Sign in to follow this  
oldbrokenlink

cities xl platinum on sale origin selling for $12.49 & steam for $20.09

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

B-but, it says Cities XL 2012 on Origin

and Citiex XL Platinum on Steam!

Are they the same?

no they are not... You can upgrade CXL 2011 and 2012 to CXL Platinium, so, the lastest is Platinium, and it's the one having the more content.

• Original Poster
  • originally when i created the post origin had cities xl platinum and cities xl 2012 for sale but they removed the cities xl platinum and left the cities xl 2012

since it will cost u $12.5 + 5 = 17.5

steam is $20

and when its 75% off its like $7.5, but for that you have to wait for like stean summer sale

and u do want the cities xl platinum it has nice fixes.

i personally would get the steam one since they keep it updated for u.

• Original Poster
  • honestly there is no memory leak

what there is is that, like most other games including latest simcity, the game logic runs on a single thread

so as the cities grows and becomes more complex it slows down

u can imagine that there is only so much a single core can do

anyways no easy fix, most games including civilization, simcity, even arma 3 have this problem

Memory leaks were fixed 2-3 months after the initial game release several years ago. I doubt they would have add some new ones.

oldbrokenlink: Yeah, I noticed the single-threading of Simcity, and I find THIS ashaming... Almost as ashaming that not providing a 64 bits exe, so having to limit to a low quantity of ram :(

Coding with a threaded approach is not hard at all if done from the begining of the coding phase, I just don't get it about why they don't do it for recent games where they have constantly to deal with performences issues. Threading the game in 3 or 4 separate threads each one managing a different aspect of the simulation would have solved most of performances issues, and maybe we wouldn't have so ridiculously tiny maps.

I'm starting to think that most of dev studios nowadays are just incompetent and stick to their old ways of coding they learned decades ago. That's sad :(.

• Original Poster
  • yeah

part of problem is that game developers are not the same as business application developers or systems developers

so threading appears to be heard for them

also they tend to continue to use the same old way, which goes back to same days of gaming

if u pick up a book on gaming u will see this

and they continue to use the same old engines.

simcity really evolved version of sims 3 / spores engine, down to the archive format

and yes its time that games move to 64 bit and native threading.

sadly it will take time and a new generation of game developers and game engines.

even unreal 4 with all the eye candy is still single threaded!

part of problem is the use of 32-bit interpreted scripting languages for the game logic that do not support native threading and that do not have native compilers or jits!

cities xl platinum on sale

origin selling for $12.49 (may not be steam version)

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/pd/productID.256144900/sac.true

steam for $20.09

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231140/?snr=1_7_15__13

if you already own cities xl 2011/2012 the upgrade is just $4.50, so dont overpay!

Actually these prices are no longer available!! Just checked your links!!

Anyway I wouldn't just buy a game that I have never tried yet! There are no demo's available!!! Everyone just wants you to pan out 25-30 bucks for something that may or may not work????? I don't think so!!! I may have went for the 12.50 at steam but there's nothing there except for the Platinum for 30 bucks!! If you check around it seems either no one has it available and the ones that do they want you to pay up front with NO guarentee

So I say they just lost a prospective/future buyer!!!

Memory leaks were fixed 2-3 months after the initial game release several years ago. I doubt they would have add some new ones.

oldbrokenlink: Yeah, I noticed the single-threading of Simcity, and I find THIS ashaming... Almost as ashaming that not providing a 64 bits exe, so having to limit to a low quantity of ram :(

Coding with a threaded approach is not hard at all if done from the begining of the coding phase, I just don't get it about why they don't do it for recent games where they have constantly to deal with performences issues. Threading the game in 3 or 4 separate threads each one managing a different aspect of the simulation would have solved most of performances issues, and maybe we wouldn't have so ridiculously tiny maps.

I'm starting to think that most of dev studios nowadays are just incompetent and stick to their old ways of coding they learned decades ago. That's sad :(.

No, they were never fixed. They exist in every single Cities XL release. 

There are plenty of remedies to the memory leak (and I must say it is debatable whether it is really a leak or something else; I've heard arguments for several different potential causes).

One is as simple as to exit your city every now and then - that has demonstrated success. Check out XL Nation for other solutions.

steam for $20.09

if you already own cities xl 2011/2012 the upgrade is just $4.50, so dont overpay!

Anyway I wouldn't just buy a game that I have never tried yet! There are no demo's available!!! Everyone just wants you to pan out 25-30 bucks for something that may or may not work????? I don't think so!!! I may have went for the 12.50 at steam but there's nothing there except for the Platinum for 30 bucks!! If you check around it seems either no one has it available and the ones that do they want you to pay up front with NO guarentee

Sales usually involve a time limit, last time I checked.  :P

There are plenty of remedies to the memory leak (and I must say it is debatable whether it is really a leak or something else; I've heard arguments for several different potential causes).

One is as simple as to exit your city every now and then - that has demonstrated success. Check out XL Nation for other solutions.

steam for $20.09

Sales usually involve a time limit, last time I checked.  :P

Must have been a 1 day sale! :lol:

It really depends on what the upgrade includes, but whatever floats your boat

Actually it wouldn't have been an upgrade for me I don't have any version of citiesxl. I was thinking about getting it. Found a demo on fileplanet but the demo isn't valid. you have to activate the demo and they killed the demo back in 2009. I emailed them and they said they have no plans on any sales or putting out anymore demo's of the game. Sounds like they are getting ready to kill it completely! So probably just as well I didn't pay for it..

Brad