• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

a small Martian colony

Terring

Remember that it's not a truly tutorial, so don't blame me if something goes wrong :D

As about the trial paths, there are plenty of them here in Simtropolis, as well as in SC4D and SimPeg. Find your favourite style and grab it ;)

Let's see what happened to the colony. Hmm, not bad.

BarsoomTown-18Apr121349788864.jpg

Here are some advises from me. Take them or leave them :D

To build my colonies, I always fire up the Lot Editor and make my lots. SimMars doesn't have trail paths, so use the Lot Editor to make your own. With some imagination and the right tools, you can customise your colonies as you wish.

BarsoomTown-23Apr121349788938.jpg

BarsoomTown-29May121349789109.jpg

BarsoomTown-16May121349789057.jpg

BarsoomTown-2Jun121349789131.jpg

The factories in the future will be fewer but larger and more sophisticated. Use the Control button to zone specific sizes like 3x3. Don't just lay the industrial zones or you'll get a messy result... unless if you want it of course. Your colony, your rules.

BarsoomTown-12May121349789036.jpg

If pollution is rising, use the SimMars water and air purificators to clean the mess.

BarsoomTown-7Jun121349789160.jpg

It's a good idea to build some factories close to your utilities and connect them with the rest of the colony by some mass transit.

BarsoomTown-8May121349789006.jpg

Thanks to hydroponics and genetic engineering, those underground indoor farms can feed more than 1 colonies. So avoid zoning miles and miles of farms just for a small colony, because it's very wasteful. Don't build a huge headquarters of farms for your region. Make a network of smaller farms close to your colonies, providing food faster and easier.

BarsoomTown-4May121349788987.jpg

BarsoomTown-1May121349788973.jpg

Try to give to your colonies a generic theme, with homes, jobs and landmarks. You colonists should have access to anything they want, so your colonies should me as autonomous as possible. However don't be shy to make some themed colonies, like tourist colonies close to beautiful natural landmarks and industrial colonies close to useful resources and with a lot of recycling centres. Connect all your colonies by any way you want. Subways is a great way, but you can also use magnetic railroads and speedways as well.

BarsoomTown-6Aug121349789444.jpg

Oh, something last. SimMars can support some extra mods as well, but not all of them. Don't use C.A.M., it will mess your colonies. N.A.M. is not fully compatible. S.P.A.M. will mess your farms. Always test the extra mods before use them in a sandbox region.

Hmm, nothing else to add :uhm::D

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Nice Terring, I like this. But I have a problem with SimMars, and happens too with Memories of the Colonists: when the city starts to have +10,000 people, there appears a lot of no jobs zots over the residential zones, when the amount of jobs in the city is the double of people and the city is very well comunicated. What happens there?

Share this comment

60% of all soy and 80% of all corn grown in US is genetically modified.They do it to make crops resistant from pesticides.If more you demand from plant then other traits just dissapear.I went to grocery store and the cucumbers had no natural smell.They didn't have any nutrients in them.And who does this?The same people who make pesticides they modify plants.

Share this comment

And if you are not convinced of horrible genetic modification,here is a fact:GENETICAL MODIFIED PLANTS ARE WIPING OUT NATURAL BREEDS THROUGH CROSS POLLINATION. If you have a garden near a farm owned by one of those huge corporations,chances are that the next harvest will be genetically modified.They sometimes put a gene from a tomato into a carrot to make it look more vibrant because genetically modification takes away from characteristics.Genetic modification is EVIL.We all know that McDonald food is artificial but what is horrible is that crops are becoming artificial too.

Share this comment