• Comments
  • Views

Heavy Construction

SimCoug

New SorGun Masthead.jpg

Update 5
Heavy Construction

Fall 1852

Well, it turns out Mr. Yarahi was up to something. A number of townsfolk were hired and construction began on the mystery project in the middle of the summer heat. Whatever it was, it was by far the largest construction project taken up by the residents of New SorGun.
596786b6a94fd_Update5-1millconstruction.jpg.e251011332cc6a6383b3d53adf32cc6f.jpg

Pieces of the frame were quickly erected, and Mr. Yarahi was always a constant presence at the site.
596786b857a33_Update5-2millconstruction.jpg.6686d1230952c15a81656474b993f876.jpg

Finally, as the fall months collapsed away toward winter, New SorGun could now claim to be home to the regions first saw mill. Word got out quickly, and a number of small workers shacks sprung up around the massive structure. Teams of lumbermen began harvesting the good timber surrounding the mill, and the first stacks of cut lumber could be seen piling up in the yard.
Update 5 - 3 Mill mosaic.jpg

Some of the cleared land to the south of the mill became home to a number of Indians. It became apparent that the settlement of New SorGun could offer protection from enemy tribes, and opportunities for work and trade was another draw.
596786bcc5736_Update5-4IndianPointoverview.jpg.8123ee0c5767b4510eb7056dbe1bd171.jpg

Most of the townsfolk didn’t mind the close proximity of their new neighbors, as peaceful relations with the local tribes had been the norm up to this point. Plus, the Indian population in the area far outnumbered the settlers, so stirring up hostilities was not going to end well for the settlement.
Update 5 - 5 Indian point mosaic.jpg

Mr. Yarahi bet his entire life savings on the success of his saw mill – If this little settlement could grow and prosper, he would become a rich man. But while the town had grown over the past two years, nothing was certain in the middle of the wilderness.
596786c0478ef_Update5-6overview.jpg.58dcbd1b3ab017c405695324987f4af2.jpg

11 Comments

Recommended Comments

Beautiful scenery and an interesting and entertaining story line are making this one of my favorite journals. Add another follower to your list, I'm all in. Keep up the good work !

Share this comment

Directors Commentary
Welp... remember those light posts I mentioned in the last update commentary?  Looks like I forgot to do some erasing in this update :uhm:
As I was writing this update I was having trouble coming up with a name for the mystery man who would eventually build the first logging mill in New SorGun.  I had been a member of Simtropolis for some time at this point and @Yarahi was always a huge presence in the 'can't find it' threads, helping me and countless others who were searching for that perfect BAT, so I decided to write him into the story a bit.  It wasn't the last time I would bring the community into my CJ... it's sort of become a tradition I guess.  
You can tell I was really getting into rocks with this entry *:lol:
At the time (and to this day) I love how MMPs can really liven up a shoreline, especially when used under water.  It is way too time intensive, but totally worth it in the end *:)
This was the first introduction to Indian Point, which seems to get plenty of attention in New SorGun going forward.  
More custom lots... but ugggg... really not liking those base and overlay textures.  Got to start somewhere I guess. 
Until next time...
*I am in the process of updating all the images in order to ensure they don't have broken links in the future - in addition I thought I would add a little commentary since it's been 5 years since these entries.

Share this comment