• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

New SorGun

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Winter Months

SimCoug

New SorGun Masthead.jpg

Update 3
Winter Months
Winter 1851-1852

Not long after the winter shelters were constructed the brig Leonesa captained by Daniel S. Howard came to anchor in the bay.
Leonesa-ship-1855-ad-1.jpg

The San Francisco fire destroyed large parts of the city, and lumber was needed to rebuild. The “Leonesa” intended to sail to San Francisco with a cargo full of much needed lumber. The New SorGun settlers immediately drew up a contract and began cutting piles near the shore.
596780e1ee485_Update3-loggingscene2.jpg.f3161c7351b0265b6cfdefcc2c479c9d.jpg

Here’s an actual photo from the late 19th century showing loggers getting piles into the water for transport.

tug.jpg

After the good timber near the shore was exhausted the settlers moved further inland, using a yoke of oxen to get the larger trees onto the beach.
596780e07d09d_Update3-loggingscene1.jpg.0f9f4a936eee7b60105fcfd97e1423e5.jpg

The labor was exhausting, but after about 20 days of working sunrise to sunset, a full load of 256 piles were delivered to Captain Howard.
Update 3 - logging mosaic.jpg

The payment from the logging contract gave the settlers much needed cash which was spent on food and tools, livestock and firearms. The winter was mild, and the settlers put some of the farming tools to good use tilling fields that would be planted once spring arrived.
596780e5cca27_Update3-tilledfields.jpg.dacc7d6331ee36014dea0daa6be86ebb.jpg

Although winters in the Pacific Northwest are typically wet and mild, they do get some snow once in a while.
596780e456505_Update3-Snow.jpg.f9427bff0041f60f0c009c8825f8f4d5.jpg

Based on their own travels and information from their Wapato friends, the New SorGun pioneers were able to put together a rough map of their surroundings.
596780d73578f_OldMap2.thumb.jpg.b6255be09ab2648304858f94d6783d2d.jpg

Finally, an overview of the progress made.
596780e3252a5_update3-overview.jpg.c590a2deb62b461f8c1f2129d3ea4baf.jpg

596781cc7ebcb_NewSorGunRepliesBanner.jpg.4dfb520e226311a84b89ca5434dfadbb.jpg

LastTrueChamp said:

Love this, brings me back to the days of old.

Thank you, and I appreciate seeing you here again.

Fox said:

Love the picture of the canoes...

Your region is very beautiful, and the coast line is very cool.

Thank you - adding the flora gives it some added realism I think.

vivapanda said:

Looks like a good start, I already wonder what the village will look like in a couple of decades...

As do I, and thanks for stopping by again. The next few updates will see some big changes to this little settlement.

Jetty Jockey said:

I love the attention to detail in this journal.

I'm so glad you notice the details - It makes adding them all the more worthwhile.

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your feedback.

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Directors Commentary
Ever since I discovered the PEG Logging props I knew I wanted to get them into an update.  I also got a little more creative and began adding details to the shoreline with more MMPs.  This entry was also my first foray into editing my images in photoshop.  It's nothing fancy, but the snow scene is just me playing around with the color swap sliders.  I guess it didn't turn out too bad.  The map is a little less convincing, but it gets the point across *:)
*I am in the process of updating all the images in order to ensure they don't have broken links in the future - in addition I thought I would add a little commentary since it's been 5 years since these entries.

Share this comment