Motiontracker

Just Started- Need help.

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Total noob here, I've created a couple towns, got the basic handle on keeping a small town somewhat sustainable but i feel like im missing out on lots of things, more buildings, different train track/Road curve options etc.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction of some good mods, plugins and where to download and then install them on a mac?

45 minutes ago, Motiontracker said:

Can anyone please point me in the right direction of some good mods, plugins and where to download and then install them on a mac?

There is a Mac forum you should check out.

I found the following two links there.

45 minutes ago, Motiontracker said:

Is there a mode i can play without having to be the mayor and manage the budget?

None that I've ever heard of and I have been playing a long time.

Hiya, @Motiontracker. Welcome to Simtropolis! *:)

First I'll confess I know almost nothing about Macs or playing SC4 on one. I'll answer your second question tho. You can use cheat codes to give yourself bunches of money or the method I personally like is to use the Money Park 10.5.  Now we'll have to wait for one of our Mac experts to pop in to say how you go about installing it. And hopefully they will have answers for your other questions too.

I play on a Mac but am just getting started commenting on the forums. But if you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help if I can.

The best beginner advice I can give you is the following keyboard commands that I wish I had when I started (note the first one might just be for folks w/o Home and End keys):

Fn + left or right arrow - changes the direction the ploppable faces
Control while zoning - zones whatever size you want as a single lot
Alt while zoning - direction of those zones
Shift while zoning - removes auto roads

"Good" mods, plugins, BATs, etc. are somewhat in the eye of the beholder, basic "does it work right?" notwithstanding. (Although if you donate money to Simtropolis they give you a file/DVD full of popular/well created BATs, but it seems like it hasn't been updated in a while. Still, I found some of my favorites on there, and also found some new ones as well.) It depends on what you're looking for and what you want your cities to look like and/or what you want the plugins to accomplish for you. So what do you want? New residential skyscrapers? New tiny little shops (I'm into the MadHatBATs for those)? Beautiful parks? (I love Paeng's parks, esp. the yellow path set. (BTW, there's an addition to that set that isn't mentioned in the initial file. It's great and worth getting too.)) An entire system that completely revamps the transit in the game? (NAM) An entire system that completely revamps agriculture in the game? (SPAM) BATs that make your cities look like Korea? Or Eastern Europe? Or Atlantic Canada? What are you interested in?

Re: money issues, If you don't want to have to rely on "blatant" cheating, like money cheats, or BATs that just dump money on you (like money parks), I've found that if I play my games on Easy mode and use some civic BATs (schools, police stations, fire stations, health clinics/hospitals) that cover more area/cost less monthly (read: are actually better balanced within the game), that having to screw with my budget or watch my money isn't really too much of an issue, as long as I've actually zoned enough (although I've recently gotten some civic BATs that are explicitly made for remote regions, and that's helped too). (Note: this is once I've established a region. First city w/ no neighboring cities is a lot harder, but you can quickly make some other cities around them and it really helps.)

Edited by c4bl3fl4m3  

adding more info, adding links

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mr_Maison
      Hello everyone. This will be my custom content showcase and workshop thread. In all the years I been a member here, I never uploaded any content but enjoying great work by other members. I take this opportunity to say Thank You to all content makers for making our city building experience so enjoyable. I feel that making content is overdue for me and I want to give back to the community. I have some buildings and trees that I will be showing in upcoming updates to this thread. I will also be asking for advice and help.
      6/20/2018 Release: Travelers Palm Link https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416852452&searchtext=

More info on last pages of this thread.

Note: This post was edited 5/29/2015 to reserve this first post for all current updates.

• By VitroOliveira
      CASC launchpad not working...

• By lavon
      Should the folders that needs to be ran through the BSC cLEANITOL be deleted? Once its been check cleanitol puts the files in it own spot,  and how does the cleanitol work? jUST WONDERING IF I AM DOING IT RIGHT. 
    • By tariely
      Yes, I know, this should be in the Mac section, but no, it shouldn't be only in the Mac section. Because a fellow player and I seem to have stumbled upon a rather sneaky difference which affect the game on both platforms.
      We had a discussion way back then about merged.dat. which I used as a dependency for my lots and relots -- it just showed up in DataNode, so I listed it. Then I was advised not to use it and it was apparently right, because not using it didn't cause problems for me, whereas it caused some before.  At the time I had been playing on a Windowsed partition on my Mac. But before that, for many years, I had been playing on a Mac. Which is why I had merged.dat in the first place, because it helped solve problems with some lots while on a Mac.
      And now, a fellow player, playing on a Mac, has problems (CTDs) when using some of my earlier lots without merged.dat.
      Ergo, I though, maybe Mac players must have merged.dat for my lots/relots to be functional for them, Windows players need not to have it.
      I just want to be absolutely sure before re-uploading the lot swith merged.dat and issuing a warning Mac/Windows, so could someone playing on a mac please download my Obelisk Place  and LLB modular version of it as well and plop it (merged.dat is not included anymore, I had taken it out of the deps after the discussion I am refering to above) and see how it goes ? And ditto with merged.dat ?
      I am also posting this on the Mac forum...
    • By tariely
      NB : This is not only  in the Mac section, I also posted it elsewhere because a fellow player and I seem to have stumbled upon a rather sneaky difference which affect the game on both platforms.
      We had a discussion on the forum, way back then, about merged.dat. which I used as a dependency for my lots and relots -- it just showed up in DataNode, so I listed it. Then I was advised not to use it and it was apparently right, because not using it didn't cause problems for me, whereas it caused some when using it.  At the time I had been playing on a Windowsed partition on my Mac. But before that, for many years, I had been playing on a Mac. Which is why I had merged.dat in the first place, because it helped solve problems with some lots while on a Mac.
      And now, a fellow player, playing on a Mac, has problems (CTDs) when using some of my earlier lots without merged.dat.
      Ergo, I thought, maybe Mac players must have merged.dat for my lots/relots to be functional for them, Windows players need not to have it.
      I just want to be absolutely sure before re-uploading the lot swith merged.dat and issuing a warning Mac/Windows, so could someone playing on a mac please download my Obelisk Place  and LLB modular version of it as well and plop it (merged.dat is not included anymore, I had taken it out of the deps after the discussion I am refering to above) and see how it goes ? Then try it with merged.dat. and ditto ?
      To keep the discussion all in one place, please reply here.