Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Winston-Salem, NC School Shooting.

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

This is getting to be fashionable?

Not a general shooting, but apparently a targeted victim.  Injury not fatal.

It shouldn't be possible for an intruder to walk into a school with a gun.  If this means some construction, let the gun-lovers pay for it.

Something that doesn't get mentioned is that schools are impossible to secure unless you are willing to turn them into prisons. Unless you are willing to send your kids to a prison, you have to accept the possibility that a shooting may happen.

• Original Poster
  • Arming teachers is maybe a worthwhile measure but it involves expense and delay while they get trained and certified.  If somebody told me it was my job to defend the establishment, I'd want danger pay.  Teaching is hazardous enough.

If you arm the teachers, what about the rest of the staff?

Arming teachers is just waiting for a teacher to go nuts and go on a shooting rampage. 

Not to mention the fact that accidents with guns happen pretty often. Its just a matter of time before someone gets sloppy, the gun accidentally goes off and kills someone. 

Give teachers guns. Simple.

...Or you could simply hire security guards and let them stand at the entrance/exits. It works in schools/shops/buildings/malls in other countries. 

What other countries have armed guards guarding schools?

Many universities and some selected schools in the United States

some schools in Scotland (possibly after the Dunblane Massacre)

Philippines 

Indonesia (???) <-- someone confirm

South Africa (???) <-- I don't know if there are security guards in the schools but there are armed guards in many shops

.. I have seen photos of security guards in schools in other countries but I cannot identify them. 

(What is the world coming to)

Bottom line, I believe, is that either you make it look like a prison with security that high, or the other thing, may be a bit extreme, but gun bans. Possibly, the way to stop idiots with guns is to take them away.

"We're not going to wait for the next Aurora or Sandy Hook. We're going to make a decision - Barack Obama"