Sign in to follow this  
TMTS

3 problems: Generating Traffic, maxis night lights and city crashing

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello. Before I ask the questions, I need to do a fast myself presentation. I am a guy who used to be experienced, but stopped to play Sim City about 5 years ago. This year I decided to come back. However, I had 3 troubles during my way back, and here they are (from weakest problems to stronger problems):

1) Night lighting: My Sim City is updated, and have the lights patch. Most of BATs lights do work. The problem is that some buildings are not showing its lights. If they were BATs its ok, could be BATS with no nightlights. But that do not happen: Some Maxis buildings deny to show their lights. Some of them say that they are running out of power, but they are neighbor of a powered building. And the power station is completely ok, not working at full capacity. What can I do to make the building accept the power?

2) Generating Traffic: I do some cities by just ploping. My traffic doesn't appear naturally, I have to force it. Several years ago, I used the traffic plazas, which were plazas that generated traffic. However, today, I dismiss the plazas because they are making my cities look ugly. However, I pay the price: I couldn't find any way to create traffic. Is there anything around the STEX that can create traffic without using parks?? I tried to generate traffic by zoning around the area but that didn´t worked fine.

3) Crashing cities: About 5 years ago, I´ve downloaded my last plugins folder. Instead of downloading it slowly, I´ve downloaded it all in a row. I divided it into building styles - for example, "Dutch" is a paste for dutch style. That made a lot practical because I didn't need to use my plugins folder fully to do a city - I just needed a part of it. I don´t need London-style buildings to create a village. So, I just had the essential pastes and no more than that.

That should be ok, but not. A heavy problem appeared. When I came back, I started my first city. At about 75% of the work done, it just crashed. Than, I restored some backups, but it didn´t matter what I do (except if I do nothing), the city always did came to a crash statement. I decided to have another shot, but the same happened. Looking around the web, I discovered that I had a building incompatibility problem: If I plop two buildings which aren't compatible with other, they just crash the whole city. Since I got dozens of buildings, it would require hundreds of trials to discover which combination of buildings are crashing the citys. And worse than that: Even if I get one combination, another one could exist. And maybe even more. So, do someone have a way to detect incompatible buildings?? Is there any possible way to detect them?? I already tried the technique (forget the name, so here it is a short description): Divide my plugins folder into two parts, find the part which doesn´t open the city, then divide the non-working part into two parts again, find the broken part of the two parts again, and continue until find the broken plugin. When I tried this, I became with two parts which could not open the city. Tried tree, four parts and none of them could open the city.

PS: I dont let any brown box appear into my city. I always destroy one when it comes.

Welcome to the Conversation.

I will attempt to give you some clues as to your problems but we really don't have enough information to be able to say anything positively about your problems.  We need a description of your computer.  We also need the first 20 lines only of one of your exception reports.  These data could point us to some general problems you may have.

Now:

1. I don't think there is any guarantee that Maxis buildings have night lights.

2. Plopped residential does not work.  Period!  This is something that just is not in the program.

3. A modern machine will crash under several circumstances.  First of all, the game is single threaded and therefore you need to restrict the operating system.  This can be done by adding the command line option

-CPUcount:1 to the target in your launch short cut.  Be sure to type one space after the closing quote of the pathname.

Next, modern graphics cards didn't exist when this game was programmed.  Set all your 3D options to "application selected" or equivalent wording in your GPU control panel.

Shotgunning custom content is a kind of game suicide.  Adds should be tested in a sandbox before being considered permanent.  If you get brown boxes at all, you should identify the lot and get the missing dependencies.

Because of some stability problems with fast machines, do an internal save (CTRL+s) at least every 15 minutes or when you've done something intricate you don't want to lose.

Beyond that, we await your replay to our questions.

To be honest, I can't help you in all of these cases, but I will do my best.

1: Whether the building next to it is powered or not, if you place it just slightly too far away, then it will NOT get even just a bit electric. If they get electricity, probably, they are either abandoned/occupied by very few sims/occupied by sims with lower wealth. Abandoned/degraded buildings will not lit up at night. AFAIK, those are the main factors why a building is not lit up at night when you have all the patches. However, there is no guarantee that even a maxis building must has a nightlight.

2: About this thing, I have seen an invisible train traffic generator (sidewalks will be still produced when you plop it, however), but I'm still yet to see one for cars.

3: Downloading a lot of plugins at once without looking at the dependencies and developer notes is simply a big mistake. I suggest you to do the following:

A. Check the readme of all files that you have downloaded. If you can't find it, you may have to search for the download page again and read the descriptions carefully.

B. Incompatible BATs is very rare, with the only exception is that you have two exactly same files that you downloaded from different sites and the other one simply become a duplicate to the other one, which probably causing some incompatibilities. My biggest concern, however, is that you have some incompatible mods, which is very likely to cause your game to crashed. If you have tried and failed to detect it by using the Binary Search method, BSC Cleanitol (download(registration required)) (tutorials) might be able done the job for you.

C. If you simply destroy all the brown boxes but won't search for their cause, you just do another big mistake. As I said in A, check the readmes and dependencies of the files that you downloaded.

That's all that I can do for now, I hope this helps.

1. Best way to find if building, whether it's Maxis or not, has nightlights is to switch from Day-Night Cycle to Night - from my experience in normal cycle, buildings switch on/off their lights at seemingly random(?) hours (most are in On state at 0:00). Night mode "forces" every building to show nightlights as long as they have them in first place and are powered up.

2. Again from my experience, animation of traffic starts to show when nearby zones start to have commuters, if you plop everything instead of zoning (ofc we talk about COM/IND/RES zones, not parks and such) then game do not recognize it as proper zoned object so no traffic at all. Same goes for any network stations, vehicles starts to show only when there is usage. Exceptions: civic buildings like police, fire station etc.

• Original Poster
  • First of all, thank you all for your help and support.

Second, sorry for some english mistakes. When i said "paste" in my last post, I was trying to say "folder".

Third, maybe I didnt explained well one thing. My main problem is not a game that crashes every time I get on it. It is crashing on some cities, after hours of work. The city becomes corrupted after I save it. For example, it was all fine one day, I save and quit. Them, when I came back, the city just crashed. This is what is happening to every city I started to build for eyecandy purposes.

We need a description of your computer.  We also need the first 20 lines only of one of your exception reports.

Where I can get an exception report?? I remember saw something about it on the Maxis folder..Its somewhere there, right?

Now:

1. I don't think there is any guarantee that Maxis buildings have night lights.

2. Plopped residential does not work.  Period!  This is something that just is not in the program.

3. A modern machine will crash under several circumstances.  First of all, the game is single threaded and therefore you need to restrict the operating system.  This can be done by adding the command line option

-CPUcount:1 to the target in your launch short cut.  Be sure to type one space after the closing quote of the pathname.

1. Ok. That should explain... But even the high density ones? I also remember that there was a maxis building that I already saw the lights.

2. Yes, I know that. I know that plops doesn't make traffic. I need a traffic generator actually. Something that makes traffic, but doesn´t show up on the city.

3. I already do that. Im aware about the CPU problem. But I took this solution in a different way: I open the game and then disable 3 CPUs (of 4) for the Simcity.exe application.

Next, modern graphics cards didn't exist when this game was programmed.  Set all your 3D options to "application selected" or equivalent wording in your GPU control panel.

Shotgunning custom content is a kind of game suicide.  Adds should be tested in a sandbox before being considered permanent.  If you get brown boxes at all, you should identify the lot and get the missing dependencies.

Because of some stability problems with fast machines, do an internal save (CTRL+s) at least every 15 minutes or when you've done something intricate you don't want to lose.

Beyond that, we await your replay to our questions.

I didnt knew about the problems linked with downloading all the stuff in one go. It was the first (and maybe the last) time I done that. I did get most dependencies, but some buildings denied to work even with dependencies installed. My choose was to ignore them.

To be honest, I can't help you in all of these cases, but I will do my best.

1: Whether the building next to it is powered or not, if you place it just slightly too far away, then it will NOT get even just a bit electric. If they get electricity, probably, they are either abandoned/occupied by very few sims/occupied by sims with lower wealth. Abandoned/degraded buildings will not lit up at night. AFAIK, those are the main factors why a building is not lit up at night when you have all the patches. However, there is no guarantee that even a maxis building must has a nightlight.

Cool, but I dont get what should I do about it. Is there any real solution to this?

2: About this thing, I have seen an invisible train traffic generator (sidewalks will be still produced when you plop it, however), but I'm still yet to see one for cars.

I think I saw one thing about it. Its a thing that you plop on the road/street and it do the job. Im asking because I have no ideia how to find it. STEX is too big for a manual search.

3: Downloading a lot of plugins at once without looking at the dependencies and developer notes is simply a big mistake. I suggest you to do the following:

A. Check the readme of all files that you have downloaded. If you can't find it, you may have to search for the download page again and read the descriptions carefully.

B. Incompatible BATs is very rare, with the only exception is that you have two exactly same files that you downloaded from different sites and the other one simply become a duplicate to the other one, which probably causing some incompatibilities. My biggest concern, however, is that you have some incompatible mods, which is very likely to cause your game to crashed. If you have tried and failed to detect it by using the Binary Search method, BSC Cleanitol (download(registration required)) (tutorials) might be able done the job for you.

C. If you simply destroy all the brown boxes but won't search for their cause, you just do another big mistake. As I said in A, check the readmes and dependencies of the files that you downloaded.

I looked at the dependencies. Years ago. Used BSC Cleanitol. Fixed the ones which the fix works. Some of them denied to work even with the dependencies installed and some others I could not find the dependencies (missing links). I didnt knew that I was going to have trouble to download all my plugin folder in one go, with no testing at all. I used to have other 2 plugins folders (I lost them and now just got this one...Years ago I never imagined that I would come back to SC4. I was very tired of the game...).

At this weekend, Im going to try cleanitol again. The readmes were deleted already, I think that cleanitol did the work to delete them. Find all readmes of everything I downloaded is not valuable for me. I got about 11 GB size on my plugins folder, never expected big trouble because the others plugins folders never had one. Imagine the time that I would took to find and read every readme from every stuff I did download. A lot bigger than a minute, maybe thousands of minutes. I dont think would worth to take all this effort on the readmes.

That's all that I can do for now, I hope this helps.

Thank you!

1. Best way to find if building, whether it's Maxis or not, has nightlights is to switch from Day-Night Cycle to Night - from my experience in normal cycle, buildings switch on/off their lights at seemingly random(?) hours (most are in On state at 0:00). Night mode "forces" every building to show nightlights as long as they have them in first place and are powered up.

Nice shot. But I already tried that. It doesn´t work.

2. Again from my experience, animation of traffic starts to show when nearby zones start to have commuters, if you plop everything instead of zoning (ofc we talk about COM/IND/RES zones, not parks and such) then game do not recognize it as proper zoned object so no traffic at all. Same goes for any network stations, vehicles starts to show only when there is usage. Exceptions: civic buildings like police, fire station etc.

Yes, I know. My question is about generating traffic for ploped cities, sorry if I did a bad explain.

Where I can get an exception report?? I remember saw something about it on the Maxis folder..Its somewhere there, right?

They are stored at "\Documents\SimCity 4", inside a sub-folder named "Exception Reports". Note that reports are only created each time the game crashes.

Look for the most recent text file named something like: SimCity Exception Report 2013.09.09.txt

If you don't have any, place this small DAT file in your plugins, and load any new city. This will cause a crash-to-desktop and create one.

Take some time and survey where files have been installed and what the structure is.  I like to know where installers put things in my system, and you should too.  Also have a look at what got added to your registry.  I never blindly run an application without knowing what space it is taking up even though I have a great deal of free disk space.

• Original Poster
  • I´m back.

Today I ran Cleanitol. It did cleaned up a little bit and, for my surprise, it just pointed 2 missing dependencies. I download them.

I had a look at my exception report folder. I don´t have any idea of what to do with that data, so I´ve uploaded some exception reports here:

(attached ZIP)

I also put my SC4 to load one of the two broken cities to get a new exception report after putting the 2 dependencies. Of course, it did crash again and generate a new report, which I had included.

I tried to search again on my own on STEX and I found the solution for traffic. I found 4 options (selected 2) that make traffic ploping right on the road,one-way-road or avenue. I saw nothing to fix the problem on highways, but at least on roads and avenues I´m ok with the traffic.

ExceptionReports.zip

Well, this is all anyone ever needs of an Exception Report.  The rest is gibberish.

Exception time: 09/14/2013, at 15:25:26.

Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
    Current thread ID: 6528 (0x00001980).
    Version information:
    Application/module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe
    Application/module version name: SimCity 4
    Application/module version: 1.1.640.0
    System version: Windows NT 6.1
    System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 2600 Megabytes free.

Exception module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe.
    Exception address: 0x005d4dcc. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x001cddcc.

Registers
    EAX: 00000000
    EBX: 23818500
    ECX: 00000000
    EDX: 00acebc8
    ESI: 1f30ae54
    EDI: 23815994
    CS:EIP: 0023:005d4dcc
    SS:ESP: 002b:0018f9ec EBP:00000000
    DS:002b ES:002b FS:0053 GS:002b
    Flags: 002102

It shows you have loaded the game from CD and have updated it fully.

You are running Windows 7.

You have lots of memory.

You have had a normal crash when the program attempted to dereference a zero pointer.

Since no one has a load map and a set of debug symbols for the game, the rest is garbage.

Traffic may be there whether you see any or not.  Always try the route query operator (ALT+/) to see if a piece of the network is active.  The stuff on the screen is eye candy without this.

• Original Poster
  • "You have had a normal crash when the program attempted to dereference a zero pointer."

I don´t get it, what it is exactly a normal crash?? What "dereference a zero pointer" means?? Is there anything we could do about it (to not crash)??

Thanks again!

No.  It seems to be a bug in the .exe.  Best is to use the internal save (CTRL+s) frequently.  I play for hours using this ploy.  CTDs are endemic, and the internal save seems to garbage collect so that they don't happen.

• Original Poster
  • That´s a bit strange because it happens to one city only.

Today I tested some recent "fake cities" I made, and everyone of them are opening. However, the, let´s say, corrupted city, keeps crashing.

Keep saving won´t work because of this: have a problem. The two corrupted cities never crashed when I was at them. Then, suddenly, in one day to another, crashed while loading.

Sounds like corrupted saves.  This can happen if you switch away from the game if a save is running and hasn't completed.  The program is very sensitive to losing focus.

If that's what has happened your only good chance of recovery is to use the file system's journaling capability if you had it turned on.  Find the bad file in windows explorer and right click it.  See if you have an option to use an older version of the file.

• Original Poster
  •  A heavy problem appeared. When I came back, I started my first city. At about 75% of the work done, it just crashed. Than, I restored some backups, but it didn´t matter what I do (except if I do nothing), the city always did came to a crash statement. I decided to have another shot, but the same happened.

I got so angry when the first city came that I deleted it and all it´s backups. And I got angry on the second and deleted the backups, but kept the city. As I said, it doesn´t matter what I did, it just went to a crash statement, unless I do absolutely nothing. The strongest theory is that one of the buildings I plop is making that.

Im thinking to risk and try again, get the crash for sure, but with a backup program. A program that backups everything, so I have my own old versions. But at this time I will expect it to crash, and I will not get angry (because its what I expected). When it crash, I will restore the old version, plop again and take pictures of the buildings I recently popled. So, when the games crashes, I will have building list, and then, with a bit patience, I will plop one-by-one to see which one or which combination generates crashing. That could work, right?

I saw some pretty CJ´s out there, the best CJs are even better than they was, and that make me motivated to play SC4 and have patience with its troubles.

A controlled approach is always best when tracking down a bug.  Once you find the conflict you have the choice of eliminating the lot or fixing it if possible.

And there is no point in being upset at any time.  Keep lots of saves and pay attention to what you are doing.  Take a clinical attitude until you solve your problem.

Are you sure your system is "clean"? 

I strongly suggest turning off the Windows Indexing Service if you have it running.  It has been reported to interfere with saves.

• Original Poster
  • Not so sure. I dont have any idea what it is "Windows Indexing Service ".

Yes, what I plan to do now is to take a clinical attitude on the next city and be patient. Wait the bug come, and, when it comes, try to figure out which building or combination of buildings is causing it.

The windows indexing service is one of those default daemons that are "supposed" to make your windows experience better and more painless.  Unfortunately it has been shown, in a few cases, to interfere with save operations in SC4.  You can turn it off by entering administrative mode (or safe mode for that matter) and finding the services system.  You can then locate the line for the indexer and set it off.  A reboot after that will turn it off.