• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

2 - 17 : Back to the Bayshore : Reed's Beach

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

In today's update we return to the western shore of the county, focusing on the area around Reed's Beach.

reedslocate.jpg

It is a sparsely populated section of Middle Township, comprised mostly of salt marsh and farmland.

BidwellCr.jpg

Heading south on NJ 47 from Goshen, the road crosses Bidwell's Creek. Upstream of the bridge the creek branches, with Bidwell's Creek heading east and Skeeter Island Creek turning south. Skeeter Island ( east of the creek) is a Federal Wildlife sanctuary and access is prohibited. About a mile south of the bridge, Reed's Beach road heads off westward to that tiny bayfront community.

marina.jpg

On the southern bank of the creek is Bayway Marina.

marinareal.jpg

The marina is one of the few that offer convenient access to the fine fishing on Delaware Bay as well as providing a sheltered harbor for transient boaters heading up the Delaware Bay.

reedsfarm.jpg

Looking west across Delsea Drive. Heading west on Reed's Beach Road takes one through a mile or so of woodlands and marsh to Reed's Beach.

reedsbeach.jpg

Reed's Beach is the northernmost of Cape May County's Delaware Bayfront communities. A handful of bungalows and vacation homes maintain a tenuous hold amongst the dunes. The access road often floods during the high tides of the new and full moons ( not to mention during time of storms) and residents and visitors have to wait an hour or so for the waters to recede to access the village. The marshand east of the dune line is a prime habitat for several species of migratory waterfowl,making this a premier spot for the many bird watchers that come to the region in the spring and fall.

turtlexing.jpg

Visitors to the county are often amused by many of the strange road signs they encounter here. Here we see one of the many turtle crossings in the region, this one just east of Reed's Beach.

simbeachhouse.jpg

Beachfront homes along Delaware Bay.

beachhouse.jpg

Bayfront homes, pictured at low tide. At high tide, the waves lap underneath the buildings. Fortunately for the most part the surf is fairly gentle this far up the Bay.

beachroad.jpg

Beach Avenue, looking south. The prevailing northwest winds blow sand from the dunes over the road and it often needs to be cleared , particularly after a winter of nor'easter storms. You may notice there are no homes on this section of Beach Road. They were washed out to sea during Hurricane Gloria in the 1980s .There wasn't enough land left remaining to rebuild.

inlet.jpg

Here we see a fisherman returning to harbor with a load of tasty blue crabs harvested from Delaware Bay. The rock and concrete jetty was built on the southern bank of the mouth of Bidwell's Creek to prevent it from being blocked by shoaling sand.

bcreek1.jpg

Well, that's all I have for today. I hope you've enjoyed your visit. As always, comments are appreciated ( and encouraged). I value your feedback !

REPLIES :

Is it "sage-town" or is it "saig-town"?

It's pronounced "sig-town", although I've heard it pronounced "zig-town" also

One of the best recreation journals in SC4 history - I appreciate the patience you must have.

Thanks! I've lived here for most of my life, but I keep finding out new and interesting stuff about the region. It also gives me an excuse to get out and be a tourist .

This looks really good.

Go Devils!

Sadly, most of the folks around here are Flyers fans, but I'm with you on that one, though. Any team that actually admits it plays in New Jersey ( unlike those Giants and Jets) gets my support. :D

I like how the golf course houses are all the same - quite realistic :)

How much bulldozing did that take? :P

I tried for about an hour until I finally got frustrated and went to my last resort, the lotplop cheat. I don't like using it because it messes up the RCI demands and particularly with residential lots they don't find work and the lot abandons. I used it for the screenshot, then deleted them. Maybe I'll go back when I have more patience

Sign in to follow this  

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

Nice use of the FAR :) Add a nice variety of flora to the swamp and it'll look very authentic (I presume there is marsh flora, never had to use it myself)

Share this comment

Great job once again! I love the use of PEG's buoys and the RL picture. As far as trying to get the right residential lots to grow, one trick I use is to sort the different custom content I download into the four different tilesets (Chicago, NY, Houston and Euro) using the ilives reader. Then, if you want a certain res building to grow, just select the correct building tileset in game, and you have greatly increased the chance that your building will grow. It may be a lot of work initially, but I think it is worth it in the end - especially after intense bulldozing sessions.

Share this comment

Swamplands definately need loads of flora, this is the environment that trees and plants usually love, so they exploit it as they can.
But apart from that, dude, it's impressive. Nice use of the FAR and of diagonal streets, the way you work with the "canals" is incredible too. Really, really enjoyable to see.

Share this comment

@ LostRealist: I would agree with you that a fresh water marsh would hold a great diversity of flora. Not so for the tidal marshes. They are flooded twice daily with salt water brought from the ocean on each high tide, and makes for an inhospitable environment to most plant life. The flora is for the most part cord grass and salt hay, two species which can tolerate the higher salt levels
[IMG]http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/jettyjockey/Sim%20City%20Journal/Terraforming/Dennis%20Creek/jakeslanding.jpg[/IMG]

With increased development of the region , more fresh water is being pumped from the county's aquafiers. A resut of this is that the "salt line" ( the point where a stream or creek has a high enough salinity level to be considered brackish) has been advancing steadily upstream in recent years. A result of this has been the killing off of species that are salt intolerant, like this stand of salt petrified trees along the banks of Green Creek

[IMG]http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af350/jettyjockey/saltkill.jpg[/IMG]

Share this comment