Sign in to follow this  
Vayatir

Modern Overhanging Station Problem

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

I am pretty new to Sim City 4 (or Sim City in general, really) and have been experimenting with various mods and such. I have an encountered an issue whilst trying to use Xyloxadoria's Modern Overhanging Monorail Station included in the NAM. I follow the instructions included in the manual carefully, but when the time comes to reconnect the broken overpass, the game doesn't let me. I get an 'unsuitable area for construction message' if I try to drag the Monorail only within the station area, and an 'unsuitable grade for construction' message if I try to drag it through the station and the line beyond. The area is as far as I can tell, perfectly straight. 

I am allowed to drag the monorail through the station if I do not use the 'Other SIde' tile, but this creates a bug of the game not recognising it as a monorail station and I get a 'WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE STATION IN THIS CITY' message from the Transport Adviser. Not to mention, it also creates another annoying glitch where the trains will stop outside of the station to drop off passengers instead of inside of it.

Any help appreciated! I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, I only had a quick look and this seemed the most suitable. 

Also, could you please post one or more pictures of your setup?  This station should work fine; it has been thoroughly tested.

• Original Poster
  • My apologies for not checking this thread (and also causing the mods trouble by having to move it) sooner, I've had a busy week. 

I'm not too sure what you mean by setup? Forgive me, as I mentioned, I'm very new to this stuff (I've been playing for a month tops)!

Anyway, I should report that somehow the problem resolved itself? Whilst trying to recreate it through a series of screenshots, it allowed me to drag the monorail through the station (including through the overhang) with no issues. 

However, I will report that it creates a very annoying visual glitch:

Station4_zps475acb8c.png

The lower train is stopped on the overhang. The other side is the 1x1 panel that makes up the core of the station. Trains that come through first stop at one and then the other; meaning that they stop twice at the same station. This is quite annoying as you can imagine, because not only does it create extra queues of monorail trains, it also looks very awkward for the train to stop at the near end of the platform. I should mention this occurs no matter which way the train is coming from. 

The lower train is stopped on the overhang. The other side is the 1x1 panel that makes up the core of the station. Trains that come through first stop at one and then the other; meaning that they stop twice at the same station. This is quite annoying as you can imagine, because not only does it create extra queues of monorail trains, it also looks very awkward for the train to stop at the near end of the platform. I should mention this occurs no matter which way the train is coming from. 

This is caused by the fact that all of Xyloxadoria's Overhanging Stations are implemented as two separate stations joined by a single model.  This is necessary if the station crosses a network and is to be able to be accessed from either side of the crossed network.  Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the trains not to stop at one side or the other.

• Original Poster
  • I see, thank you for your answer. 

This is kind of unrelated, but I thought it better to ask here rather than make another topic. I've recently started a new city using rail (as in - ordinary ground rail) as the basic network. Unlike my experience with Monorail and Elevated Rail - the trains I have on my line don't stop on any of the stations between the two terminus. They start at one end and then run all the way to the other end of the network. This seems odd to me, as I'm sure this hasn't happened in my previous (albeit limited) experiences with rail. The stations on the way are in use - both with passengers passing through and those who alight. Could anybody shed some light on this, or would it be better to make another topic elsewhere?

It could be a bug with Automata. Do you:

1. Have at least NAM 30?

2. Use default Maxis stations?

The answers should 1. Yes and 2. No. Trains are not required to stop if they do not PASS THROUGH the lot, and Maxis stations do not cover the rail, only the tiles next door. Use a transit enabled (train line runs directly through) lot.

If this bug still occurs, destroy the rail line and rebuild it, but first rid yourself of the Maxis stations.

It could be a bug with Automata. Do you:

1. Have at least NAM 30?

2. Use default Maxis stations?

The answers should 1. Yes and 2. No.

Actually, the answers should be no and yes. 1, NAM Version 31 and up fixes all of the Maxis stations, so there's need to dump them out or replace them with other re-lots. 2, the station in question is part of the NAM and it actually makes question 2 irrelevant.