Sign in to follow this  
fighterfungus

Found Stone Librande's SC 2013 Maxis Presentation PDF!

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have been searching around for some city inspiration and came accross something odd until I opened and started reading, I'm not sure if simtropolis folks will enjoy it but I thought it was really cool...

Enjoy!

http://www.stonetronix.com/gdc-2013/

Please note all the Simcity  stuff is under 'Simulating a City - One Page at a Time' section...

~ James.

Looking at the scale maps on pages 9 and 10, how could they have begun to think that those map sizes were going to work?  A single airport fills most of one of the maps and a single freeway interchange (kind of a common thing in a city) takes a significant chunk out of another.  Somebody should have stood up to Stone and called BS.  Ridiculous.  

I read through it, very interesting to see the thought process and some of the things that never made it into the final game.

Looks like they had envisioned a whole agricultural supply chain with grain, meat, fish, and dairy. And another chain for consumer goods for books, toys, furniture and a wood to lumber production cycle.

It also looks like they intended to have cities each be made up of multiple tiles, then multiple cities in the region. Those 2x2 kilometer grids look like they were supposed to match up to form 1 city of 4 2x2 tiles. Thats why its OK that the airport basically consumes a whole tile, because that's really only 25% of your overall city. I think that would have alleviated today's biggest complaint that the city tiles are too small.

Looking at the scale maps on pages 9 and 10, how could they have begun to think that those map sizes were going to work?

Region play.

I don't know what "region play" you're using, but mine certainly doesn't allow for anything even remotely resembling an actual city.  At best, the region play I'm using appears to be a group of visually independent small towns separated by expanses of nothingness, over which users have zero control.  IF region play were the answer, it would need to look like this...a single, potentially sprawling city:

Chicago_Downtown_Aerial_View.jpg

I read through it, very interesting to see the thought process and some of the things that never made it into the final game.

Looks like they had envisioned a whole agricultural supply chain with grain, meat, fish, and dairy. And another chain for consumer goods for books, toys, furniture and a wood to lumber production cycle.

It also looks like they intended to have cities each be made up of multiple tiles, then multiple cities in the region. Those 2x2 kilometer grids look like they were supposed to match up to form 1 city of 4 2x2 tiles. Thats why its OK that the airport basically consumes a whole tile, because that's really only 25% of your overall city. I think that would have alleviated today's biggest complaint that the city tiles are too small.

If the city tiles were flush and the roads, freeways, parks, etc crossed city boundaries, from one into the next...and it was possible to view the cities simultaneously so that at least at some point in the game, what you were building did actually look like a city...then perhaps the ridiculously small tile size would have been tolerable.  

That looks like the original concept to me, in looking at those drawings, the "cities" would be clusters of 1, 4, 9, etc abutting tiles, you get control over each of them to create one contiguous city across the 1,4,9 or however many you have. You buddy gets a cluster to himself and so on. The tiles would be contiguous, note the comment on the drawing that says "Must be able to move quickly from tile to tile" I don't remember the exact quote or page, I didn't save the ppt. file

Picture little clusters of SimCity 4 tiles within a great big SimCity 5 region. That's how I interpret their original vision. Obviously it didn't happen that way though.

It is very easy to see the whys when you can read something said by someone who really understands what it means programming the promises made by the artists and directors of creation.

"We just did not realize the ridiculous scope of the game we were trying to make, .... It Became clear que our scope was so big we were standing on the edge of this giant chasm."

- Dan Moskowitz, Senior Software Engineer at Maxis, creators of SimCity.:

Source:Game Developer Conference in San Francisco

Well ... the creators have gone out  then what last to leave that turn off the lights!

Looking at the scale maps on pages 9 and 10, how could they have begun to think that those map sizes were going to work?

Region play.

I don't know what "region play" you're using, but mine certainly doesn't allow for anything even remotely resembling an actual city.  At best, the region play I'm using appears to be a group of visually independent small towns separated by expanses of nothingness, over which users have zero control.

It's a game.

Region play.

I don't know what "region play" you're using, but mine certainly doesn't allow for anything even remotely resembling an actual city.  At best, the region play I'm using appears to be a group of visually independent small towns separated by expanses of nothingness, over which users have zero control.

It's a game.

It's a product for which people paid actual money, so folks' expectations and subsequent disappointment are legitimate.

That looks like the original concept to me, in looking at those drawings, the "cities" would be clusters of 1, 4, 9, etc abutting tiles, you get control over each of them to create one contiguous city across the 1,4,9 or however many you have. You buddy gets a cluster to himself and so on. The tiles would be contiguous, note the comment on the drawing that says "Must be able to move quickly from tile to tile" I don't remember the exact quote or page, I didn't save the ppt. file

Picture little clusters of SimCity 4 tiles within a great big SimCity 5 region. That's how I interpret their original vision. Obviously it didn't happen that way though.

Yeah, that's the impression I get as well, and I think *that* game could have actually worked. Thinking about each of those connected tiles as areas or districts of the same city, they would have actually had something worthwhile, and I think most people would have been satisfied with a game like that.

Region play.  

It's a game.

It's a product for which people paid actual money, so folks' expectations and subsequent disappointment are legitimate.

People can feel however they'd like. I paid for the game and I'm not disappointed. Did you purchase the game and are disappointed?

I don't feel dissapointed with what I've got. Everyone's opinions have equal weight no matter how many people are on their side.

Also it's not like the modders just unlocked some latent feature that Maxis turned off. They're just modifying the height property of the roads that are already in the game. It's likely that Maxis mimicked the functionality of the mod within the game's code itself so everyone has easier access to the idea the modder's had.

I don't feel dissapointed with what I've got. Everyone's opinions have equal weight no matter how many people are on their side.

Also it's not like the modders just unlocked some latent feature that Maxis turned off. They're just modifying the height property of the roads that are already in the game. It's likely that Maxis mimicked the functionality of the mod within the game's code itself so everyone has easier access to the idea the modder's had.

Hey there. I agree with your thoughts on the modding. One thing is certain: Maxis has a roadmap and you're continuing to see it unfold.