Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gggg

Looking for a job

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • As you probobly guessed, I quit my job today.
    and NO.. i did not got fired...I quit..22.gif
    3.gif
    anyways...
    I should feel bad but I dont, I hated it anyway.
    so now comes the annoying part... I have to look for a new one.
    14.gif
    and ppl in my age(17) can only get a job in fastfood joints, malls...etc.. I hate those.
    btw I worked as a... eerrgg how do I translate it to english..34.gif
    Phone servicehelp line <----- ( I dont sure I translated it corectly )
    so...yeah...
    I just wonder did you ever quit/got fired from your job, did you looked for a new one and what was it?
    21.gif

I used to sell Salem cigarretes (illegaly) in streets. Its not a job, but if your in the Financial problem stage, this is the only choice i have. I also got arrested 22.gif twice, but since back then i was 15, i just had to stay in a lock-up overnight & no charges.

Im finding a real job now, so i can goto college 19.gif woohoo!

btw, each salem pack i sell costs 10.95MYR, thats like 3US$. 30.gif i still have 250 packs left, mostly for my dad & sis.48.gif

I am looking for a new job also, but I cannot quit the low-paying, dead-end job I have now, until I find another one. Without any college education, that pretty much limits the jobs I can get to low-paying, dead-end jobs though. Ive been at my job for 16 years as a laboratory assistant, and it barely pays enough to live in low-income houseing. Ive also been a custodian and newspaper delivery person. Someday I will get enough money to go to college I hope, unil then im always looking for a job I can advance in, without having to spend a fortune on school. I feel like im going brain dead, just washing beakers all the time.

You should have a lemonade stand! --Okay, that was a joke.

Fastfood places are gross. They smell weird and they always seem constantly dirty.
    Malls are too crowded. period.

I work for my brother right now, i only get paid $5 an hour 'cause i dont really do much...
    Anyways,if you have a sibling that could always help

-Ellie13.gif

I don't think it's so much the type of job as it is the people you work with. I had a job everyone despised but I loved it because I had great co-workers. I had a job everyone liked but I hated becuase my coworkers bickered and argued constantly. Now, which one do you think I stayed with?

well gggg if this was before 1990 you could of worked for the KGB!!!! lol, jk

mabye you culd at an underground record store, or some kind of russian punk rock place! lol ause theres tons of paces in New York id like to work at, but my parents wont let me take the train every weekend to get to them!

Ive had a few, first i worked black in a cafeteria but that was only for a weekend filling in for a friend.

Then i worked an entire summer at Swedens biggest Marina, both in the convinient store and at the petrol station(for boats), liked the petrol station better, didnt have to know all the prices on bread and buns that way, just icecream and petrol ^^

Now im employed by a company that deals out the local newspapers Metro, but i dont work atm since its too cold. Hoping to get an indoors job at one of the closer hotel/swimingpool/fitness place. Cleaing or the like, just because the winters are way to cold for lil me to be standing out in the snow giving newspapers to people that are to lazy to pick em up 2 meters away...

For this summer im hoping to be repairing electrical equipment at my dads work, phonestations and the like, driving a car and everything ^^

Cheers
    //Sim

I want a job...I'm only 15 though...I would work in the brand new Subway but I'm too young...I need some money and the small jobs that I do simply don't get me what I want...

I work at a movie theater... and it's terrible the snobs that come in sometimes. Of course none of you are like that... right?22.gif Anyways, I've been actively looking for a new job for the past 4 months. No luck yet, but when I do find one, I'm outta that place!5.gif

Jobs for teenagers with only the most general qualifications are a problem. However, there you are in one of the more interesting cities in Europe with lots of museums, historical places, and galleries. How about going for a job as a security guard (if your criminal record is OK) or as a tour guide in one of these places. Does Intourist (old name) still exist or did it die with the KGB? Working for the Chamber of Commerce, Syndicat d'Initiatif, or whatever it is called these days might turn out to be a cushy job. How is your conversation in languages other than Russian?

Date: 2/23/2006 6:14:44 PM Author: beebs I work at a movie theater... and it's terrible the snobs that come in sometimes. Of course none of you are like that... right?22.gif Anyways, I've been actively looking for a new job for the past 4 months. No luck yet, but when I do find one, I'm outta that place!5.gif
    quote>
    :O Me too!

I worked in a Hardee's kitchen for six month,s and it really wasn't that bad. When someone says that it depeds on the people you work with, they are right. Most of the people I worked with were pretty nice and worked hard, so the job wasn't so bad. There were a few bad eggs, though.

My current (kinda) job is moving furniture. It pays well and is good exercise, and the scenery always changes. Not all crappy apartments are the same, and moving an entire office was pretty fun.

Weird. 2.gif That company has to have the stupidest policies though, let me tell you. We just got this 'memo' about refills on large drinks for staff members. I guess for getting the discount and stuff, we're not allowed to buy for someone else, we're not allowed to get a refill right after we get the drink, stuff like that. Now most of it is ok until I get to the bottom of the sheet: Failure to proceed with these rules will result in discipline of the cast member, most notably termination of employment.45.gif42.gif47.gif
    So... they'd fire me if I bought a combo with my discount and gave it to someone else. Riiiiiiight.

• Original Poster
  • ok.. so now Im officially unemployed21.gif

I asked around, and my friednd told me his bro has an Internet cafe only without the cafe.
    he saied that he'll do me a favor, so I might start next mounth or so...
    48.gif

till then TV will be my best friend 3.gif

I just very suddenly and unnexpectedly lost my job of three years last week.
    I worked for some really nice people who forced me out in a really nasty way... I still can hardly belive it happened.
    They hired and trained a new guy, without telling me ( I thought he was a friend of the other cook just filling in while he was on vacation, but no one ever mentioned him, and we were kept separate so I never saw him; I just happend to notice the name on the schedule.
    One night, after i had changed and was on my way out the door, one of the owners informed me that my shift for the next day had been cut indefinately, sugessting that a second shift might be cut in the future. The reason given was a lack of work, and that the other cook was cut back as well, but he lives wih his parents and has a second job, while I pay a mortgage and have a wife in school, fifteen hours a week just wont pay the bills!
    She even accnowleged that she wanted to have the new guy trained and ready before telling me he was hired, which tells me I was expected to quit. However, had they been forthwith and given me a bit of warning, I could easily have set up a part time job to supplement my income.
    Whether I quit or not depends on who you talk to; I'm calling it 'Constructive Dismissal', they of course cannot admit to such an act so I'm certain they'd say I quit.
    I belive they've even given me a bad refence already, a restaurateur who, after giving me a second interview, was ready to get me to start as early as last friday as their new head chef just suddenly stopped calling.

So now I'm unemployed at the worst time of the year to look for work. I'm waking up with knots in my stomach from not knowing where my next paycheck is coming from. And of the jobs that are out there, I'm dreadfully overqualified for most. Two Chefs have told me that they can't hire me because it's pretty much a diswasher position and you wouldn't want to work for $10 an hour... the same amount I've been making for the last three years (never a bonus or a raise).

I've got an interview this afternoon, and I think I might know one of the owners, if so I'm a shoo-in.
    And if not, I've got money to float for quite some time, it's just depressing to see your savings shrink instead of grow.

So, good luck to everyone looking for work... keep at it, something will come up soon.
    My only piece of advice is to be honest, hardworking and loyal... practice that in your eveyday life, and it will come through in a job interview. Practice this in your work, and it will help you get your next job

GOOD LUCK!

well, the truth is that in poland it's much easier to find 1,000,000 PLN on the streets than get a job... lol

22.gif

psteverific: Any lawyer will tell you that that is illegal. They let you go without notice, and, I assume without severance. If you know someone who will take your case pro bono or a paralegal who won't charge you an arm and a leg, it is worth at least a nasty letter. This is especially true if they have blackend your reputation in the industry. You might be able to get them for slander (libel if they put it in writing).

You should get at least one month per year of service compensation, but watch out for legal fees. You must not deal with these people directly, but only at arm's length from now on.

Date: 2/24/2006 3:34:57 PM Author: N_O_Body psteverific: Any lawyer will tell you that that is illegal.&nbsp; They let you go without notice, and, I assume without severance.&nbsp; If you know someone who will take your case pro bono or a paralegal who won't charge you an arm and a leg, it is worth at least a nasty letter.&nbsp; This is especially true if they have blackend your reputation in the industry.&nbsp; You might be able to get them for slander (libel if they put it in writing). You should get at least one month per year of service compensation, but watch out for legal fees.&nbsp; You must not deal with these people directly, but only at arm's length from now on.
    quote>
    Yes, it is illegal. But it's only one weeks pay for each year, and I'm just shy of three years. So it would amount to little more than $800, and that's only if the ministry sides in my favour. It's not worth the hassle, so I didn't even ask.
    As far as Libel/Slander (under Canadaian law there is little distinction, they both fall under the catagory of Defemation of Character) it would be pretty tough to prove, I'd basically have to find a restaurateur that they said something to and have them testify to that. But if I did find that someone, that's when the Canadian legal system stars working in my favour. Because it's Professional Defamation, rather than personal, as I understand it the onus is on them to prove that I did not suffer financially.
    But it doesn't even stop there! Because it was strongly sugested that this had something to do with the fact that I didn't want to work on sundays, and because early on I had informed the owner that this was because I go to church (it's the first time in twenty years that I've told an employer about my faith, and as it happens, this is the first time in over two years on simtropolis... guess i'd better pop my head into the 'House of Worship' already), it seems alot like discrimination.

BUT WAIT!
    This is all really hurtful stuff we're talking about. I may feel angry and betrayed, but I'm not out to exact revenge.
    Other than this situation, they've always been pretty good people. Now that i know what they're capable of, my opinions have changed about them, but I don't want to hurt them. plus, they've got two lovely kids, a thirteen year old girl and an eleven year old boy. I certainly don't want them getting hurt over this. I'd never sleep well again knowing that because of me they ended up in community college instead of university.
    No, for me, the best thing is to simply put as much distance between us as I can. Time heals all wounds, as they say.

On a happier note, I had that interview this afternoon, and they're giving me a trial shift tommoro night. Turns out I didn't actually know one of the owners, but I do know two of her cooks, her accountant, two of her former buisness partners, and a few of her personal friends. With so many people in common, it's astonishing we hadn't met!

One of my favorite jobs I had when I was young was working as a hotel front desk clerk. It was clean and well paying and had a lot of responsibility (up to $30,000 in receipts every day). The only tough part was I did the morning check-outs starting at 7 a.m. 23.gif Most hotels probably want college age or older though.

I also had a fun job working in a French cheese shop in downtown Chicago. I learned a lot of French and a lot about gourmet food. 25.gif

As for long-term career jobs, I've never quit without having something to move on to but it was tempting a couple times. 11.gif Mostly evil co-workers or bosses who think young women are only qualified to be secretaries or administrative assistants. My first office job where I wasn't expected to help out answering the phone or opening the mail wasn't until I was 31! 33.gif

EDIT: Wow, you have a great attitude, psteverific! But if these people are so nice, the least they could do is give you a good recommendation, don't you think? 22.gif

One thing i will say is its not too late to go to college, now i knwo here int he Uk college is funded by the government and if your a school leaver you can go for free. I have no doubt that as some members have mentioned themselves being 16-18 get to college and do something. I spent 3 years at college and 5 years at university to get where i am now, its a big commitment and I worked for 5 of those years in a crap job at a local supermarket on checkouts, pay was crap, but it helped me fund my way through university and have a reasonable social life. My pay is still too low to fund my morgage car etc. etc. which is why i am a part time firefighter as the retainer fee and call out payments make me break even and have a little extra to spend on top. (though it is alot of commitment)

some tips....

1. You really need to think what do i want to do? write down a list of jobs you'd like.

2. Research what the job entails, i.e qualifications, what you actually would do, pay bands etc.

3. If you need to get a qualification, look at where you can get it, can you get grants or a scholoship or even an apprenticeship with a company in that field?

4. get the local paper with the jobs in and keep looking.

5. sometimes you have to be in a crap job to keep yourself running while you look for a descent job, thats a fact of life. I went from a checkout worker to an Architect & part time firefighter, I can tell you it wasn't easy.

Now granted this advice is from my own experience, I applied to 35 companies before I got the job I am in now. you need patience, commitment, don't have high expectations. If you have access to a careers advisor, use them, they are more helpful than you think. If a company is not advertising and you think you would like a job, apply anyway (this is called a speculative application) you never know, the first thing they will see is some initiative, which always goes down well, and if there is no opening, they still have your CV (ciricular vitae) on their records and if a job opening appears they may contact you.

any more advice please ask and I will try and assist.

i have a frien, that is now working in the UK in the laundry.. he earns 10 $ /hour ... it's a lot! in poland teachers earn somethin about 400-500-600 USD a month!! now that's (sic)

thanks for saying so, mayormommy, I'm trying to take the high road, but it's hard not to be bitter.

I have to go by there this afternoon to pick up my final paycheck, and hopefuly also a textbook I had lent one of the owners. I had said I was uncomfortable lending it out, but I did so anyways after he assured me he would get it back to me. About three weeks ago, I asked him to bring it back (it had been several months at that point) and he told me he had boxed it up with his other books because they're renovating thier living room. When I asked again on wednesday he told me I'll look for it, but I quite honestly don't remember taking it home.

I'm just amazed at how petty these people turned out to be!

HOWEVER: I've been working at a new place ( http://www.thebuzzz.ca/ ) for a week now, everything is going well, I'll be getting more hours at a higher rate of pay... so much so that my income will almost double.

Plus, within a month or so, all three of their current cooks will have moved on to new things, so I'm going to be the seinor cook straight away.

Now it seems less like I was dissmissed and more like I got a promotion and a raise to go with it!

It's funny how thing can work out, eh?

Well, I'm sure when I'll be near 374 Bank Stree in Ottawa, Ontario - CANADA I'll wisit that restaurant for sure!

Originally posted by: gggg

ok.. so now Im officially unemployed21.gif</P>

<DIV>I asked around, and my friednd told me his bro has an Internet cafe only without the cafe.</DIV>

<DIV>he saied that he'll do me a favor, so I might start next mounth or so...</DIV>

<DIV>till then TV will be my best friend quote>

hey gggg Congrats to you for your new job! And hey Best of luck to whatever you do in your life!