The Illyrian Empire

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Bechyne

Sign in to follow this  
Daan300

Today's update is about the town of Bechyne; again one of those typical Illyrian coastal towns. It is situated on a headland where two rivers flow into the sea. The town was established somewhere in the Xth century and gained city rights in 1268. Not much from this time remains in the town, except for the monastery church and parts of the castle. Although the town itself is small, it has the largest medieval town square in the Illyrian Empire. Now, let's have a look at the town.

First stop is the castle complex. Originally built in the XIIIth century (red-roofed parts), the main building now dates from the XVIIth century, along with many of the auxiliary buildings and the small gardens.

BE06.jpg

BE05.jpg

Below a part of the town square, which is the largest medieval square in the Empire. On the bottom is the so-called "Old castle", which is rather deceiving since it was only built in the XVIth century, 300 years after above mentioned castle.

BE09.jpg

The main square from different angles. Near the centre of it is the town's main church, the Church of Our Lady, from the XIVth century. Next to the square is the monastery of saint Benedict, dating from the XIVth - XVIIth centuries.

BE10.jpg

BE04.jpg

Outside the old town walls is the monastery of Our Lady, largely from the XVth century.

BE08.jpg

An overview of the castle complex and part of the old town. To the right one of the two old bridges connecting the headland with the surrounding areas. This one is from the XVIth century.

BE01.jpg

And the other bridge, this one was built in the XIXth century. To the left the pilgrimage church of saint Anne, from the XIIIth century. The old monastery surrounding it burnt down in the XVIIth century and was not rebuilt.

BE03.jpg

And the new bridge heading west.

BE07.jpg

The town is also famous for its spa, established in the XVIIth century. The current buildings in the new town are from the XIXth century.

BE11.jpg

And finally, two overviews of the entire town.

BE02.jpg

BE00.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

I love the overview, the bridges close up, but my absolute favorite is the fountain in the square - absolutely perfect.

Share this comment

[color="#FF00FF"]Stunning! I love it for all it's detail.

I think I like the bridge picture the most. I'm reminded of the Millau Viaduct.[/color]

:blush:

Share this comment

Just finished looking through this and its beautful. i already saved a bunch of shots for inspiration in one of my citys. i love all of the parks that you made using the garden scrolls by D66. i will definatly be following this.

Share this comment

Replies:
- Towerdude: thanks!!
- Blakeway: well, I didn't make it just for you to be jealous ;) . But, seriously, thank you, I am honored by your comment.
- Benedict: thanks! I like building the historic parts of a city best, so I spent most time making sure it is exactly to my liking.
- Schulmanator: thanx. And good to have you back!
- Fox: the bridge turned out quite nice indeed. Thanks!
- panthersimcity4: Thanks!
- 10000000000000: well, it just a random name... :lol: Thanks :thumb: .
- evanm1487: well, thanks a 100 times!
- alerules: I always try to make my cities look as real as possible. Unfortunately, I don't always succeed, but I am very pleased about this one. Thanks!
- winchester1: I am honored. Maybe you could share the final result with us?

Share this comment