Sign in to follow this  
Districtopia

Spacing of grid system

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

How is everyone spacing their roads to maximize space? In SC4 I did 6x11 or 6x12 grid system in most of my cities with some diagonal avenues mixed in to increase traffic flow across the city. In SC 2013 I am struggling to figure out the best way to do it to maximize space because of the lack of grids in the game. I can't stand how the road guides change depending on what type (low/med/high density street or med/high density avenue) you are laying down. I always start with low density streets, for obvious reasons, but this doesn't lend itself well to maximizing space for future development of highrises. If you go by the road guide you get roughly a 5 tile wide square which is big enough to fit one skyscraper but leaves you with about 2.5 blocks left. This lends itself to having a city of skyscrapers stacked up against a bunch of small buildings later in the game. I could roughly guess how big my grids need to be and ignore the road guide but, again, I'm really trying to maximize space given the small size of city tiles.

Tips, pictures, suggestions?

Discuss........

Place your avenues for traffic then use dirt roads which you will turn into streets later at 90 degree angle from the avenue. Zone only on the inside and out side of the streets that are parallel to each other, never zone onto an avenue if you have a street parallel to it.

I find that the best way to zone is to avoid any cross between streets and avenues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By katrosa1
      So, I'm having a problem with several of my residential buildings going abandoned for no reason. I demolish them, they get rebuilt, new sims move in and are happy, then about 5 mins later they say something like "it was fun but we're moving out!!" and not give an actual reason as to why. 
      Did I do something wrong? 
    • By Bad Peanut
      Hey guys, new Poll!
      Please choose out of the following options for a 32m wide network which will have 4 tram tracks.
      The idea is that this is still a station track prefab so it will only be able to be placed inside an asset (so similar to monorail station tracks). This is due to the fact it will be using a unique track configuration which I will make compatible with the CO vanilla groups (they will connect visually with any tram network using the same connect groups as snowfall tracks)
      The trams will be able to stop on each set of track so you can have 4 separate parallel stops on the same road.

Please keep in mind the following:
      - DLC required for lanes,
      - platform widths (some of them are very skinny so maybe they're not as good)
      - overall usability as a medium road.
      - vehicle flow compatibility with vanilla/DLC roads

FYI red tram lanes are tram only (not bus as well)

IF you think of a better layout still vote on the above, but also POST a streetmix pic illustrating exactly how it can work within 32m and with the correct widths for lanes/platforms
    • By Linoa06
      I think I do have a good idea how RCI works, but is there any data out there that shows in detail the inner workings of the RCI demand system? Not their effect on the city but literally how demand is generated/calculated. Just curious ;o
      Sorry if that's already been answered somewhere else - I haven't been able to find anything :/
    • By Bad Peanut
      deleted
    • By huzman
      Thanks to @CorinaMarie, I discovered 50 files of various RCI buildings, very pretty, very American, by a long gone bater @dk1.
      There are NO dependencies in any of the files. Many (all?) are improvements from the default MAXIS ones.
      Now my question: how can I place them in my plugins folder without creating more havoc. Ideally, they should stay together in a dedicated folder, but with what name?
      Thanks for your comments.