Sign in to follow this  
Lauravdl

Sims won't get educated

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi guys!

I just registered today so sorry if there's already a topic for this problem, I couldn't find one.

So my problem is that although I've got a small primary school and a small High School, my E.Q. stays low.

I've also got a health clinic to increase the lifespan of my sims.

It's a real small city, so pretty much every residential area is covered. 

I've attached a screenshot, so you can see: I've got schools that cover the area, but the E.Q. stays low.

Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

post-643151-0-66469800-1375874111_thumb.

This problem stems from your health coverage.  You Sims have lived for too long.  They have grown up beyond elementary and high school.  Give them a library, give them a museum.  For a town as small as that I would get rid of the high school altogether though.

I must also strongly suggest you download the NAM and install it, you will have serious problems that will pretty much halt your progress in the game soon without it.

• Original Poster
  • This problem stems from your health coverage.  You Sims have lived for too long.  They have grown up beyond elementary and high school.  Give them a library, give them a museum.  For a town as small as that I would get rid of the high school altogether though.

I must also strongly suggest you download the NAM and install it, you will have serious problems that will pretty much halt your progress in the game soon without it.

Yeah, I've read about it before but it's not really clear to me what it is

Could you please explain?

Yeah, I've read about it before but it's not really clear to me what it is

Could you please explain?

The original game has a great many passive errors that are not immediately obvious.  The first one you might be able to see is when you do a route query on a street, when you have a street and a road that run parallel with each other you will see Sims taking the street for no reason at all, when they should be using the road.  The pathing is really messed up in the vanilla version of the game, so bad that it will cause extremely bad traffic.

Mass transit; you will notice that your Sims in may cases just will not use the mass transit and again, for no good reason, the vanilla game just doesn't allow the Sims to use mass transit as it should.

I could go on and on, it really is endless what the NAM can do.  Even if you do not want any of the extra stuff in game, you can still download it and install the "Standard" and it will still fix all the broken stuff.

Oh and before you do that, make sure you game's .exe file is patched, no custom content will work properly without the updated version of the .exe file.  If you got your game via digital download off of steam or amazon then you likely do not need to update as it is already updated, if you bought the discs then you need the update, and make sure it is "rush hour" or "deluxe".

To check to see if your game's .exe is updated find your "maxis/simcity 4/apps"(probably located in the "program files(x86)" folder) folder, this is the game's default root file folder, in it you should find another folder called "apps" and in this folder you will find your .exe file, just right click on it and select "properties" from the drop down menu, then on the "details" tab you are looking for a number, "1.1.640.0" if the version number is not that number you need the updates, don't worry though, these updates are easy to install, just make sure to do them in order, once downloaded just open the zip and activate the installer, the rest will be taken care of for you.

The link to the updates should you need them is here:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=7, if you need these updates and you not yet done so, you will need to register to see the download button, SC4Devotion is the other most popular SC4 fansite.

Note:  The first patch fixes a few game errors.  The second patch makes night lighting on custom content work, without it most if not all custom content buidings and props will be dark at night and no lights.

Happy building!

Awesome job explaining that one brother. Also when it comes to education, like Metalpuritan was saying about the age. It also takes about 20 years for the education benefits to effect the simulation. The little sims gotta graduate before they can go out and be a smarter workforce... Luck! :D

I notice your only at year five of the city. My understanding is you font even need a school till the fifth or sixth year. Before that the little sims are too young for school. Just like you don't need a high school till about the eighth or ninth year. Just give it time, let the baby sims grow and they will go to school and start learning. Oh it's always a good idea to put at least one library and museum somewhere since adults use those.

All the previous stuff is interesting but not the problem. 

The problem is a lack of understanding of how the school systems work.  The results are not instantaneous.  This is a simulation of life, sort of. 

Your city isn't old enough to have anyone in kindergarten let alone at any kind of educational level.  Your EQ will slowly rise as the Sims get educated.  Starting at age six it takes 12 years (minimum) to get through elementary and high school.  At the end of this period you will have some R$ qualified to work in I-D, I-M, I-Ag, CS$, CS$$ and maybe CO$$. 

To get any further you will need either the University or a city college.  This will get you some R$$ after at least four years.  R$$$ are made by advanced study and experience.  Add museums and Libraries when your Population by Age display starts getting bluer.  Libraries are good anytime, but you don't need museums and art galleries until you get a population well enough educated to enjoy them.

Now you also normally have some workers (immigrants) at all levels, but babies have to grow up.

You also need to be aware of the ageing out of your population.  They retire at 65, then die.  You better have made arrangements for both natural increase and immigration or your city will die with them.

And one more thought:  How did you ever get a city that large in five Sim-years without going broke?  If you are using a money lot, you should lose it.  The Extra Cheats DLL module has a moolah command that resets the treasury to any amount you like from zero to around 999 Billion simoleans.

And one more thought: How did you ever get a city that large in five Sim-years without going broke? If you are using a money lot, you should lose it. The Extra Cheats DLL module has a moolah command that resets the treasury to any amount you like from zero to around 999 Billion simoleans.

If one has the game set to easy, it's not hard to do. I did it all the time before I started playing on hard. Remember on easy one gets half a million simoleans to play with. 5k isn't that big of a population. Also if there are other cities and demand for R is high I would start with HD-R and get thousands of sims in the first few years.

• Original Poster
  •  

And one more thought: How did you ever get a city that large in five Sim-years without going broke? If you are using a money lot, you should lose it. The Extra Cheats DLL module has a moolah command that resets the treasury to any amount you like from zero to around 999 Billion simoleans.

I justmake sure the funding for all the utilities etc. is just a bit over the demand, so I don't lose money to it.

By creating big residential zones, I get a lot of my income from taxes.

The original game has a great many passive errors that are not immediately obvious.  The first one you might be able to see is when you do a route query on a street, when you have a street and a road that run parallel with each other you will see Sims taking the street for no reason at all, when they should be using the road.  The pathing is really messed up in the vanilla version of the game, so bad that it will cause extremely bad traffic.

Mass transit; you will notice that your Sims in may cases just will not use the mass transit and again, for no good reason, the vanilla game just doesn't allow the Sims to use mass transit as it should.

I could go on and on, it really is endless what the NAM can do.  Even if you do not want any of the extra stuff in game, you can still download it and install the "Standard" and it will still fix all the broken stuff.

All of what is mentioned above is actually a function of the traffic simulator, so if you just want to fix these broken aspects of the game without installing the new networks and features of the NAM, you can choose the "Traffic Simulator Only" option in the NAM installer.  You can always rerun the installer as many times as you like and change what components of the NAM are or are not installed.

To check to see if your game's .exe is updated...

You can also just run the NAM installer, as it will do these checks automatically and lead you through any patching that needs to be made.

You can also just run the NAM installer, as it will do these checks automatically and lead you through any patching that needs to be made.

I have had my patches since the beginning of time it feels like, I wouldn't know.  Thanks for the heads up, this is much easier than rooting around to find out.

Side note: My CDs died of bad storage and old age.  I now use the download version 1,1,641 and no longer have to sweat out a new installation in little chunks, with patches and CD in the drive.  For the ten bucks or so, it is definitely worth losing all that aggravation.