Sign in to follow this  
andy4729

High Res Demand & High Indust Demand

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi there,

I recently got Sim City and have since created 3 cities. Two were practice cities that I've since given up on and now I've started a new region with my friend.

Basically, in each of the 3 cities I've created, I've ended up with exactly the same problem. I have extremely high residential demand (all three wealth types) and extremely high industrial demand. At this point though I've run out of space and building are already upgraded to medium/high density. At the same time, I keep getting residential blocks and high density industrial building being abandoned. I don't understand, why are they abandoning when there is such high demand?! I don't understand what it is I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks

What is the reason for the abandoning? try to solve those issues from the message given. You need trading buildings with industry lots to keep industry going. I usually ignore the industry demand. I have built a 200k city with just R and C and it seems to work ok. May mess things up in a region as I had 500,000 visitors to one city which has destroyed the traffic.

• Original Poster
  • I believe industrial was saying nowhere to ship freight so more trade depots perhaps? One of the reasons for residential abandonment was no money, even though my taxes are only 7% for residential.

The trick is in the fact that if you have I and C in a city you can NEVER have enough workers. It a spiral. You create R who needs C to shop at C needs R for workers, C also wants I for freight and R wants I for jobs. The main problem and why it's a spiral and not a circle is because in order to satisfy R's shoppers you need so many workers for C and by extension I that you ALWAYS need more R. And if you always need more R they always want more C and I. The homes you make simply don't give enough workers to cover their own needs.

Most likely a result of the agent system and the fact that your population of 100 k has 12 k agents to work and 6 k to shop. 

No money problems is solved in two ways: no unemployment, low taxes(as in down to <5% at min)

Nah, go with the lacks of jobs until your entire city is medium density. Develop your specialization, earn about a million, then make a new city filed with R and only a bit of C. Build a good transportation system (bus, train, boat) and let the unemployed from the new city work at your first city.

Tip: High wealth residents don't use public transportation. So in order to fill in those jobs, while avoiding them using cars and adding to traffic, set up a high wealth zone in your first city. I know, I know... what if your mining and smelting and now in all that air pollution you have to set up high wealth residents... it's just how the game works. For now at least.

It's how the game was made to be played. If you fight it you will never be able to play it properly. People really have to stop trying to play this game like its SimCity 5.

You've hit the nail on the head there. I've been playing alot recently and most of the problems I'm experiencing is because I'm trying to play it like previous SimCity games and not using multiple cities to support each other. I've just started switching to multiple cities and things are all ready going better (both cities are making a healthy profit and managing to build a great work between them)

It's how the game was made to be played. If you fight it you will never be able to play it properly. People really have to stop trying to play this game like its SimCity 5.

Exactly. Just don't take on the game as a simulation. It's not. It makes use of that, but that is not the aim of the game. That is merely to have a quick bit of fun putting something shiny together. 

For more insight in to the underlying issues of RCI, this topic and this one on reddit are quite interesting.