Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Apple takes a bite out of Samsung

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

Obama is unfairly favoring Apple. The earlier veto to the copyright case that should have forbidden/bricked iPhones and iPads except for the 4s, 5, and Retina Display shows bias and the upholding of the newest ruling proved it!

--Ocram

Yes, but we all know that should/would are philosophical, but engineering doesn't believe in this.

Engineering?  Are you sure you don't mean petty consumer level technology politics?

Apple's excessive patent sharking is enough to drive anybody mad.  If they were so innovative they wouldn't be so worried about people stealing their "ideas".  Tablets with rounded corners, really?  IMHO this is nothing but a blatant misuse of the patent system.  In theory patents should be there to keep ideas from being outright stolen, not to keep everyone from designing anything that remotely resembles something you crafted yourself.  This idea of "originality" can only be taken so far because it is just inevitable that folks will reach similar conclusions on their own.  What's sad is that Apple thinks they are the creative geniuses because "they thought of it first", even though their ideas are so obvious and somebody else would've come up with it themselves sooner or later.

On that note, the latest iOS looks like some funky combination of Android and Windows 8 on Windows phone.  For once, Apple is "mimicking" somebody else - though it's worth noting that many of their "features" are nothing new or innovative, they just sell you it in a prettier box.

I don't normally have such a strong opinion on Apple but this is is just absurd.  Technology should be something that continues to advance forward for everyone's sake, but Apple insists on stiffing it with this nonsense.  It's simply asinine.  They need to stop thinking only of their bottom line.  They are too much about competition and not enough about cooperation.

My $0.02..

Oh, and this video is quite relevant to the subject.  I recommend a watch. Did Apple ever really invent anything?

• Original Poster
  • ^ Don't ask.  It is just another way to get a license fee out of unsuspecting users.

And people wonder why the courts are jammed up.

• Original Poster
  • Unless the phone is an x86 variant, I would be more inclined to think it might be a variant of Linux/wine pretending to be Windows.  It isn't a good thing to have to reinvent your wheel all the time.  It is very likely Android with a wine-like layer.

Unless the phone is an x86 variant, I would be more inclined to think it might be a variant of Linux/wine pretending to be Windows. It isn't a good thing to have to reinvent your wheel all the time. It is very likely Android with a wine-like layer.
    Nope, Windows 8 is based off of NT very loosely (NT is the base for XP, Vista, and 7 as well) just with a lot of changes. Windows 8 for Windows phone is more like a simplified version of Windows RT.

--Ocram

a good analogy to how apple deals with patenting their ideas and how ridiculous this is would be to go ahead and demand a patent on a construction made of 4 walls and a roof. or a vehicle made of 4 wheels and an engine.

this company didn't earn a single dime with me and for as long as there's legally accepted competition (which seems to get thinned out thanks to apple's aggressive court-dragging behavior) they won't see me spending money on their ... stuff...

Patent laws and copyright laws always seemed weak to me. It limits creativity and efficiency. If somebody patents a device or function which I employ in a device or function I need to give tribute to them. And this creates complex structures of lords and peasantry about the consumer world. Every radio station has to pay for the songs it plays, even though any idiot with a tape recorder gain create a free though illegal copy. 

There are obviously reasons to protect these things. However some things really shouldn't be copyrighted or trademarked or patented. Things which are useful.

So in the end, even through all the dust in the fighting, Apple only wants their products to be in consumer hands. Attacking Samsung for patents based on the touchscreen technology its self is unfair by its very nature. Dozens of companies use touchscreen technology in their devices. They simply want to monopolize the mobile device market. And I'm pretty sure that's not what a capitalist free-market is.

I myself own a Galaxy S3. It's the first smart phone I've ever had and I love it. The people around me and those I work with gradually started getting their own S3's or S4's when they came out. The people I know who still own iPhones are dissatisfied with them. One guy's iPhone won't turn off at all. Apple products are inferior to what Samsung sells. The new models of the Galaxy even have technology that doesn't require you to touch the screen at all to control your phone. Last I heard, the new iPhones can't do that.

If Apple spent more money on tech development instead of dragging their feet through the courts of the world, they'd have phones that could compete technologically with Samsung. Right now, when I hold an iPhone, I just laugh and pretend to answer it like one of those child toy phones. I'm sorry, but whining over every little detail that Apple thinks Samsung is copying isn't going to make your devices better. There's a good reason Samsung out-paced Apple in global sales. 

• Original Poster
  • The present misuse of the patent/copyright system is creating a feudal technocracy that I am sure nobody really wants.  It keeps myriads of lawyers off the unemployment line. 

If one pays attention to the whole patent/copyright infringement scene one finds Monsanto, for example, trying to stop farmers from planting seed generated by crops originally grown from Monsanto's Genetically Modified seed.  Recently a patent was refused on a segment of human DNA.  It is getting ridiculous.

As ruler of this planet and sovereign of the universe, I declare DNA and any part thereof to be public domain in perpetuity.

• Original Poster
  • Yep, but the word 'human' should be struck from the decision.  Modifying living things is not subject to restriction if it produces a viable result.  Man is not ready to play God.  God doesn't patent anything.

If you can patent a machine why not a creature. I'm against the whole concept of patents and copyright. While I think the true author/designer of a product/item should always be known, I don't see why merely being the first to do something should entitle you to perpetual ownership of it...

• Original Poster
  • For some inventions, the inventor can only make back his investment and perhaps a profit if he can obtain a patent for a limited time.  Often, his only income is his license fees.  This also applies to copyright on original artistic work.  However, I do not think these things should be renewable.  A patent period of twenty years should suffice.

Aye that seems reasonable. I agree an inventor should be given a period to get something back from his work. But infinite ownership is just limiting and counterproductive.