Confluence Region

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Introduction & Teaser

grstudios

confluencetitlecard01.jpg

Welcome and good day, Simtropolis viewers!

In the course of this CJ, I will share with you the creation of a full scale region.

Starting with terraforming, mostly handmade, the early posts will focus on the long, tiring process of giving life to the land.

Next, it will be the turn of the pioneers to set their homes there, beat the elements, conquer agriculture and at last develop society.

My goals:

1. Realism:

In order to be realistic, one must follow many guidelines, many than the usual aspects of SC4 gameplay -I will explain those every now and then, but I don't want to waste your time right now -- it will have to wait...

2. Natural Development:

Settlements density, distance between them, transportation routes, land uses - all of those will parallel the natural courses of human activity, without developing too fast. In real life it takes societies decades to grow. That's how I'll go by.

3. Openness:

I will try my best to explain my methods, to share my information with the community, and sometimes even show that in pictures...

I believe that approach could be useful to anybody.

Now, pictures:

Confluence region spreads along 4*4.5 tiles, and is based on izidor44's "Aberdeen, WA" map.

Great credit to that - it's an awesome mold to cast my ideas to.

smallviewaberdeen.jpg

These two pictures are of small rivers I created in the central tile of the region, the tile to be developed first.

capture0042007201218391.jpg

capture0132107201220255.jpg

That's it for now... Next update in the upcoming week.

Thanks for watching/commenting.

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

I love that small river or water flow or whatever.. :D

What did you use to make it? Props? Plops? Any idea where to find it?

Share this comment

Quick reply to IL. (don't worry, i'll comment to everybody at my next update)
I use the RFR ploppable water. It's great and it has a variety of textures.

Share this comment

Nice streams, looks great so far. My only suggestion would be to add a few more types of trees for extra variety - the deciduous trees look a little repetitive. Otherwise, great stuff. You blended the stream beds very well.

Share this comment