Sign in to follow this  
eoin247

Problems designating wealth areas.

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

HI there

I created a new region a few months back with the intention of making big class divides and having poor people in say one half of a city and rich in another edge, or even  in another city tile altogether.

It worked out well enough for me at first, but then as my city grew i started to have problems. High wealth building sometimes sprout up in poor areas (areas near coal plants and without parks) and low wealth replacing high wealth buildings (lots of parks and services).

Any ideas how i can make better wealth divides? Perhaps i need to do something with my transport/services?

Many thanks

There are many technical ways to create neighborhoods like you want but the simplest way is using the "make historical" feature. This will hinder the buildings ability to upgrade/change to a different wealth levels.

There are many technical ways to create neighborhoods like you want but the simplest way is using the "make historical" feature. This will hinder the buildings ability to upgrade/change to a different wealth levels.

I haven't heard of that trick... is there something to upload for the 'historical' feature?

To mark a building as historical, select a lot using the query tool (question mark icon) on the bottom left. Then check the box in the query window.

I think infamousjbe is describing the building style control, which allows specific tilesets to grow. This could be used with the mark historical feature, to preserve a group of buildings. For example, you could grow and contain apartment blocks of a similar wealth type. Just be careful though, as limiting development will restrict progression of your city. It's always best to leave the CBD subject to natural growth (unless certain buildings wish to be preserved).

Another way is to adjust your taxes, which controls demand by wealth & developer type. For example, setting high tax for ID industry would discourse them from building.

In real life cities, there are quite often urban districts or wards. All have varying wealth and building styles. So using these methods can attempt to re-create a similar effect in the game.

I think infamousjbe is describing the building style control, which allows specific tilesets to grow. This could be used with the mark historical feature, to preserve a group of buildings. For example, you could grow and contain apartment blocks of a similar wealth type. Just be careful though, as limiting development will restrict progression of your city. It's always best to leave the CBD subject to natural growth (unless certain buildings wish to be preserved).

Think I need to stay away from ST when I'm not sober.. lol.      I was SO FAR off the mark it wasn't funny, well.... kinda. At least the link I posted would have got the OP to where they needed.  ;)   

If you want to designate neighborhoods depending on wealth,  you can do so this way...

1) Have an organized custom content folder

2) Look for the residential house you would like to zone based on your city's demand......

You CANT grow a stage 3 Res if your city only warrants a stage 2.   You CANT grow a high wealth residential if your city does not have demand for high wealth(look at the RCII).  Always combine these two rules when zoning and looking for a residential to place in game.  You may need the lot editor to know the exact growth stage of the res.

3) Place it in your plugins folder

3) Use Remove maxis building mod

3) Zone your house - If house grows and it is not the one you like, just bulldoze and wait for it to grow again.  May take a few funds out the city budget before you get what your want.

4) Mark historical when you get the house you like

5) Repeat

I have been working on a town that is completely plopped;  except for residentials...  I just customize the residential I want to use and grow them in the game based on the game's demand.  This takes patience and research because residentials are NOT ploppable.  But using this technique should get you started with a uniform wealth neighborhood.

Boy, that sounds like a lot of work.  I think you must be working on a CJ to go to all that trouble.  Do you ever take the time to play?

i'm having a big issue with this too. I think dirty industry and number of hills/ greenspace/ density may have something to do with it. This is within one tile. It's easy to send a whole tile ghetto you just cut all the services, burn buildings etc. But little neighbourhoods within a tile is problematic for me as well. I have a huge low income demand so in some of my suburban areas i'm trying to zone grid or medium wealth  for low income but they don't have jobs way out in the burbs, also on the hills i'm still getting mansions poping up beside my low income houses which looks stupid. Again within a tile area ya I really have no idea either. But also remember once a city matures you get this gentrification effect that occurs in particular cities were high wealth does move into and push out low wealth this is actually happening in some inner cities quite a bit now I think. Like L.A. and New York. I think low income people are actually being pushed out of harlem right now interestingly enough.

also on the hills i'm still getting mansions poping up beside my low income houses which looks stupid.

don't forget, the rich like elevation and coastal properties. You zone in those areas, the rich will pop up if you don't lock the low/medium income into historical. 

But also remember once a city matures you get this gentrification effect that occurs in particular cities were high wealth does move into and push out low wealth

Unfortunately, my mother's neighborhood is the after effect to what you mentioned. This area was once a wealthier area (right next to a private college), but now here we are 30 years later and most of the old money is dying off, which is leaving room for the lesser wealth to creep in, which then lessens the surrounding area.  Now I have to say "it's just not the same as it used to be around here"...   

oh thanks infamousjbe, but to lock on histrocial don't you have to check a box in each building query? that's a bit monotonous. But ya I was wondering about the elevation thing thanks now i'm thinking dope! I'm using the San Francisco region map talk about hills. Gets more complicated when you talk about jobs too as if only high wealth jobs are near the area then no matter how high your low income demand is they will abandon as can't find jobs. I just ran into this a few minutes ago. P's me Off as maxis could've made commutes longer I mean jeez some people commute on freeways distance at least half a region in reality. Do they make stupid rules to try to make games hard sometimes? I think oh! I could put high density residential right next to high density dirty industry, but that looks so g-dam unrealistic I have no words to describe it.

oh thanks infamousjbe, but to lock on histrocial don't you have to check a box in each building query? that's a bit monotonous. 

Can't lie, it can be a pain, but the results will be worth it.   But you don't have to go locking 100% either. It's best used in areas you want to maintain a particular look. Or in you're case, keep Sim's 'wealths' separated.

I find that if you don't lock down Cs buildings, they WILL upgrade to COs when the demand kicks in. Not good for small local neighborhood liquor/laundry mat stores. 

Plus by locking buildings down and stifling their ability to upgrade, will also increase the demand for the other job types. Meaning, you lock most of your C buildings in CSs, you'll get mid/high rise CO buildings a lot quicker than allowing the low COs to spread out everywhere. 

Same goes for R though, any type you lock down, will then adversely increase the next wealth demand lvl. So if you want a high rise R$$$, don't let any R$$$s build anywhere on low R zoning. 

P's me Off as maxis could've made commutes longer I mean jeez some people commute on freeways distance at least half a region in reality. Do they make stupid rules to try to make games hard sometimes?

What you might be thinking is a rule, is really just broken.  Hence the reason for installing NAM if no other custom content. Without getting into the details, NAM opens up SC4 unlike the default Maxis (broken) settings. If you don't have NAM, I do (and 99.9% of the community will agree) highly suggest installing the latest version. You'll be glad you did, and won't have to worry about the traffic situation quite the same ever again. 

your right everything you say and in SimCity in general is a trade off between patience and realism. I didn't know NAM increased commute duration of residential if that is the case I will get it for my next region. It would be weird if half my current region had NAM, "some traffic genius has had some incredible breakthroughs, from turning lanes to 3 lane roads!"  

I didn't know NAM increased commute duration of residential if that is the case I will get it for my next region. It would be weird if half my current region had NAM

wouldn't say it "increased", but rather allows the Sims to be more tolerant of longer travel times to get to their job before complaining about it. 

And I wouldn't wait for a new region to install it, you'd still want to install it now, but probably want to keep the traffic control settings to normal for your current region. Then when you start a new region, if you so decide, you can then change the traffic control settings to what ever you want at that point.

As many will tell you, the default traffic controller is not very good, to say the least. With NAM, even at normal settings, will allow you better control of your city's network development. With the default Maxis traffic controller, it was IMPOSSIBLE to build any type of realistic ANYTHING.. lol   It was that bad. Trust the many that will say, get it as soon as possible. It's an unwritten (but definitely written many times) essential to playing SC4 these days. Without it, you're going to run into many problems (which will be unknown to you) at various stages of building your city. 

As you read around the forums, you'll start to understand what I mean a bit better. 

If for some reason(who am I to say otherwise) you really want to keep your game as vanilla as possible, you can, during the installation of the NAM opt to turn off everything except the traffic controller.  You will be using nothing but vanilla Maxis stuff but have the increased road/street/highway/rail/el-rail/subway capacity and the newer smarter pathing.  There are a great many players who play like this I have found out.  Sometimes even I consider using a more naked plugins folder, especially when I start to pay for having a 4gig plugins folder, like when I get about 1/4 though a city tile and the game starts to super lag on me.  A computer can only draw hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of props just so fast...

Boy, that sounds like a lot of work.  I think you must be working on a CJ to go to all that trouble.  Do you ever take the time to play?

Definitely doing a cj, I think I am going to pose the first pic tonight. lol...

If for some reason(who am I to say otherwise) you really want to keep your game as vanilla as possible, you can, during the installation of the NAM opt to turn off everything except the traffic controller.  You will be using nothing but vanilla Maxis stuff but have the increased road/street/highway/rail/el-rail/subway capacity and the newer smarter pathing.  There are a great many players who play like this I have found out.  Sometimes even I consider using a more naked plugins folder, especially when I start to pay for having a 4gig plugins folder, like when I get about 1/4 though a city tile and the game starts to super lag on me.  A computer can only draw hundreds of thousands(possibly millions) of props just so fast...

SC4 is still remarkably fun even with few mods. Most of the stuff beyond the NAM changes the look of the city rather than changing the way the game is played. My cities still contain plenty of Maxis buildings, with smatterings of custom content here and there. I use a set of custom functional airports that are Maxis-sized, but use the modular airport props and textures for a much more appealing look.