventually got polluted and fishing in the Saugangya became something from the past. So it was that many fishermen moved out of Ganji.

Today the village of Ganji is part of the city, and it is in fact the second slum area next to Dharwi.

Gopalji ka rasta, one of the main throughfares in Ganji

bangan05.jpg

Ganji lies right next to a nice upper middle class residential area, Vileparle. In fact, on the other side of Vileparle there lies Dharwi. In Gangyaput, the poor and the rich, the old and the new all coexist side by side. As you can also see, the city has a serious litter problem. The citiizens of Vileparle are not at all happy with this situation, and petitions and demonstrations regularly cause havoc in the already populated streets of Gangyaput.

bangan03.jpg

Artist impression of some remains of the original fisher's village and the 'new' slums

bangan02.jpg

And as you already have seen by now, there are a lot of foggy days in Gangyaput. This happens when the heat gets trapped, and clouds move in. The polution doesn't help much I'm afraid. Here the fog has just set in, hence the brightness which is still around. Don't get your hopes up, the brightness will soon disappear, leaving the city in a total haze of fog..

bangan06.jpg

Last but not least, a view so you'd know where Ganji lies in relation to Buddhiyapur.

bangan04.jpg

Well, that's all for this update.. Enjoy!

hunkske

Dharwi

Hi all! Update took a bit longer than expected, but here it is!

Dharwi

On the banks of the Gangya, just across the foot of the Laalkat, there lies Dharwi, the city of the poor.

For centuries the less fortunates of the population found shelter and accommodation here. Buy where once only a few hundreds lived, over time Dharwi became a place for many thousands of people.

Characterized by its maze of houses, alleys, waterways, market streets, and once shunned by everone, this part of town has now become a must see for everyone tourist in town.

Dharwi can be seen in the left and right uppercorner

overview1.jpg

More Dharwin - on one of those famous foggy tropical days

overview2.jpg

The streets of Dharwi

slum01.jpg

The Lakshmee stream.. it takes you from the Saugangya straight into the heart of Dharwi

slum02.jpg

Often by the crossing of a stream and a road, stalls appear with delicious food!

slum03.jpg

One of the more organized markets, the Gahesh Market

slum04.jpg

It's often easier to go around with boat than with car.. There are no bridges, so a little "one car" ferry will have to cross you over

slum05.jpg

Someone was probably flying over while taking this pic

slum06.jpg

Dharwi is always full of life

slum07.jpg

Boats just seem to be left behind, but be aware, theft is punished heavily in Gangyaput!

slum08.jpg

hunkske

BUDDHIYAPUR

In the last update, we had a look at the brief history of Gangyaput. Today we have a closer look at Buddhiyapur, the Old City.

Taken out of the offical tourist brochure: Parts of the old Lal Qilaah can be seen on its slopes and grounds, and highlights of a visit to the old city include a visit to the restored Fort of the Nawabs, now housing a history museum. Visit the ancient remains of the Mahagangyawat with its restored main temple, or stroll through the little streets of the old living quarters with its mudlike houses, masheeda’s (prayer towers) and fountains. Go to the old Baag Saraayat, and marvel at the beauty of the exotic garden terraces. Wonder beyond the populated living quarters and visit Shilla Tower, or attend an evening prayer at Boon Wat, a beautiful temple in Siyam style.

Buddhipurscenery06.jpg

Typical street scenery.. 

Buddhipurscenery04.jpg

Buddhipurscenery01.jpg
Masheeda's (prayer towers), fountains, greenery.. the Old City is full with it..

ShahTower.jpg
Shilla Tower

ShahTowerpond.jpg
Shilla Lake flanked by a solitary defence tower, once part of a vast and powerful system of walls and alleys to keep the enemies out

entrancegateinmist.jpg
A foggy day, of which there are quite a lot.. The entrance gates can be seen here, as well as the remains of the Fort of the Nawabs

And last but not least, an overview of Buddhiyapur.. 

overviewofBuddhiyapuronasunnyday.jpg

hunkske

Introduction

For the longest time I wanted to make an Indian themed region. However, there’s so little Indian BAT stuff around, that it’s a little tricky. I’m not good at batting myself, so have to rely on others and a bit on my own ‘creativity’ like lotting some things together.  I decided to base the story in a parallel universe, where things have evolved similarly as on Earth, but then again not quite the same. That’s why this CJ might feel very oriental at times, and at other times more eastern/western  in general.. So don’t be deceived, it’s the whole intention J

So here we are, let me present you what I have so far, and hopefully you all like it. Those of you who remember my previous CJ, Jacksonville [link to it..] know I kinda like portraying history a bit, so that’s not going to be any different now either. Thanks to everyone out there whose creations came in very handy for this project. So without further ado, may I present you…

GANGYAPUT 

Our story starts on a planet in a parallel universe far, far away.. A planet much like ours, in fact very much like ours.. A planet divided by west and east, and all divided by very different cultural  backgrounds. And so this story starts on a continent situated far east on the planet and in a time long ago. On this planet, called Industan, there flowed a mighty river called the Gangya. It provided the region with lush green forests and abundance of water. People had flocked to its banks for so long, that even time itself couldn’t remember. On those same banks, a city emerged 4000 years ago, its name, as mystical now as it was then, was Gangyaput – City of the great goddess Gangya. For it was in those days, that the river was worshipped as a goddess, giving life and fertility to all who lived at the rivers’ banks.

ganga-dussehra.jpg Artistic creation of the goddess Gangya

Time is cruel, and not much of those days remains, except for the old city on the high plateau. This high plateau, a large flat hill surrounded on one side by the Gangya, and on the other sides by the Saugangya (side river of the Gangya) has always offered a mighty natural defence against all enemies. It was on this hill, known as Laalkat (meaning Red Hill in Industaniya language), that king Mahater built the first fortress. The fortress stretched the entire length of the hill, and within its walls contained a whole array of buildings, from the king’s personal palace, the Mogh Keela, to servant quarters and gardens. In those days the ordinary people worshipped many gods, while the royal family worshipped only one god. It was the age of the Elothiya.

redfort01_painting.jpg Painting depicting the fort in King Mahater's time

Time went by, as did the kings. But some 2500 years ago, there arose a new king, a king who like the ordinary people worshipped many gods. And so it was that the age of the Elothiya gave way to the age of the Brahmaniya, they who worship many gods. A new golden age had arisen, and king Brahman decided to construct a magnificent temple, dedicated to the goddess Gangya and to the creator god Brahman, and called it Mahagangyawat, the temple of Gangya the Holiest of Holies. Also he constructed the Baag Saraayat, the Palace of Gardens. This complex housed the summer palace for the king, and had exotic gardens planted on it terraces. So it came to be that king Brahman got crowned the title of Raahaj Brahman , Great King Brahman the worldly-wise of Gangya, on whom the sun never ceases to shine. The king also allowed certain people to live within the walls of the fort, such as close royal relatives, physicians, poets, scribes, etc and so there arose new living quarters within the fort’s walls.

Mahagangyawatgrandview_edited.jpg

Mahagangyawat - The temple of Gangya

Buddhipurscenery03.jpg

Baag Saraayat - the Royal Gardens

A 1000 years ago, the Brahmaniya dynasty ended, and so the ero of the Nawabiya started. No longer there were kings to occupy the palaces in the City on the Hill, since the Nawabs were no kings but rather army lords. Due to regional war tensions, the hill became more fortified. However, people still continued to live on the hill, but slowly the City on the Hill became nothing more but a beautiful memory and its once great buildings fell into ruin. All that was left were parts of the fort and a few living quarters, from then on the hill was called Lal Qilaah, the Red Fort. But when about a 100 years ago the country got unified and the city of Lakshmitaya became the country’s capital, effort were made to restore its buildings. So today the City on the Hill reflects its glorious and turbulent past, and people lovingly call it Buddhiyapur, the Old City.

overviewofBuddhiyapurinmist.jpg

The Old City can be seen on the left-hand side, although this picture was taken during the rainy season.

So that was all for this chapter. More screenshots on the Old City will come in the next update! Enjoy!

Sign in to follow this  

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections