• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

2 19 : County Park

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

In today's entry , we will be looking at the Cape May County Park tile in Middle Township

cplocate.jpg

Located in Middle Township just north of Cape May Court House, the Cape May County Park and Zoo cover about 220 acres of woodland, ponds, and marshes.

cpark.jpg

Located between US Route 9 (easternmost north - south road) and Dennisville Road ( western FAR road, CR 657), this section of the county has been set aside for the recreation of residents and tourists alike. While there is some development along US 9 and a few homes along Dennisville Road, this section of the county is fairly undeveloped. To the north is the Stone Harbor Country Club. South of that is the County Park and Zoo.

shcc.jpg

The Stone Harbor Country Club is a members only golf course.

parkzoo-1.jpg

Cape May County Park, looking west. There is ample parking near the Dennisville Road entrance.

paths.jpg

Many trails meander through the park, offering a nice place for picnics and other family outings.

park.jpg

There are extensive areas for the kiddies to play.

parkeast-1.jpg

The park extends east of Route 9 north of Crest Haven Road. There are tennis and basketball courts, and a softball field

CountyPark.jpg

The lakeside gazebo is a popular place for wedding photos.

zoo.jpg

The primary attraction of the Cape May County Park is its zoo. Built in 1978, it is one of the finest free zoos in the country. Over 250 species of animals are housed in 85

acres of exhibits. It features a free fight aviary (wear a hat !) , a reptile house and an African Savanna display. It is run by the Cape May County Zoological Society, a non profit partner of the county government. There is no admission, but donations are accepted for maintanence and feeding of the animals.

llama.jpg

One of the more popular exibits ( well, at least to Sim City fans) is the llamas. It's rumored that they actually run the place.

savannah.jpg

One of the nicer sections of the zoo is 57 acre African Savanna display

savannahreal.jpg

Zebras, giraffes, and other and other critters wander free about an extensive grassland. It's worth the long walk to the back of the zoo.

Well, that's it for this week's installment. Thanks for viewing, and your comments. They really mean a lot. I'll be working on Cape May Court House, the county seat next. It's a large tile that's fairly developed, so it may take a little while for the next update . Stay tuned !

REPLIES :

Great history lesson on the POW camp and the mosquito control dept. I imagine the mosquitoes in the early 1940s were not very kind to our war guests.

As for growing low wealth on high value land, yeah, that can be tricky. Overall, great update!

I would think the 90 + degree heat and oppressive humidity in the summer wouldn't have been all that pleasant for our northern European guests, even without the mosquitos. No air conditioning back then, and the bayside doesn't get much of a sea breeze. Thanks for the comment !

Looks good

Thanks !

Good Update!

Thank you !

I hate mosquitoes so much. Anything they can do to kill the little buggers off is fine with me!

The mosquitos aren't as bad as the flies. There is the greenhead fly, a vicious little monster that can draw blood with it's painful bite ( drawing even more pests) and the black fly : smaller, but just as annoying. Insect repellant seems to be just gravy for them. After a day of fishing on the bay beaches, a person has to literally run out of there once the sun sets.

Looks good. 5 stars from me

Thank you very much !

Sign in to follow this  

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Yeah, I went to school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (the UP), and the flies up there are gigantic AND they bite. They're on the same level as mosquitoes, and although no other place I've lived has them, I believe they do exist in other locations.

Share this comment

That is a great little community zoo - It reminds me of the Madison WI zoo that I used to visit when I lived up there. The African safari section with the in-game wild animals is perfect :)

Share this comment

By the way, I think it's great you are experimenting with MMPs. All I can say on that front - practice makes perfect. I will recommend one MMP that I could not do without: [b][url="http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2687"]girafe's cattails[/url] [/b](summer version)

They blend in nicely almost anywhere.

Share this comment