Samerton

Samerton's Retextures - Development and Support

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

Of course the idea is a lot better than the concrete walls, but it looks off somehow. Like the shoulders are wider than the normal lanes and maybe too grey. So are there any plans in that aspect?

• Original Poster
  • Of course the idea is a lot better than the concrete walls, but it looks off somehow. Like the shoulders are wider than the normal lanes and maybe too grey. So are there any plans in that aspect?

Version 0.4 has totally different textures than previous versions, I've uploaded a screenshot of the latest version which will be released shortly :)

The widths of the lanes won't be changed as that would require the paths being changed too, it'd be too much work. Maybe in the future the shoulders could be made a bit narrower.

• Original Poster
  • If i use this do i have to demolish and re-do my highways?, or will it just complete the changes without me having to demolish my existing highways?.

It will change your existing Maxis Highways automatically :)

Can you re-add the center concrete median? It seems highly unrealistic, and dangerous, to let traffic travel less than a few feet from each other going the opposite direction without a divider.

I appear to be having a slight problem with this, on all the raised pieces (the overpasses ect) the parts flat on the ground change as they are supposed to however the raised parts such as the parts going over roads ect,

still show up grey ect as the maxis highways.

• Original Poster
  • I appear to be having a slight problem with this, on all the raised pieces (the overpasses ect) the parts flat on the ground change as they are supposed to however the raised parts such as the parts going over roads ect,

still show up grey ect as the maxis highways.

Apologies for the late reply, this is due to the plugin not being installed in a subfolder of Plugins, eg Plugins/zzz_Highway_Restyling_Mod/file.dat. Make sure it loads last to avoid conflict with any other highway retexture mods.

mmm the current path is pluging/zz_HRS_America/file.dat (with the dat file inside zz_HRS_America) is that ok?.

When i put this in my plugins folder i just dragged the folder zz_HRS_America folder over to plugins a just dumped it into plugins.

• Original Poster
  • mmm the current path is pluging/zz_HRS_America/file.dat (with the dat file inside zz_HRS_America) is that ok?.

When i put this in my plugins folder i just dragged the folder zz_HRS_America folder over to plugins a just dumped it into plugins.

Strange, that should work fine. Try adding a few more "z"s to the folder name, so it'll look something like "zzzzz_HRS_America"

Well i tried adding more zzz to the file still no go, then tried putting in more _  total bust....however i tried putting the folder inside z__NAM folder as Indiana Joe suggested aaannd (drum roll please) IT WORKED! :party: .

I now have fully changed maxis highways! :) , thank you Samerton and Indiana! your help has been much appreciated, again i can't thank you two enough.

Xander Dax

• Original Poster
  • The NAM has a folder called z___NAM.  The underscores load after z's, so you need to put it inside the z___NAM folder.  (Or create a new folder with even more underscores if you want.)

Ah, thanks. I hadn't thought of that for some reason :P I'll update the file description and the OP to make this point clear.

No problem, Xander Dax, I'm glad it's all working for you now.

Hi Samerton,

What process do you use to edit the textures for the MHW and MHO / PS? I notice that these appear to be full 3D models with textures attached; is editing each model in an editor like 3dsMax/Blender necessary to change the textures, or is there a simpler way to automate this process?

These pieces are a model-based network, but like most NAM pieces, those models reference ordinary transit textures, which can easily be overridden. In the case of this mod, to avoid overriding the regular Elevated RHW networks, a copy of each S3D model was required, and a new texture ID included. That way, the textures for MHO are now unique.

So if you linked back to this mod for the models, you could simply create a texture override for it, that loaded later. Then you are looking at re-making I think less than 50 textures. One of the nice things about this network, a lot of the pieces bend the base texture for curves etc., so you don't need a huge number of textures.

With those textures changed, you'll only be missing the tunnel model. Well, we have it, so you can render one with your updated textures, I helped Samerton with this. If you get that far, I'll render one for your mod too. Thanks to @MandelSoft who kindly gave us the modelling files to make that possible.

• Original Poster
  • On 11/20/2016 at 9:15 PM, APSMS said:

Hi Samerton,

What process do you use to edit the textures for the MHW and MHO / PS? I notice that these appear to be full 3D models with textures attached; is editing each model in an editor like 3dsMax/Blender necessary to change the textures, or is there a simpler way to automate this process?

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply, for some reason I wasn't set to receive notifications for topic replies.

As @rsc204 says, the textures for PS refer to the same IIDs as the elevated RHW networks, so if you're looking to override just the PS network then the models need altering.

This is possible through iLive's Reader, as the texture IIDs referred to by the S3D model can simply be updated (image), or alternatively you'd be able to simply update the textures included within the concrete retexture mod, as the models have already been updated.

The Maxis Highway network itself is much simpler, as just the textures need updating.

Hope that helps :)

Ah, I see.

The idea was to replicate the texture, but with an asphalt shoulder (like in my brief review of the file on the STEX) and then look into copying the texture for Elevated RHW (if possible). All the freeways that are concrete near me have asphalt shoulders, even the elevated ones with the exception of bridges and overpasses.

I actually have no idea how to work with texture override mods; I did a very amateurish attempt a long time ago, but it never worked, and to be fair the texture wasn't actually a serious attempt, just a concept to see if I could figure the whole deal out.

About 50 textures for MHW is pretty few, though I guess part of that depends on what kind of textures they are. Ironically my idea for a concrete RHW mod excluded the RHW-4 since these are the only types of freeways near me that tend to remain asphalt more often then not :P. Beggars can't be choosers.

how <censored> do you uninstall this mod? that z concrete mho <censored> is not there. in my plugins folder.

Mod Edit:

Please refrain from using such colourful language here. For one thing it comes across as downright disrespectful when asking for help, to use such a tone.

Have you actually installed the Maxis Highway Override from the NAM? Without that, this mod simply won't do anything.

In any case, removing a mod is simple, find the files and remove them from your plugins folder.