Tarkusian Cities

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chemeketa: Wallace Road NW Widening

Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with more Tarkusian Cities . . . the start of another brief "spurt" of updates, beginning with a brief little "prelude" this update.

First off, here's a new map . . . this shows the Chemeketa Parkway (Highway 215) completed, as well as giving a peek at the direction of future improvements in Chemeketa. You'll notice some red boxes with numbers, denoting projects, as well as some dotted lines.

http://gmapuploader.com/iframe/xEvZ3cVDhr

Wallace Road NW Widening (South of Greenwich to 43rd Ave)

This project will widen the stretch of Wallace Road NW in Vivien Heights from 3 to 5 lanes between just south of Greenwich Ave NW and 43rd Avenue NW, just south of the interchange at Highway 221.

This is Wallace Road NW just south of the intersection with Greenwich Ave NE (facing north). It's a 3-lane road (2 travel lanes with a center turn lane), which functions as the main artery between Highway 221 and the city center of Vivien Heights.

FD2iN.jpg

This is just a bit north of that intersection (facing north).

lr3lU.jpg

This is at Wallace Road and 43rd Avenue NW (facing north), a major road that leads to the western reaches of town, up in the hills--you can see construction preparation is already underway at the bottom of the image.

aQmNx.jpg

The grocery store there had to be torn out to make way for the widening (facing north). Vivien Heights has been operating under a construction moratorium for some time now due to inadequate transportation facilities, but these restrictions are due to be loosened upon the completion of widening, which will open the west side of the road to commercial development, allowing a replacement to be built.

D9plF.jpg

Wallace Road has now been widened (facing north), though the pavement on 43rd has been torn up, as it'll be rebuilt to handle turn lanes.

gBnmE.jpg

43rd has been rebuilt (facing north), and the intersection signalized.

9maJh.jpg

This is just north of the intersection at 43rd (facing north), where the road currently narrows back down to 2 lanes, just south of the interchange at Highway 221. The interchange will be rebuilt substantially in future updates, as the area north of Highway 221, as well as land immediately west of Wallace, will finally be opened up to development.

ssy5r.jpg

Here's the intersection at 43rd now that all the construction equipment is out of the way (facing north). A park has been built at the site of the former grocery store.

lDtUg.jpg

That does it for this update. While I had initially planned on switching gears over to a new region, I've had a bit of a "second wind" with Chemeketa and am still planning out how to present the new region, so we'll be staying in the same vicinity for awhile. Lots of construction still to do. :) Hope you enjoyed it!

-Tarkus

Sign in to follow this  

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

The map is an epic achievement, fabulous. The update was cool, too. The NAM adds so much to the game, and it shines in your cj!

Share this comment

Why did you have to demolish the store?! Oh, and there were cars on the dirt road in the first pic. Great update as always though!

Share this comment

I'm also a bit confused about the demolishing of the store. Seems there was plenty of land on the other side.

Share this comment

[b]SimCoug[/b]: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the road work--lots more of that to come next update!

[b]Moskva[/b]: Thanks for the compliments on the map! Hope you had fun navigating it.

[b]NMUSpidey[/b]: Thank you for the very kind words on the map and the update! Hopefully, I'll be able to sneak some newer NAM stuff in before much longer . . .

[b]IL.[/b]: Wow, that's quite a compliment--thank you!

[b]DAB_City[/b]: That's a good question . . . there's a myriad of reasons why. First off, a new location for the existing store had recently been opened in the near vicinity, making it redundant (it was about to close down). Additionally, the land's owners were more willing to sell than the owners of the undeveloped land to the west (which had become extraordinarily valuable), and it allowed the city to widen the road with a more direct alignment, and expand the park. Also, I'm not one of those types who obsessively tries to save buildings.

As far as the cars on the dirt road, well, that's the construction workers . . . they were parking over there. Glad you otherwise enjoyed the update, and thanks for asking the tough questions!

[b]nycsc4[/b]: As mentioned in my reply to DAB_City, there's quite a few reasons for it.

New update up momentarily.

Share this comment