After Saturnia had absorbed neighboring cities, it was now a more flourishing area with the combined economy of the 2 cities. As companies flourished, it led to the issues of a shrinking middle class because of industrial thriving in the early 19th century, leaving the majority either in the lower class, or in the upper class. The lower class was living in poorly built rows of identical tenements, with the upper class riding on their fine carridges from around Old City. This led to growing concerns of revolution in the 1800s-1820s.
It also led to concerns in the Election of 1828, in which James Colman was running for mayor's office against Sylvester Wood, who had different opinions about the issue. Wood believed that upper class's effect on society was greater than the rising tensions between classes, while Colman felt the opposite. As the people voted on December 2nd, 1828, the results had Colman elected to 4 years as Mayor of Saturnia. The effort went on for a higher satisfaction of the majority of Saturnia, which at this point had an 64% lower class, 8% middle class, and 28% upper class.
On September 23, 1831, the Goodman Textile Mill in North Saturnia was burned to the ground. The flames spread to 12 other factories, 4 of which also fell. The Saturnia Fire Department record hold it as one of the greatest fires in history. It is the 2nd deadliest in Saturnian History, and 5th in the Metropolitan Area. The Saturnia Times reported that it was done by a worker in attempt to destroy the factory in vengeance. Though that may very well be true, legend says that Sylvester Wood was seeking his own revenge...
A few weeks later, at the corner of Grand Avenue and Liberty Avenue, the construction of the St John the Evangelist Cathedral began. It was finished, and the first mass was held on January 24, 1836, and it was declared seat of the Episcopal Diocese of Saturnia. It still serves that role today. Adjacent to the Cathedral is the Parish House and an Episcopal School. The Cathedral still averages a full crowd of 2,000, filling the grand Cathedral. It's cross on the spire reaches a final height of 220 feet.
The 1830's were a hassle, with the rebellions spreading throughout the city, Colman was said to have good judgement as to free speech or if criminal charges were needed. He was reelected in 1832, when it was starting to calm down. In 1834, when the same groups threatened to destroy City Hall if no act was passed, Colman decided to raise pay for low wealth workers. By this point, the classes were more divided, making the only remaining task reuniting the people. Colman, elected for a 3rd time in 1836, did it again.
In 1839, the University of Saturnia main building was opened, serving as the center of the city's education. The current buildings were added in 1845, 1879, 1900; and the stadiums built in 1943 and 1987.
In the 1850's, the calmed industrial workers in the Southern portions of the city worked on one of Saturnia's main tourist sites, the Trans-City canal. Often dubbed the "root canal", it had workers taking their goods from the factory, to the canal, down the river, onto the seaport, and the goods were shipped. In 1855, the St Thomas Aquinas church was built by workers for a place of worship.
In 1861 the Sim Nation National Railroad Company proposed that a new railroad connecting major cities would be ideal for Sim Nation. In 1863, the first spikes were laid on Saturnian ground, in the Northern Industrial District in the city. A small station was added in the area, leaving that as the main mode of transit now between cities. Unlike it is today, Saturnia was farther south than any other major city, despite being 200 miles from the southern sea, making most trains stop and turn around in Saturnia.
When that occurred, the Grand bridge was constructed in 1869, being the first bridge to span the Concord. It still has prominence, being the longest railroad bridge in the area.
The 1880's was a time for much development in the city. That year, Saturnia City Hall was completed. The dome is world renowned, and one of the largest.
That same year, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception was started, and was meant to serve as the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Saturnia. Development rumors also started on a pair of twin bridges to span the Concord. In 1890 the bridges were began, and more development came into play when a mosque was started in 1893. The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception was completed in 1894, and has been seat of the Archdiocese of Saturnia since then.
In the 1890's, the automobile was brought into play in Saturnia, making one of the new bridges a road bridge. The switch was well accepted. Local rail lines were also completed at this time.
In 1898 it was noticed that the rich of Saturnia's Juniper Cove neighborhood were living in equisite, but small homes. So that year, the Cathedral house was constructed, making it the first building in Saturnia to exceed 300 feet. It is 303 feet tall, and well designed. It was widely considered absurd, and people feared it would fall on the St John's Cathedral of on homes nearby. It was also bashed for the fact that St John's was no longer visible from the Concord, even if the spire may be from some points.
After a century with ups and downs, and much innovation, Saturnia was ready to face the upcoming 20th Century.