• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

2- 6 : Woodbine

Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

Hello ! In today's update we look at the borough of Woodbine.

woodbinelocate.jpg

Woodbine was founded in 1891 as a haven for Eastern European Jews who were being persecuted in the Czarist pogroms. The Baron DeHirsch Fund, organized by the millionaire railroad tycoon Baron DeHirsch, purchased 5300 acres of land in Dennis Township to start a settlement. Immigrants from Poland and Russia were invited to settle the new community. Within two years, they cleared the forest and built a town. 800 acres of land were set aside as town lots. The community started the Baron DeHirsch Agricultural College in 1894, to better train the immigrants in modern farming techniques. Unfortunately, the soil was poor so Woodbine gradually switched to a light manufacturing economy. Most of the original settling families drifted off to the suburbs of the major cities, to be replaced by a new wave of immigrants from the Carribean and American South. As a result, Woodbine is the most culturally diverse town in Cape May County.

woodbine1.jpg

Overview of Woodbine. the majority of the old town is on the western side of the map.

east.jpg

Areas east of town. The Woodbine Municipal Airport was built during WW II as a training and anti-submarine base to help combat the U-boats that were ravaging shipping along the New Jersey coast during 1942-43.

preview.jpg

Looking north on Washington Street ( County Road 557) where it intersects with Webster Street ( CR 550) . Woodbine Elementary School is east on Webster Street from the intersection.

realfarm.jpg

South of town are several horse farms.

horsefarms.jpg

Here is the Woodbine Equestrian Center, on Washington Street.

horses.jpg

Another horse farm on Tyler Road

azeez.jpg

Looking west across Washington Street. The old synagogue (center, with cul-de sac) is now the Sam Azeez Heritage Museum. To the left is the Woodbine Post office. Two blocks above that is St. Casimir's Roman Catholic Church. Many of the two story homes are the original homes built when Woodbine was settled in the 1890s.

statepolice.jpg

The New Jersey State Police maintains a barracks in Woodbine, providing law enforcement for the rural areas of northern Cape May and southeastern Cumberland Counties.

industrial.jpg

Once an extensive manufacturing center, only a small amount of light industry remains in the town center. The space between the Woodbine -Ocean View Road and DeHirsch Avenue was once the railbed of the West Jersey and Seashore Railroad, since replaced by a line of parks seperating the industrial areas from the commercial and residential areas south of DeHirsch Avenue.

pallet.jpg

Further to the northeast is the entrance of the Cape May County MUA landfill, providing waste disposal for most of the county. More solar power arrays are popping up on open land throughout the county. South of the landfill is the Robinson Pallet Company, established in 1981.

wdc.jpg

The former Baron DeHirsch Agricultural College has been taken over by the state and is now the Woodbine Developmental Center, providing training for New Jersey's developmentally challenged.

treefarm.jpg

Heading out of town on Fidler Road towards Dennisville is Krogman's Christmas tree farm.

trashflow.jpg

* One of the reasons I've back tracked of sorts and built Woodbine when I was steadily advancing south along the Delaware Bayfront was a growing concern over trash disposal. Neighbor deals are in place basically sending all trash to the county MUA in Woodbine and the extension of it on the Mount Pleasant tile. (currently not built). This was part of the reason for the failure of my first attempt at the Cape May region, about 7 years ago. Once a city was not able to pay for trash removal, it sent a backlash down the garbage chain, overwhelming each community down the chain in turn with a tidal wave of garbage. I've learned a bit since then, and my cities' growth is not as reckless, but it's still a concern that haunts me.

Well, that's all I have for this installment. I hope you've enjoyed your visit ! As always, comments, questions,

suggestions and requests are all welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for stopping by !

-JJ-

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

A thoroughly beautiful work of art is Cape May version 3!... What happens when you have finished off all the existing development... will you "go large" or keep the growth slow and small town-ish? I also like the history snippets you include with your updates... it's nice to know a little about an area you aren't familiar with.

Share this comment

[b][img]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/733/bestofthebestsmall.jpg[/img]
[size=2]CONGRATULATIONS!! THIS ENTRY WON [url="http://community.simtropolis.com/journals/2774/entry-16530-week-19-5712-51312/"]BEST OF THE BEST! - WEEKLY EDITION[/url] FOR THE CATEGORY [i][color=#0000FF]BELIEVABLE[/color][/i][/size][/b]

Share this comment