Sign in to follow this  
boddole

Sim Commuting Question/Problem (with NAM)

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone, I've got a problem: I've built a residential city, then a industrial city with the appropriate jobs, but no one is willing to go there. In fact, none of them are.....more details below:

City flow:  Res City A (has a few Cs$ jobs) <-> Res city with stupid commuters <-> empty zone functioning as a glorified road <-> Industrial City

Are commuters not willing to travel more than 1 zone for work? (even if the empty zone only has about 4 road tiles to connect the Res city and the Industry City?). I tried simply severing the road connection to City A, then I let the simulation run for a year or so, and the entire Res city was abandoned. For that matter...who is working in the industrial city if no one is commuting there? Ghosts?

Put a truck stop in the empty city somewhere along the connecting road.  The game is seeing a 'no jobs' situation on the link to the empty quarter.  Jobs can only be seen in adjacent cities.

Put a truck stop in the empty city somewhere along the connecting road.  The game is seeing a 'no jobs' situation on the link to the empty quarter.  Jobs can only be seen in adjacent cities.

Is that a way of saying "no, the Sims won't travel through an undeveloped city tile, even if the road connects to the next adjacent tile with plenty of available work? The "empty" city has to have some kind of available "job" in order for Sims to then cross the boarder?

Guess in other words, there is no way for city A and/or B to know there are jobs in D if there isn't any development in C (other than the connecting road)? 

I'm asking cause I've kind of wondered the same but haven't asked yet. Now seems appropriate.

Another question arises from your advice Nonny. What if the truck stop only has a few jobs available, would that still allow the 100s of Sims looking for work to then know there is more available jobs in the next adjacent city "D". Like saying there has to be at least one job available in the "empty" city for Sims to actually look over the boarders?

• Original Poster
  •  

For that matter...who is working in the industrial city if no one is commuting there? Ghosts?

Robots.

An army of self aware machines with hearts as black as coal? Belching smoke miles into the air as they construct their army of unyeilding, hate filled iron monsters hell bent on destroying those who left them in this god forsaken place?

-I ask because its a dirty industry zone, aka "China 5"

-Also is a "truck stop" a standard assets in NAM? I looked though mine and did not see it.

-Also is a "truck stop" a standard assets in NAM? I looked though mine and did not see it.

No.  The NAM has a limited number of mass transit stations included with it.  Everything else you need to find on the exchanges, such as the STEX.

As far as I know, there is no truck stop.  You have to be creative.  Put a parking lot (SAM texture 1) beside a commercial single occupancy lot, for example.  Heck, you can even build a small town if you are that way inclined.  You need power, so you probably need enough low density R to make it break even at least.

I use an organic method of building.  Each little town is justified by something internal or external to it.  Seacoast towns are often kicked off by a fishery (there are lots on Pegasus for this, among others).  Sometimes a farming community that grows up into a city.  Just follow the logical path.

You need to run this town once in a while to update the edge data.

• Original Poster
  • @ Mr. Moose: Yeah, threw some industry squares in, sims drove over there, found the real jobs, everything works now - thanks.

• Original Poster
  • Are you getting through commuters to other jobs?

Yes, if I understand what you mean [People in Res A go to Empty B (with the dummy jobs) and then go to Ind C (where the real jobs are)]. With that my region is working nicely....and is actually creating another problem, but I'm still trying to work through it before I hog more board space.