• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Admiralteyskiy V - The Night with no End

Kim Sunwoo

jbPn64q.jpg

"Go to the baths. Put on your white dresses.
Eat the funeral dishes. Lie down in your coffins
and prepare for death. On November 7 the skies
will be blue with the explosion of German bombs
"

- German leaflets thrown in Leningrad

JrfE3vT.jpg

XdasN8z.jpg

1/11/1941 - Anticipating the Bolshevik Revolution aniversary, a rain of German leaflets fell on the city since early November. This was the second time they asked women to dress in white. The previous time they promised women wouldn't be hurt if they did so, and those who believed it provided an excellent target for German aircraft.

LnYRsmT.jpg

7/11/1941 - November 7 was the aniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution, the big Soviet holiday, and the Germans had been preparing for this day. At dawn, bombs started to fall in the city. These were not ordinary high explosives. These were heavier than anything the Germans had used on Leningrad before; naval magnetic mines, weighing a ton or more, with a diameter of nine or ten feet, attached to parachutes.

In the picture we also see a blue flare apparently shot from the second floor of the building in the corner, south of Griboyedov Canal. Rumors of Nazi activity flooded the city. It was suspected that traitors were using rockets and flares to guide Nazi bombers. This was never proven, but Leningraders were sure about it.

eR9PvIO.jpg

More than 10.000 people died in the air raids of September, October and November. Destruction, death and hunger knocked everyday at the door of the Leningraders.

2fFp2ij.jpg

Disclaimer: This CJ includes original photos taken during the siege. To my knowledge none of them is protected by copyright, but if I were wrong I'm happy to delete any picture that infringes the law.

----------------------------------[CREDITS]----------------------------------

This is my favourite update so far. I had it in mind since the day I started the CJ, so I really hope you will enjoy it.

Looking forward to read your thoughts!

14 Comments

Recommended Comments

Quite the poignant entry. I've always thought of the Soviets as being the enemy of the west even when the west were technically allied with them during the latter parts of the war but this serves as a good reminder that they suffered tragic loses as well.

Share this comment

so sad.....

But omg, the way you reproduced it....simply amazing..very touching entry, emotional, heartfelt and beautifully rendered.

You are the master my dear friend.

I will definitely catch up with your future entries upon my return in about a month!! I will definitely miss your updates! :)

Share this comment