VilleEtJeuvideo

[FORM] - Need some help for my reseach paper

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey!

I am currently preparing a research paper, as a French student in political science and urban planning, on the representation of cities in video games.

More specifically, the purpose of this study is to understand how players perceive and picture a city by building it in city builder games, especially SimCity 5 and Cities: Skylines which I will use for this research.

The raw material I need are screenshots from the game depicting your city in either of them; you can send one to ville.et.jeuvideo@gmail.com, preferably when you think your city is “done” (but feel free to add any other screenshots of your city’s intermediate stages!), while specifying which configuration you chose (which map, which game mode – classic or sandbox -, …). If you are going to send several screenshots, please specify in your email which city you are going to mention next.

Thus, if you are considering building a new city on one of these two games or if you are in the process of building or have done building, sending these screenshots will allow me to analyze differences or patterns in the cities built by players for instance.

Moving on, I invite you to respond to a questionnaire (that you can find here : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScsHaBYohZ6jQ4QRvjwaTZ7vhVQNpOHVebfbqFBopSxut46hw/viewform?usp=sf_link), based on the screenshot(s) sent previously so that you take your analysis to the next level. If you’d also be interested in an interview on Skype, or in answering more detailed questions through email, just let me know!

Feel free to add any other information that you might consider relevant, in addition to this form, to my email address (ville.et.jeuvideo@gmail.com). If you want to have some feedback, let me know as well.

Thank you for your time :)

A colleague, that's not what one finds every day... Well, first of all, welcome to the forums! Feel free to roam here and to participate, regardless of the motive of your arrival.

On your research, it sounds very interesting, and I would be glad to know more about your hypothesis (of course, if showing it doesn't affect your sampling method); in particular, what made you to look mainly at SC5 and CSL.

Concerning to the type of cities you want to find, I guess most players won't be very useful, as is really hard to 'finish' a city. Probably your best chance is navigating the City Journals section, where more advanced city builders publish their work in an organised fashion; that way, you can see the progress from project to final state and to have more probability to find the relatively few examples of finalised cities. The problem? Some of those users may not be active anymore, so getting consent for using their work may be harder (but a personal message can help a lot.

Yes I suppose you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has finished a city (unless we're talking about a faithful recreation to a specific point in time); it quite simply goes against the entire point of cities and city builders.

You'd find thousands of examples of people who've given up tho :P

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for your answers!

When I mention "finished" city, I mean considering your city where she's more than three roads and a couple blocks. Of course it's probably never going to be over, as you will want to add, delete, change some parts of it - or the whole city. But that's exactly what I'm looking for: screenshots and comments about how you consider your city at this point. Maybe the word I chose wasn't the best - but eh, I'm French, my bad! It makes more sense in french I guess.

Matias, thank you for your kind words. I'll make sure to roam around whenever I have more time - which is not for the next 2 weeks obviously.

I considered using videos or "journals" about city building and game experience - but I think there is a bias in the way that this is purposely written or recorded to be read. It's not as raw as I would like it to be. Also, there is this consent/"copyright" issue that could be quite a big deal in the end so... a form seemed more suited for my research!

Yes, you are right about the city journals, but maybe the so called 'show us' threads could be more useful then, as most of us post on-the-fly screenshots instead of heavily curated content there. Definitely it is not like watching the cities at any given moment, but is pretty close (and as most of them are accompanied of explicative text, you can filter the more 'spontaneous' ones from the rest.

In any case, I'm answering this to make your thread more visible, betting on the chances somebody comes to contact you here.

I'm not sure if my own cities would be useful, as they are done in SC4 and currently are far away from complete, but if you find anything useful on my old posts, feel free to use it with the due reference, or even to create derivative works from it.

• Original Poster
  • Show us threads? What are these? I'm very new to this forum so I'm still a bit confused. I've tried to look around some discussions but they were mostly questions on the games or tips to improve your playing.

Thanks for your help anyway - I already have some answers on my french form so it's alright as I don't need hundreds of them. If I was preparing a PhD, it might have been useful - I already had some pretty clear idea on how to analyze different screenshots, shot from the same perspective, to highlight some patterns and design some "common" city that player would reproduce. But well, I now have 2 weeks to finish writing it so I'll just go faster and provide some in-depth analysis from those contributions. It will be fine too. 

Sadly, I won't be able to use screenshots (or journals or other text ressources) from other games. I wanted to, at the beginning, but gladly I was told not to and I can see now that it would have taken another 6 months of work at least.

3 hours ago, VilleEtJeuvideo said:

I wanted to, at the beginning, but gladly I was told not to and I can see now that it would have taken another 6 months of work at least.

I need that focus and task-oriented approach. Instead, I've had fatten my thesis with more data and models and now I barely manage to make progress on it >.<

By the way, the show us threads for cities skylines:

http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/forum/275-cities-skylines-showcase/

• Original Poster
  • Ah, thanks! That does seem quite interesting.

About the focus... Well, I actually lack concentration as I now need to write the entire paper in 10 days. But that's fine, for me - I've had 20p long papers to write in a night for the past two years so...